• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Starting 11?

Re: New season's best starting 11?

A Schneiderlin/Capoue partnership would be very samey IMO. They both have similar traits and occupy the same space on the pitch. It could work I suppose but I'm thinking they'll be competing for the same spot (if we sign Schneiderlin that is).

--------------Lloris (c)----------
Walker--Musachhio---Jan------Davies
------Paulinho-------Capoue----------
Lamela------Holtby--------Eriksen
-------------Soldado----------------

I know everybody hates Paulinho, but I remain a fan of his. He was simply too good before last season for me to believe that he has become totally useless when he should be entering his prime. I don't think he'll start right away, but ultimately, I think he'll nail down one of those two spots. I might be the last Spurs fan who believes in him, but I think he'll come good.

My only real issue with this team is I'd love to see us sign one more super high-end attacking midfielder to nominally play on the left (I want my front four to be totally interchangeable). I thought about putting Ade in that #10, but I don't think he has the stamina to press how Poch would like him to. Lennon, to me, isn't enough of a threat, and I really struggle with Townsend as a footballer. I don't think he adds enough to the team to be a starter at the level we want to get to. I have no idea if Depay is a possibility, but I could see us maybe going back for Konoplyanka or Rodriguez would seem to make a lot of sense.

I like Holtby as a guy and as a footballer, but I'm not sure he's going to be dangerous enough to be an every-week starter in an attacking four. I would love to find somebody with a bit more pace, but I do think Holtby has a lovely range of passing and the potential to score goals. Just worried about whether we will be able to get in behind defenses without a little more pace in the side.

I think that the two deep position's need to be occupied by at least one playing with a good passing range, as Poch does seem to favour switching play to create space. Capoue does it well but not great so I'd prefer a midfielder like Mason, Bentaleb or Holtby alonside him. For me Paulinho and Dembele could work alongside Capoue but would be better off alongside someone like Schneiderlin.

A Schneiderlin/Capoue partnership would be very samey IMO. They both have similar traits and occupy the same space on the pitch. It could work I suppose but I'm thinking they'll be competing for the same spot (if we sign Schneiderlin that is).

They're similar in that they're both very complete midfield players imo. It really depends on the traits of the player - for example, two Sandros wouldn't be ideal in midfield, but two Schneiderlins would be very effective, with 1 deeper and 1 more advanced.

In a 4-2-3-1 formation, a Capoue/Schneiderlin midfield would be excellent imo, both read the game very well, both are very effective defensively, both pass the ball excellently and move it forward very well. Schneiderlin is a bit more mobile than Capoue, so my guess would be Capoue sitting in front of the back 4 Carrick style, with Schneiderlin more advanced as more of a deep lying playmaker. If we sign Schneiderlin, I think Bentaleb would be the most obvious backup.

The same was true at Southampton - Poch signed Wanyama to sit deeper so that Schneiderlin had more freedom.

Don't know if it makes me a little englander or a traditionalist but I always like us to have a core of English players in our team. It was always a stick we could shake at the goons and chavski but now we could feasibly field an entirely non-English XI; only Walker seems to feature in everyone's best starting XI.

How important do you all think it is for us to have several English players in our team? I'd always like us to have at least 4 .

I don't think it's a little Englander mentality at all. Given the recent exploits of the national team I think it's fair that we start thinking about helping to bring through good, young, English players. One day I hope to see 4-5 of our starting lineup being English.

Maybe a question for another thread, but has anyone else notice how most of the top clubs seem to have English defenders/deep midfielders but all the flair/creativity comes from players from abroad?? Look at the 1st choice most advanced four players from each team last season and look for the English players:

City: None
Chelsea: None
Arsenal are a bit better with Wheelchair, Ox and Walcott all rotating through their lineup, but really Ramsey, Ozil and Cazorla are their starters.
Liverpool were the exception with Sturridge and Sterling as starters in the advanced slots.
Everton: Barkley wasn't starting all the time as he's young but other than him only Osman was getting a shot.
Spurs: Lennon or Townsend.
UTD: Rooney and to an extent Welbeck. Young got time every now and then.
Southampton: All four of their offensive players (Davis, Lallana, Rodriguez and Lambert) were English.

Creative players just aren't coming through the ranks that steadily. Is it a case of our clubs not training players the right way or the youth just not getting a chance?

Last edited:

Schneiderlin and Dembele simply wouldn't work for me. I think it's either or between them two and I'd go with Schneiderlin.

I was more thinking Dembele and Capoue. Super strong defensively. Both able to fill in at the back. Not just for full backs but also for say Verts or Kaboul who are both pretty good surging forward. Capoue can hit his vertical passes, and Dembele open up space. I think they could work together.

But we have too many options in the middle. You can make the argument for any of Sandro, Paulinho, Mason, Bentaleb as well. We need sell at least one, and loan one.

Not necessarily just English but I like to see products of our academy in the team, I love Nabil for example and hope he can be Spurs captain one day.

I don't think it's a little Englander mentality at all. Given the recent exploits of the national team I think it's fair that we start thinking about helping to bring through good, young, English players. One day I hope to see 4-5 of our starting lineup being English.

