• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs pre-season Perth, Australia

Are you willing to make the same excuses for Sanchez? Please consider that Sanchez has actually had an impressive season playing CB for us. Albeit paired with Jan/Toby but, still a set of more impressive performances that Dier has ever delivered at CB.

If you're not willing to give Sanchez the benefit of the doubt, you shouldn't be giving Dier any either.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

To be honest I am willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt with a new manager in. We talk about rebuilding the squad and buying new players, but if Ange can get a tune out of Lo Celso, Ndombele, Reguilón etc etc it will be a big win. Peresic even looks like he is benefiting from the new system.

If we think about basic management principles, not just of football here, but even comparing it to places of work, people perform differently under different managers/bosses. Ange has clearly taken this massive squad out on tour to give everyone a chance. Look at Lo Celso, everyone had written him off and now he is thriving because we are playing in the right system.

Yeah agree that Sanchez has looked pretty decent as a replacement for Romero in the Conte season last year and played well with Toby and Jan. Dier was pretty decent at CB for the first half of last season. That Romero interview stated that everyone hated playing in that system lat season and with that management team. It was shame that Sanchez caught so much flak for the failing of that team.

Dier and Sanchez are different kettles of fish though in my opinion at this present time - Dier really really wants to stay and fight for his place, which I think is pretty cool and we should give him a chance to do so.
Sanchez, from all the transfer rumours, seems to feel like a new start will be better for him personally.

I also said that we give Dier too much of a hard time, he has had some pretty ropey games last year for sure - but did you see the reaction to his documentary? Not nice if you ask me.

In the first half, Lion City Sailors had 10 men on the edge of their box.
Sometimes we made an incisive pass and move and a man was free out wide, to cut it back or cross.
Quite often they made the wrong decision, but sometimes it clicked.
Agree with others that Kulu keeps cutting back into massive traffic, if he is going to do that, he must have someone overlapping to keep the width, or we just end up in a big traffic jam.

Always good to see us have a boatload of chances and to win handsomely. Very hard to tell how good the opposition was; probably not very good at all. But when they sit with 10 men in defence, it is quite hard to penetrate.

To be honest I am willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt with a new manager in. We talk about rebuilding the squad and buying new players, but if Ange can get a tune out of Lo Celso, Ndombele, Reguilón etc etc it will be a big win. Peresic even looks like he is benefiting from the new system.

If we think about basic management principles, not just of football here, but even comparing it to places of work, people perform differently under different managers/bosses. Ange has clearly taken this massive squad out on tour to give everyone a chance. Look at Lo Celso, everyone had written him off and now he is thriving because we are playing in the right system.

Yeah agree that Sanchez has looked pretty decent as a replacement for Romero in the Conte season last year and played well with Toby and Jan. Dier was pretty decent at CB for the first half of last season. That Romero interview stated that everyone hated playing in that system lat season and with that management team. It was shame that Sanchez caught so much flak for the failing of that team.

Dier and Sanchez are different kettles of fish though in my opinion at this present time - Dier really really wants to stay and fight for his place, which I think is pretty cool and we should give him a chance to do so.
Sanchez, from all the transfer rumours, seems to feel like a new start will be better for him personally.

I also said that we give Dier too much of a hard time, he has had some pretty ropey games last year for sure - but did you see the reaction to his documentary? Not nice if you ask me.

I’d fight for my place and not want to leave Spurs if given the chance but doesn’t mean I’d be good enough. There’s a big enough body of work to judge the likes of Dier (and Sanchez) by now. It’s not just that he’s not good enough but he’s also a hangover from an era we need to rid ourselves of, similar with Davies.

I’d fight for my place and not want to leave Spurs if given the chance but doesn’t mean I’d be good enough. There’s a big enough body of work to judge the likes of Dier (and Sanchez) by now. It’s not just that he’s not good enough but he’s also a hangover from an era we need to rid ourselves of, similar with Davies.

what i am saying is that we should also give the players a chance in the new system - see how they adapt.

Both Davies and Sanchez have made mistakes in this new system which have led to goals - Dier seems to be doing ok? Though we haven't been truley tested...

So far the following players haven't been involved in the friendlies: Spence, Rodon, Ndombele and Gil - have they all had injuries? (Just wondering how much to read into it in terms of their respective futures at the club).

So far the following players haven't been involved in the friendlies: Spence, Rodon, Ndombele and Gil - have they all had injuries? (Just wondering how much to read into it in terms of their respective futures at the club).

Ndombele and Gil are injured
Spence and Rodon - not picked for any games

what i am saying is that we should also give the players a chance in the new system - see how they adapt.

Both Davies and Sanchez have made mistakes in this new system which have led to goals - Dier seems to be doing ok? Though we haven't been truley tested...

Some players deserve a chance under the new manager and not others. The likes of Lo Celso you can make a case for, although I’d be fine with it if we sold him. I don’t think Dier has done anywhere near enough to warrant even more chances then he has already been given. I also don’t think you can take much from pre-season. They are essential for fitness and for learning the system of a new manager but in the grand scheme of things they are pretty meaningless. If Dier wants to stay and fight for his place then so be it. But he shouldn’t be starting games any more and we should not offer him a new contract, unless he somehow improves exponentially.

Some players deserve a chance under the new manager and not others. The likes of Lo Celso you can make a case for, although I’d be fine with it if we sold him. I don’t think Dier has done anywhere near enough to warrant even more chances then he has already been given. I also don’t think you can take much from pre-season. They are essential for fitness and for learning the system of a new manager but in the grand scheme of things they are pretty meaningless. If Dier wants to stay and fight for his place then so be it. But he shouldn’t be starting games any more and we should not offer him a new contract, unless he somehow improves exponentially.

I think the scars with Dier are too deep for him, everyone needs a fresh start if nothing else for peoples sanity.

Back in the 90s, we often had excellent pre-season results. You had zero match coverage outside England at the time, so I remember entering pretty much each and every season with high hopes. And then competitive games began and it was back to 'there's always next season'.

we should not offer him a new contract, unless he somehow improves exponentially.

I certainly agree with this. Problem with trying to sell him is that any club who will want him are likely to be clubs which he won't want to move to and/or they wont be able to afford his wages

So signing a new deal means we're lumbered with a (soon to be) ageing, non-HG CB who has fallen short of the standard required and who isn't likely to play much

So we play a West Ham B team and a brick Singapore team whilst our rivals play Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern and each other. I don’t think our pre season prep has been great.

Back