• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs Swansea ratings thread

Those criticising Chadli, did you even watch the game?

6.png

Pulling the strings further back was Nacer Chadli, who created 6 chances (including 2 from corners), twice as many as any other player. However, statistically Spurs' man of the match could well be Etienne Capoue: he contributed an unmatched 7 tackles, an unbeaten 9 ball recoveries and an impressive 57 completed passes out of 63, surpassed only by Swansea's Jose Cañas.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/sunday-analysis-what-stats-zone-taught-us-today

Lloris 8
Walker 6
Dawson 7
Vertonghen 8
Rose 6
Paulinho 8
Capoue 9
Townsend 8
Dembele 7
Chadli 8
Soldado 8

Defoe 2
Sigurðsson 4
Sandro n/a

Lloris 8
Walker 6
Dawson 7
Vertonghen 8
Rose 6
Paulinho 7
Capoue 8
Townsend 8
Dembele 7
Chadli 8
Soldado 7

Lloris 7
Walker 6.5
Dawson 7
Vertonghen 7.5
Rose 6
Capoue 8
Dembele 6
Paulinho 7
Chadli 6
Townsend 7
Soldado 6.5

Siggy 6
Sandro N/A
Defoe N/A

On Chadli, I thought he played ok, just we need so much more from he and Townsend in this formation with regards to supporting Soldado.

Loris: 7.5 - Made good decisions. Stayed focused despite not being challenged for a couple long stretches.

Walker: 7 - Strong defensively for the most part, though was crossed up by Hernandez a couple times. Made some good runs down the wing and had a couple effective crosses.

Dawson: 7.5 - Had some key tackles and seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Too many off target passes for my taste, but the ideas were right.

Vertonghen: 7 - I didn't think he had a bad performance, he was just very quiet. Didn't seem to push up as often as we're used to seeing him.

Rose: 6.5 - Played with great pace, but looked out of position at times. Also struggled to deliver some easier balls.

Capoue: 8 - Real beast out there. Strong and athletic, always seemed in control.

Paulinho: 8.5 - Played with great poise and looked comfortable in an attacking midfield role. Any other week and he finishes at least one of those opportunities. Looked like the best player on the pitch.

Dembele: 6 - Disappeared at times. I think he would have been better suited coming off the bench in a more defensive role.

Townsend: 7.5 - I loved how aggressive he was. Constantly looked to attack his defender and force the action. Could have looked for his teammates more often.

Chadli: 6.5 - Not a ton of creativity, but he was very active. Not sure how I feel about him yet.

Soldado: 7.5 - Made some great runs around the box but no one could pick him out. Great penalty taker.

Sig: 6 - Had some opportunities that he didn't take advantage of. It looked like he was trying too hard not to make a mistake. Didn't look comfortable.

I was really impressed by the defense and control of the midfield unit today. They seemed to win all of their matchups and just looked stronger and more confident than their opponents. Echoing others, if we can find a talented left-winger and a creative midfielder our offense would really open up. I think Chadli and Dembele would be better suited coming off the bench.

Lloris - 7. Great save from Flores`instinctive volley at the near post, and looked calm and assured throughout.

Walker - 6. Decent defensive performance marred by sub-par crossing and cut-backs when in the box.
Dawson - 6.5. Assured, confident and never unduly troubled.
Verts - 6.5. See above.
Rose - 6.5. Enthusiastic performance, and looked more comfortable at the back than he did a couple of weeks ago, although some positioning faults were still evident.

Capoue - 7.5. Utterly commanding. Dealt with everything that Swansea mustered in midfield, and looks surprisingly agile for such a big lad. A great start from him so far.
Paulinho - 7.5. He didn`t do anything spectacular, but he excelled at the mundane: sweeping up, dispossessing Swansea`s midfielders, pressing voraciously and distributing the ball quickly and efficiently. A great show.

Townsend - 7. Full of direct running, although his dive marred his performance somewhat. Still, energetic, powerful on the ball, and actually cuts inside, which Lennon seemingly prefers not to do.
Dembele - 6.5. Was solid and composed, although it looks like he`s still missing that certain something that made him such a revelation in the first half of last season.
Chadli - 6.5. Efficient, tidy and made some good runs into the penalty area. He`ll get better as the lads learn to pick them out, of that I`m sure.

Soldado - 7. Starved of service, but tucked away his penalty with icy precision, and never stopped looking for spaces to drift into.

Subs:

Sigurdsson - 6. Not enough time to make an impact, so standard rating for him.
Defoe - 6. See above.
Sandro - 6. SAAAANDROOOO!

AVB - 7. Chose the right side, gave Townsend his chance and carried himself well in the post-match press conference. That cancer button on his lapel also nets him a small bonus.

Overall, good game. I never felt like we were being unduly threatened, save for those last fourteen-odd minutes when we visibly tired and Hernandez and Pozuelo started finding gaps. We created more chances than we did against Palace, and the ovation for Soldado put a smile on my face. Onwards and upwards.

Hey Jordinho don't let facts get in the way of your thinking, it's not the way with these people, you just pick a player and hate him, he never has a good game and should be dumped. Best start for a long time and the team are just settling, but that's not good enough. I can see why people think we are a joke.

