• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Caulker

If they're all fit again I wouldn't be surprised to see Dawson leave. He is AVB's 5th choice CB after all.

If they're all fit again I wouldn't be surprised to see Dawson leave. He is AVB's 5th choice CB after all.

Daws was picked over Gallas the last time they were both fit though(away to Fulham). I imagine Gallas will keep his place though after a strong performance against Swansea.

I may be a lone voice, but I don't rate him.

He ball watches and is slow to turn, he gets caught out of position often and is slow to recover. His left foot is very weak and his passing out of defence is limited.

On the plus side, he is youngish and he can head the ball, but he doesn't dominate, maybe that will come in time. He's been a reasonable cover for Kaboul but nowhere near his ability or class, and won't ever be.

I've got to say that the vast vast majority of Swansea fans who saw him play a full season in the Premiership do not agree with that analysis. And they watched him perform under pressure for a year.

You undermine your post to the point of irrelevance by proclaiming that he will never be near Kaboul's class. You simply do not and can not know that. It is folly to state otherwise.

Is Gallas not out of contract in the summer? Can see him leaving at the end of the season either way tbf which will bump Daws up a position as a result. After seemingly being ready to move him on in the summer there have been recent quotes suggesting Villa Boas is not prepared to see him leave in Jan - says to me that possibly he is proving his worth and has a chance to stay beyond this season.

Anyone else worried by the lad's persistent habit of ball watching? I guess all young central defenders suffer these lapses from time to time but it is becoming annoyingly regular...

i don't think its ball watching but more a lack of understanding.
dawson in particular has this instant reaction thing that can leave his partner exposed.
if i were playing alongside him i'd wait to see what he'd do before i react.
remember that it used to be dawson and king/gallas before

I don't think Caulker is any worse at his stage of a career than either Dawson or Kaboul were when they first came to us. Might not get to the very top level but he did incredibly well for the Swans last season and has done well most of the time when called upon this season.

I know defence and attack get judged by different standards (as defensive laspes can cost actually goals but when Ade, JD or Bale eff up it is only a chance lost) but Caulker's mistakes or poor psoitioning is probably no worse than many of our 'star' front players.

He will get better and better, a very good prospect for the future ( he definately gets caught ball watching to often at the moment though).

Caulker will never make it, just isn't good enough. He's regularly caught on the back foot ball watching and out of position, he has weak left foot and always passes sideways or into touch. Looks nervous and out of his depth. Not good enough for a top 4 team. Watching him makes me nervous. And he's not young any more, by now he should have progressed, he hasn't.

Caulker will never make it, just isn't good enough. He's regularly caught on the back foot ball watching and out of position, he has weak left foot and always passes sideways or into touch. Looks nervous and out of his depth. Not good enough for a top 4 team. Watching him makes me nervous. And he's not young any more, by now he should have progressed, he hasn't.

Caulker is 20 years old, how many 20 year old CBs look a good as him at that age? For a CB a lot of the game comes with experience. King never really turned into the player he was until he after the last season with pleat.

nonsense. i suggest you watch caulker closely next time

Caulker is 20 years old, how many 20 year old CBs look a good as him at that age? For a CB a lot of the game comes with experience. King never really turned into the player he was until he after the last season with pleat.

This. Experience is key with a CB and can take years of playing, hence why a CB's best years are around 27-33. Caulkers got all the attributes to be very good at the role as long as he get the game time he'll continue to develop. I'd compare him at a similar development level to Phil Jones who no doubt will become an excellent CB in the future but both need more time to mature into the role.

Did you watch him at Swansea last season where he was excellent at passing and bring the ball out of defence? Different kind of pressure on him playing in the Spurs first team pushing for CL something which he has to get used to. It would be wrong to expect instant success with someone so young and inexperienced.

I did watch a few times at Swansea last season and he looked the same, nervous and lacking in confidence. He made forward runs but they always ended in a weak pass sideways or a short pass forward, no vision, no defence splitting passes, just running into empty areas and releasing the ball. Ashley Williams was continuously covering for his poor positional sense and ball watching. I'm still seeing the same, no real progress.
I really would be happy if he matured into something better but I honestly don't see it in him.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if that's yours fair enough, your totally wrong mind :)

Caulker like any 20 year old is gonna make mistakes, he's no way perfect but I would take him over a lot of other defenders in this league. I admit he can be caught ball watching at times, but on the positive he can bring the ball out of defense excellently he's very comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if that's yours fair enough, your totally wrong mind :)

Caulker like any 20 year old is gonna make mistakes, he's no way perfect but I would take him over a lot of other defenders in this league. I admit he can be caught ball watching at times, but on the positive he can bring the ball out of defense excellently he's very comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Plus he offers such a presence at corners - no surprise that we looked so much more dangerous at set pieces yesterday

I grant you he's tall and good at jumping in the air, but so is Andy Carroll and some of the Stoke team, but that doesn't warrant inclusion in a top 4 side.

I grant you he's tall and good at jumping in the air, but so is Andy Carroll and some of the Stoke team, but that doesn't warrant inclusion in a top 4 side.

You are perfectly right but if the kid improves our attacking and makes us more dangerous at set pieces, to my mind it compensates to some extent deficiencies in defending.

Back