Maybe a question for another thread, but has anyone else notice how most of the top clubs seem to have English defenders/deep midfielders but all the flair/creativity comes from players from abroad?? Look at the 1st choice most advanced four players from each team last season and look for the English players:

City: None
Chelsea: None
Arsenal are a bit better with Wheelchair, Ox and Walcott all rotating through their lineup, but really Ramsey, Ozil and Cazorla are their starters.
Liverpool were the exception with Sturridge and Sterling as starters in the advanced slots.
Everton: Barkley wasn't starting all the time as he's young but other than him only Osman was getting a shot.
Spurs: Lennon or Townsend.
UTD: Rooney and to an extent Welbeck. Young got time every now and then.
Southampton: All four of their offensive players (Davis, Lallana, Rodriguez and Lambert) were English.

Creative players just aren't coming through the ranks that steadily. Is it a case of our clubs not training players the right way or the youth just not getting a chance?

I think that's fair, but I'm struggling to see who the English attacking talents are that we should be looking at. I actually think Welbeck is a bit under-rated and would welcome him to Spurs, along with Rodriguez. It's interesting to see how many of the young English attackers are going to be sitting on the bench at United: Nick Powell, Zaha, Cleverly (who I think has talent), and Lingard. I would be against taking a punt on any of those guys, especially Powell who seemed such an exciting prospect.

Not necessarily just English but I like to see products of our academy in the team, I love Nabil for example and hope he can be Spurs captain one day.

very true. Townsend too, love that he's a spurs fan too. Wish him all the best But I just think he's massively overrated

They're similar in that they're both very complete midfield players imo. It really depends on the traits of the player - for example, two Sandros wouldn't be ideal in midfield, but two Schneiderlins would be very effective, with 1 deeper and 1 more advanced.

In a 4-2-3-1 formation, a Capoue/Schneiderlin midfield would be excellent imo, both read the game very well, both are very effective defensively, both pass the ball excellently and move it forward very well. Schneiderlin is a bit more mobile than Capoue, so my guess would be Capoue sitting in front of the back 4 Carrick style, with Schneiderlin more advanced as more of a deep lying playmaker. If we sign Schneiderlin, I think Bentaleb would be the most obvious backup.

The same was true at Southampton - Poch signed Wanyama to sit deeper so that Schneiderlin had more freedom.

As I said it may work but the similarities in their playing style go beyond them both being complete midfielders. At the risk of slipping into pedantry both players would hardly be classed as ball carriers for example. To my eyes they are both deep lying play makers that can also tackle. Although Schneiderlin was paired with Wanayama that partnership was not a success and this is largely being put down to Wanayama's poor form in the DM role, and I was one that coveted Wanyama before his Southampton move. Schneiderlin was deployed deeper and I'm pretty sure that this is what we have in mind for him too. To me it makes no sense to potentially loose that effectiveness by playing him in a different role further up the pitch.

Checking back through Southampton line-ups last season, Schneiderlin either lined up alongside Wanyama or Cork. On the odd occasion he was deployed as the deeper of a three with Ward-Prowse and Davis but from quickly browsing it appears that there was usually a defensive foil alongside him.

well written...from another perspective it means a more solid defensive core over a wider area in the centre that means we can push the rest of the midfielders wider/farther ahead with less defensive duties.

only trick is to get all the players to see the big picture and to understand how to be a proper cog that makes the grand scheme work.

Based on pre-season so far and expected signings:

_______________________LLORIS

WALKER______MASACCHIO______VERTONGHEN_______DAVIES

____________SCHNEIDERLIN_____CAPOUE

LENNON________________LAMELA_______________ERIKSEN

_____________________ADEBAYOR

Poch could quite easily make him a star. He has all the attributes and still so young. Good on the ball, likes a pass, first time passing, good height and strength, good energy, not afraid to put a foot in. Could be very useful.

Poch could quite easily make him a star. He has all the attributes and still so young. Good on the ball, likes a pass, first time passing, good height and strength, good energy, not afraid to put a foot in. Could be very useful.

I didn't catch a lot of Algeria's games in the WC but was did he look comfortable on that stage?

When I look at the make up of our squad, and performances in pre season I must say I am not convinced that Poch is going to go with a "first choice starting 11". I think he will mix and match accordingly

Based on pre-season so far and expected signings:

_______________________LLORIS

WALKER______MASACCHIO______VERTONGHEN_______DAVIES

____________SCHNEIDERLIN_____CAPOUE

LENNON________________LAMELA_______________ERIKSEN

_____________________ADEBAYOR

I disagree, based on pre season Walker does not make the line up, not when you consider Naughton has played well while Walker has been conspicuous by his absence.

I would also suggest that Holtby has definitely been one of our best players in pre season.

While people may argue that Davies is the better player based on pre season he has not outshone rose

When I look at the make up of our squad, and performances in pre season I must say I am not convinced that Poch is going to go with a "first choice starting 11". I think he will mix and match accordingly

as the very best do.

Back