Lloris 6
Walker 6
Dawson 6
Vertonghen 6
Rose 6
Paulinho 8 - MOTM
Capoue 8
Dembele 7
Townsend 7
Soldado 7
Chadli 7

As soon as i saw Chadli (during pre season) i knew opinions would be split..i just knew it (and mentioned it on here) He's the sort of player that in some peoples eyes offers so much but others will think he doesn't offer much at all. Some would like that he constantly comes inside and looks up, whilst others would prefer him to go on the outside more.

I said i think there will be games where some rate him as a 6 and another will give him a 9....and it's already nearly happened (well it kinda did as some have given him a 5 and others a 8). You know what the funny thing is? i actually see both points of view..weird.

Needs to impose himself more; he looks a bit under-strength in the challenge sometimes, I think. Also needs to contribute more in the final third.

As soon as i saw Chadli (during pre season) i knew opinions would be split..i just knew it (and mentioned it on here) He's the sort of player that in some peoples eyes offers so much but others will think he doesn't offer much at all. Some would like that he constantly comes inside and looks up, whilst others would prefer him to go on the outside more.

I said i think there will be games where some rate him as a 6 and another will give him a 9....and it's already nearly happened (well it kinda did as some have given him a 5 and others a 8). You know what the funny thing is? i actually see both points of view..weird.

Maybe... I really like him!

I was at the game and we did look solid.

LLoris 8 The difference

Walker 6 Shaky first half with some awful passing, but improved second half

Vertonghen 8 A class above

Dawson 7 Did well

Rose 8 Impressed, did very well going forward first half

Capoue 6 Not overly impressed, hes a beast we know that, but dodgy passing

Chadli 6 A bit too shy at times

Paulinho 8 Driving force at times, faded second half, tired. Expected a quicker player, looks very old fashioned

Dembele 7 Did the job well.

Townsend 8 Very very impressive. Too early to compare him to Gareth Bale but he is very very good.

Soldado 7 No problem with the pen. Looks quite slow though. Needs service.

Health warning - these ratings based only on Sky's extended highlights

Lloris 7 - couple of good stops
Walker 7 - continues to look solid at the back and decent going forward, Tested the GK with a blistering shot-come-cross
Dawson 7 - couple of dodgy moments but made up for it the way he flung himself in the way. Produced one surprisingly tasty defence-splitting pass to put Walker clear on goal
Verts 7 - quiet game but what a reach he has in the tackle
Rose 6 - solid at the back but going forward his crosses were disappointing
Capoue 7 - Like Verts, that reach of his is reassuringly gobsmacking
Dembele 6 - played his part
Paulinho 8 - could easily have had a hat-trick
Townsend 8 - if he keeps this up Lennon may struggle to get back in
Soldado 7 - shut out for much of the game but at last we have someone who can take a penalty
Chadli 6 - not too impressed with his dead-ball game

Boring game.

Only thing I can say is Rose is our new LB. Townsend could be better than Willian. Lloris is flipping great. That Paulinho is quite good.

Lloris - 7. Great save from Flores`instinctive volley at the near post, and looked calm and assured throughout.

Walker - 6. Decent defensive performance marred by sub-par crossing and cut-backs when in the box.
Dawson - 6.5. Assured, confident and never unduly troubled.
Verts - 6.5. See above.
Rose - 6.5. Enthusiastic performance, and looked more comfortable at the back than he did a couple of weeks ago, although some positioning faults were still evident.

Capoue - 7.5. Utterly commanding. Dealt with everything that Swansea mustered in midfield, and looks surprisingly agile for such a big lad. A great start from him so far.
Paulinho - 7.5. He didn`t do anything spectacular, but he excelled at the mundane: sweeping up, dispossessing Swansea`s midfielders, pressing voraciously and distributing the ball quickly and efficiently. A great show.

Townsend - 7. Full of direct running, although his dive marred his performance somewhat. Still, energetic, powerful on the ball, and actually cuts inside, which Lennon seemingly prefers not to do.
Dembele - 6.5. Was solid and composed, although it looks like he`s still missing that certain something that made him such a revelation in the first half of last season.
Chadli - 6.5. Efficient, tidy and made some good runs into the penalty area. He`ll get better as the lads learn to pick them out, of that I`m sure.

Soldado - 7. Starved of service, but tucked away his penalty with icy precision, and never stopped looking for spaces to drift into.

Subs:

Sigurdsson - 6. Not enough time to make an impact, so standard rating for him.
Defoe - 6. See above.
Sandro - 6. SAAAANDROOOO!

AVB - 7. Chose the right side, gave Townsend his chance and carried himself well in the post-match press conference. That cancer button on his lapel also nets him a small bonus.

Overall, good game. I never felt like we were being unduly threatened, save for those last fourteen-odd minutes when we visibly tired and Hernandez and Pozuelo started finding gaps. We created more chances than we did against Palace, and the ovation for Soldado put a smile on my face. Onwards and upwards.

Oh oh, here we go. He may have exaggerated his fall but it absolutely WASN'T a dive. Look closely at the replays, his foot clearly catches the back of Shelvey's calf causing him to lose balance mid-stride, hence the fall.

