• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Caulker

Undoubtedly. But that's unfair label to place on Caulker. I remember seeing King in his teens and marvelling how superb he was. By the time King was 21 he was in the top five centre halves in the Premiership.

I would nit-pick that it was that summer, when the judas had defected, that he fully became the centre half we knew and loved (Glenn had experimented with him as a DM of course)...even more churlishly, he could be seen as at fault for the Blackburn winner in the 2001 CCF. He certainly came intohis own quickly thereafter, but there were still a few mistakes here and there at that time in his career IMO.

EDIT: Just read through the rest of the thread and registered your note of CCF. And yes, he is the best tackler I have seen along with Perryman, and probably better than Stevie because frankly, I can count the yellow cards Ledley got on one hand!

Anybody got any thoughts on why Caulker was left out today?

Possibly to do with the last 3/4 minutes last week? Saving him for Stoke?

I think it's more to do with putting the more mobile defender in Naughton at left back to deal with pace and trickery of Dyer, rather than Vertonghen.

This obviously freed up Super Jan to take his rightful place at centre back. You could argue Caulker should have retained his place at the expense of Gallas, but considering he is captain that would always be unlikely, regardless of the mistake at Everton.

As it was, Naughton had one of his stronger performances and kept Dyer quiet while Gallas and Super Jan marshalled Michu well. Good call AVB.

I think it's more to do with putting the more mobile defender in Naughton at left back to deal with pace and trickery of Dyer, rather than Vertonghen.

This obviously freed up Super Jan to take his rightful place at centre back. You could argue Caulker should have retained his place at the expense of Gallas, but considering he is captain that would always be unlikely, regardless of the mistake at Everton.

As it was, Naughton had one of his stronger performances and kept Dyer quiet while Gallas and Super Jan marshalled Michu well. Good call AVB.

Defensively yeah, offensively he'd had a few too many Weetabix for his crosses.

Hmm..shows a ruthless side is there when needs be.

Good

He has shown a ruthless side in the past, not sure if this was it.

Most of the season Gallas has been a starter in the Premier League when fit. Seemed like AVB made an exception against Stoke wannabee West Ham to bring in Dawson and that's about it.

Sounds like euphoric recall to me. Personally I think Caulker is better at age 20 as I feel Ledley never really stepped it up until he hit 24~.

Bang on the money. Ledley was always a great prospect but never got it right consistently until around 24 as u say. For me the start was when he started against France(2004)? and marked Henry out game. I think since that game he realised how good he can be.

And I'd definitely say caulker was better at the same age. (not to say he will be better)

Personally I hope it was a little kick up the arse after the west ham and 1st Everton goal which he should have done better! When Kaboul is fit, AVB is going to have a bloody hard job!

I'd say King was better than Caulker as a prospect at Caulker's age age now, but Caulker probably is the better CB as of now compared to Ledly back then. Leds still wasn't quite sure of his best position I think, and certainly he hadn't learned to head the ball as well as Caulker, which is crucial for most CBs in the Prem. I was a bigger fan of Leds than I am of Caulker though in the sense that Leds oozed class and potential. I think Stephen's great BTW, but King had something very special about him, that was massively evident in his 'full TV debut' where he got MOTM v Liverpool.

not sure if thats a good idea

personally i dont think thats why caulker was dropped.

avb has shown that he can be fair in these things.

Agree with that. I think he just wanted Naughton on the left and saw Gallas/Verts as the best pairing in the middle.

What I noticed yesterday was the amount of freedom going forward our full backs had. What I mean for Walker ended up out the left at time and Naughton came inside similarly, It wasnt just he usual up the line stuff it was Bale-esque roaming.
When this happened the other full back stayed back. The Centre back on that side filled in for the attacking full back. So we had Vertonghen Gallas Walker as back 3 when Naughton turned up in the centre of midfield and we had Naughton Vertonghen Gallas as back three when Walker was wandering free. I think Gallas was playing because Caulker wouldn't be able to do this part time right back role that Gallas played to perfection.

What I noticed yesterday was the amount of freedom going forward our full backs had. What I mean for Walker ended up out the left at time and Naughton came inside similarly, It wasnt just he usual up the line stuff it was Bale-esque roaming.
When this happened the other full back stayed back. The Centre back on that side filled in for the attacking full back. So we had Vertonghen Gallas Walker as back 3 when Naughton turned up in the centre of midfield and we had Naughton Vertonghen Gallas as back three when Walker was wandering free. I think Gallas was playing because Caulker wouldn't be able to do this part time right back role that Gallas played to perfection.

Hmmm...very interesting...:-k

its called a wonky

so if they're all fit ....would Caulker be happy on the bench? it has to be verts and kaboul as first choice, and dawson is more senior.

Back