• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer Targets - choose 4 - You are the Manager.

sell Bale and get Villa in return with barca paying the difference in his wages
Adebayor
Hazard
Vertonghen

_________Adebayor
___Villa_____Vdv___Hazard
_______Modric_Sandro

BAE Vertonghen Kaboul Walker

This is jizz worthy and while Ade, Vertoghen and even Hazard are possible transfers, Villa wouldn't come here even if Bale was used in part exchange. Nice though.

_________Adebayor
___Bale_____Vdv___Hazard
_______Modric_Sandro

Our B team :)

_________Leandro
___Remy___Dembele___Lennon
_______Hudd__Parker

And you must hate that.

No - it's great. I just don't like traditional meat-headed, poor technique British players (other than Dawson - you always need one agricultural CB). Very pleased to see ones here who have been developed to play in a bit more intelligent, cultured way.

I think this question should have been asked on Sunday at 4.45pm rather than two days before.

Infact you could argue that it would change in a week and a bits time (if we finish fourth)

It would drastically change

I love how everyone has Vertonghen in their choices and I bet most haven't even seen him play, let alone watched him for a lot of games 8-[

I've had the pleasure of watching him play, he really is a great prospect and I hope he ends up here. For what it's worth, here's what I know.

Shortly put he is a left footed central defender who joins the attack very often. Very agile and fairly quick. He is also a very intelligent player who reads the game well. You'll often see him intercepting passes and then go on to run the ball 30-40 meters up the field before passing. Technically great for a central defender (just watch the provided, obligatory youtube video at 1:54!), most obvious his passing which is excellent. He scored 8 goals in 30 games for Ajax this season, none of which are penalties, not bad for a central defender. Considering he is just 25 (this april) this is a player who could potentially serve the club for many years.

Much like Vermaelen he likes to go forward, and often leaves gaps behind him. Suggesting him alongside Kaboul might not be a good idea for that reason as Kaboul is our main 'stopper'. He would need a covering partner, or mainly be played in games where we expect to dominate so he can join the attack.

He would learn tons if he joined us as he would learn from Ledley and Gallas before they fade away into football history.

My personal opinion:

Must buy if possible.
Luka Modric would thrive with Vertonghen behind him simply because he wouldn't have to come low to pick up the ball as often. Vertonghen is able to pass quick balls along the field up into space, something our current defenders do not, meaning we would have an added threat in terms of speedy attacks. I am not confident we have a good enough pairing for him atm, but I might end up wrong on that anyway. Caulker perhaps? I know little of Caulker.

Obligatory youtube:

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgFKV6sfhPs[/video]

edit: just realised that in the situation at 1.54 the ref had blown the whistle, but whatever. He's got great technique regardless.

Last edited:
always good to see the whole concept of a British team die.......

how long before a Spurs side without and Englishman or a British player in it?

The problem with English players is that they are massively overhyped, meaning that you can buy Radamel Falcao for the same price as Andy Carroll, Sandro for 1/3 of the price of Gareth Barry etc. On the whole, the English players that we can afford aren't good enough and the ones that are good enough we can't afford.

It's a bit sad that we've stopped signing the most talented prospect from the lower divisions though.
Like we used to with Lennon, Huddlestone, Dawson, Bale etc.
But I guess we've grown past that level and that today those wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to grow to their max potential at Spurs. You'd assume that 7 years ago Kane, Bostock, Townsend and Smith, not to mention Caulker, would have found it easier to get first team opportunities in our side.

I've had the pleasure of watching him play, he really is a great prospect and I hope he ends up here. For what it's worth, here's what I know.

Shortly put he is a left footed central defender who joins the attack very often. Very agile and fairly quick. He is also a very intelligent player who reads the game well. You'll often see him intercepting passes and then go on to run the ball 30-40 meters up the field before passing. Technically great for a central defender (just watch the provided, obligatory youtube video at 1:54!), most obvious his passing which is excellent. He scored 8 goals in 30 games for Ajax this season, none of which are penalties, not bad for a central defender. Considering he is just 25 (this april) this is a player who could potentially serve the club for many years.

Much like Vermaelen he likes to go forward, and often leaves gaps behind him. Suggesting him alongside Kaboul might not be a good idea for that reason as Kaboul is our main 'stopper'. He would need a covering partner, or mainly be played in games where we expect to dominate so he can join the attack.

He would learn tons if he joined us as he would learn from Ledley and Gallas before they fade away into football history.

My personal opinion:

Must buy if possible.
Luka Modric would thrive with Vertonghen behind him simply because he wouldn't have to come low to pick up the ball as often. Vertonghen is able to pass quick balls along the field up into space, something our current defenders do not, meaning we would have an added threat in terms of speedy attacks. I am not confident we have a good enough pairing for him atm, but I might end up wrong on that anyway. Caulker perhaps? I know little of Caulker.

Obligatory youtube:

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgFKV6sfhPs[/video]

edit: just realised that in the situation at 1.54 the ref had blown the whistle, but whatever. He's got great technique regardless.

Thanks, looks like you know something about him which is more than most people on here. The thing is, it's all about balance.

We have Kaboul and Dawson. Both love to attack the ball. That is one of the main reasons they look terrible paired with each other. IF we stick with one of them next year, then whoever partners them needs to be disciplined and be the sort of central defender that will drop off when they attack the ball, and sweep up after them. They'll also need a certain amount of pace to be able to do this.

Also to add to this, Dawson and Kaboul are best played as right side centre backs. This means whoever is on the left needs to also be very aware and cover for Ekotto, whose positional sense and anticipation is dreadful (by Premiership standards) so that player has to be a clever centre half in my opinion with excellent reading of the game.

This is what I don't understand with certain fans who just pick names out because they're good players. For example, Vidic is a great ball attacking defender. Pair him with Dawson or Kaboul and it would be a disaster waiting to happen because it's an unbalanced partnership. It's as daft as pairing two strikers or two attacking central midfielders in a 4-4-2. Doesn't matter how good the players are.

So I am pleased it would appear that he is a more intelligent sounding defender, although if paired with Dawson and Kaboul he'll have to curb that attacking instinct and play the deeper out of the two.

Vertonghan
Adebayor
Hoillet
Lloris

and if I'm being greedy then Leandro as well!!

(I'm assuming that people like Hazard are out of reach)

Don't know about the individual players but I do know we need :

A new left back
A new centre half
Two new forwards

That's our essentials. We definitely need cover for right midfield too. I'd definitely take Yakabu as one of our two new forwards if he is available on a free. I'd be interested in Baines too, especially as he works so well with Pienaar on the left (who I'd keep as Bale's back up). Basically I'd like to see next years team line up as (and by picking Walker over Corluka I am assuming Charlie's gone):

--------------------Friedel-----------------------
Walker----Dawson-----New Player-----New Player
Lennon----Sandro-----Modric---------Bale
-------------------VDV-----------------------
----------------New Striker------------------

Of course if we are talking Audere Est Facere, then I'd like us to try something a bit different next season based on the fact that our team keeps possession superbly so the defence isn't pressured as much from open play....

----------------Friedel-----------------------
------Kaboul----Huddlestone------New Player
Walker---------------------------------------Bale
----------Sandro-------Modric----------------
--------------------VDV------------------------
-------------New Player----New Player------

A thread about potential signings and MK still manages to get digs in on Ekotto and Kaboul, you've got to admire the determination really.

Back