Chaldi just did not look like creating anything, Looked like a DM more than a winger, might just be today, but looks in the Sandro, Capoue mould.

Soldado has dare I say it, been disappointing , he has had no service, but has not done much with the ball and not found a way into the games.
Very early days, it may take a while.

Oh oh, here we go. He may have exaggerated his fall but it absolutely WASN'T a dive. Look closely at the replays, his foot clearly catches the back of Shelvey's calf causing him to lose balance mid-stride, hence the fall.

:lol: In my book, that`s diving. Still, it wasn`t really a major issue for me (I only deducted 0.25 because of it), so no harm done.

Lloris 8 - not just that super block, but also snuffed out a few long shots that came through the crowd. very assured performance

Walker 7 - for his drive and using his speed well. and passion and using his body well to physically challenge. was outnumbered in the second half though.

Dawson 5 -one or two adventurous through ball, but too many misplaced passes for my comfort, including that failed backheel leaving him caught in midfield. needs to play it cool when he runs out of options.

Vertonghen 6 - subdued but more reassuring than his captain partner. some very good tackles and seemed to win a number of 50-50s as well.

Rose 6 - very passionate performance in attack and defence; forming a good partnership with Chadli

Paulinho 8 - would have been MOTM for me if he had put one in! really like a lampard and just needs to ease off a bit on the strike and go for accuracy as well

Capoue 8 - understated elegance. he is so easy on the eye and so so hardworking, no just the tackles or the passes, but the supporting movement as well, seems eveready to help. I think everyone would love to play with him

Dembele 7 - held on to the ball well for long periods of time; we seemed to lose that when he was subbed by siggy. started up front almost like a #10 but dropped back deeper as the game went on.

Townsend 8 - MOTM
very good inspiring performance from our home grown spur. "fearless" as AVB puts it, a quality that Lennon lacks. hungrier than lennon too. Living the "to dare is to do" dream. Won us the game. Looks good in continuing his form; prefer this more direct approach than lennons terrorize the defence but no end product game.

Soldado 7 - super cool penatly kick, otherwise very hardworking performance pressing and taking one for the team to stop a swansea player on a mazy run

Chadli 7 - very strong performance holding up the ball, neat array of tricks and capable to go every which way. fantastic signing for the price. early days but I think he pays the price for being a big winger, and may not last the full 90 minutes unless he brings more of Rose into play.

edit:
subs - not much time to see siggy or defoe but the gulf in class is blindingly obvious already.
overall - only the third game and so much better than the first! players understanding improving by leaps and bounds, and best of all no injuries. looking good going into our very important next game.

Last edited:
Lloris 8 - not just that super block, but also snuffed out a few long shots that came through the crowd. very assured performance

Walker 7 - for his drive and using his speed well. and passion and using his body well to physically challenge. was outnumbered in the second half though.

Dawson 5 -one or two adventurous through ball, but too many misplaced passes for my comfort, including that failed backheel leaving him caught in midfield. needs to play it cool when he runs out of options.

Vertonghen 6 - subdued but more reassuring than his captain partner. some very good tackles and seemed to win a number of 50-50s as well.

Rose 6 - very passionate performance in attack and defence; forming a good partnership with Chadli

Paulinho 8 - would have been MOTM for me if he had put one in! really like a lampard and just needs to ease off a bit on the strike and go for accuracy as well

Capoue 8 - understated elegance. he is so easy on the eye and so so hardworking, no just the tackles or the passes, but the supporting movement as well, seems eveready to help. I think everyone would love to play with him

Dembele 7 - held on to the ball well for long periods of time; we seemed to lose that when he was subbed by siggy. started up front almost like a #10 but dropped back deeper as the game went on.

Townsend 8 - MOTM
very good inspiring performance from our home grown spur. "fearless" as AVB puts it, a quality that Lennon lacks. hungrier than lennon too. Living the "to dare is to do" dream. Won us the game. Looks good in continuing his form; prefer this more direct approach than lennons terrorize the defence but no end product game.

Soldado 7 - super cool penatly kick, otherwise very hardworking performance pressing and taking one for the team to stop a swansea player on a mazy run

Chadli 7 - very strong performance holding up the ball, neat array of tricks and capable to go every which way. fantastic signing for the price. early days but I think he pays the price for being a big winger, and may not last the full 90 minutes unless he brings more of Rose into play.

edit:
subs - not much time to see siggy or defoe but the gulf in class is blindingly obvious already.
overall - only the third game and so much better than the first! players understanding improving by leaps and bounds, and best of all no injuries. looking good going into our very important next game.

Agree with these scores and largely the comments, except Dawson should be a 6 as his distribution was not that bad.

One item of concern. In both our PL games the midfield seemed to run out of steam after about 70 mins and allowed the opponents into the game. I know our midfield plays with a high intensity and are liable to tire, but if this carries on, it will be worrying - especially for the NLD. I hope it is just an early season fitness thing.

Last edited:

Townsend 8 - MOTM

edit:

Didn't rate Andros' performance then mate? :D

Back