• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs on International Duty

Interesting to watch Gylfi tonight. He played as a centra midfielder in a 4-4-1-1 and I think quite frankly it was one of the best games I've ever seen him play. He was always looking to get the ball and make a pass forward, constantly receiving the ball under pressure in the middle of the pitch and making good use of it and supported our attacks well by lurking outside and around the penalty box. He was relentless in pressing and turned in a surprisingly good defensive shift.

Could it be that he's actually better suited as a CM rather then as a no. 10 or an inside forward of sorts?

i think thats possible

great performance from Lloris 8-[

i think he always has the potential of a mistake in him. He has some amazing qualities but seems to lack concentration imo

There weren't any major mistakes from him, to be honest. You can argue that he could have been first to the ball at the turks 1-0 goal, but he was caught somewhere in the middle trying to chase down his man and the cross and was shoved a bit by the turk striker who scored...

I won't start a debate now, but generally appearances for Romania don't paint a good picture for any player. Unfortunately, the communist regime has left a visible mark on football as well. The point I'm trying to make is that the coaches and staff of our national team (who have deep roots in that regime) are not taking advantage of what we have to offer in terms of talent and that was obvious tonight..
So, no..I won't judge Vlad on his performance tonight, the entire team did not play even close to their normal potential.. :) but today was evidence that he needs to keep working on his heading.

his aerial ability is average, and most Romanian football watchers seem to think this

He needs to develop a mean streak, become tougher when playing against opposing forwards.....he seems like a nice guy and it shows on the pitch.

Interesting to watch Gylfi tonight. He played as a centra midfielder in a 4-4-1-1 and I think quite frankly it was one of the best games I've ever seen him play. He was always looking to get the ball and make a pass forward, constantly receiving the ball under pressure in the middle of the pitch and making good use of it and supported our attacks well by lurking outside and around the penalty box. He was relentless in pressing and turned in a surprisingly good defensive shift.

Could it be that he's actually better suited as a CM rather then as a no. 10 or an inside forward of sorts?

this.

He was in full Modric mode last night!

It seems to me that Gylfi work's best in a big fish small pond environment where he seems to relish the challenge, whilst at Spurs he is surrounded by quality and whether it's belief or confidence he struggles to be just another option. The guys got it in his locker it's up to the coaching staff to find a way to unlock it.

It seems to me that Gylfi work's best in a big fish small pond environment where he seems to relish the challenge, whilst at Spurs he is surrounded by quality and whether it's belief or confidence he struggles to be just another option. The guys got it in his locker it's up to the coaching staff to find a way to unlock it.

This.

^
Yep. Poor Lloris having a Weston tonight.

llorisblund2kfss2.gif

was there a deflection? either that of the ball had some wicked spin to it.

thats our box to box midfielder.

his aerial ability is average, and most Romanian football watchers seem to think this

He needs to develop a mean streak, become tougher when playing against opposing forwards.....he seems like a nice guy and it shows on the pitch.

Agreed, he needs to improve on that and he will.. he's already come a long way since last year and I am confident he will due to his positive and hard-working attitude.
He is a nice guy, but that doesn't necessarily make him soft..he is very competitive.

Extract taken from an interview with Vlad last night after the match:
"I think most of us, me first, were unable to physically bounce back from the exhausting game vs. Hungary and it showed. I am very disappointed with my performance, not happy at all with what happened tonight and I am very sad that we didn't get a good result."

By the way, despite yesterday's win, Denmark has now only theoretical chances to qualify for WC14.

They need 3 things to happen:
1. only to win at home against Italy
2. to outrun Bulgaria on points (considering wins - mentioned vs Italy and Malta at home by default - they need Bulgaria not to win at least 1 game: against Armenia away or Chezh Republic at home)
3. to hope that some national teams from other groups, which pretend on 2nd place and play-off matches, will lose points against non-bottom teams in their remaining games (presumably Hungary, Slovenia, Iceland)

Not likely to happen to be fair.
Poor Christian is going to miss WC14.

Gylfi and Holtby are so frustrating, they are always really good when they aren't playing for us and then ok to awful when they put a spurs shirt on. I think Gylfi (and Lewis) could both do well in a deeper role, but I think Holtby has the pace required to be a really top class central midfielder. I really think he could become a top quality Modric-like player. Gylfi probably lacks that pace but that's not to say that he couldn't be a very good central midfielder either. Just frustrating that neither has really shined here yet, while they have elsewhere.

For the love of GHod, Gylfi's supposed world class performance in CM was against

ALBANIA

Calm down?

Gylfi and Holtby are so frustrating, they are always really good when they aren't playing for us and then ok to awful when they put a spurs shirt on. I think Gylfi (and Lewis) could both do well in a deeper role, but I think Holtby has the pace required to be a really top class central midfielder. I really think he could become a top quality Modric-like player. Gylfi probably lacks that pace but that's not to say that he couldn't be a very good central midfielder either. Just frustrating that neither has really shined here yet, while they have elsewhere.

That is harsh on both especially Holtby, he has hardly had a chance yet. Most of his appearances last season were second half subs and to call either awful is ott

For the love of GHod, Gylfi's supposed world class performance in CM was against

ALBANIA

Calm down?

Rocking a steady 85 bpm mate, thanks for the concern though.

Nobody ever said world class. Jóhann Guðmundsson scored a hat-trick against a very good and solid Switzerland team. Does that put him level with Messi? Of course not.

What we said was that Gylfi was playing in a new position, as a central midfielder and looked really good. Not because the opposition was poor, but because of HIS actions. How he came deep to pick up the ball, constantly looked to pass it forwards to start attacks, took up excellent positions and did a very good job defensively.

Would it look the same against a team like Germany? Of course not. But you also have to remember that Albania were playing against

ICELAND

We aren't very good. Or at least haven't been in the past, although things are looking better these days. We still lost away to Cyprus. Yes, Cyprus. The discussion was about how Gylfi performed individually in his new role and whether it would be beneficial to try him there again in the future. I think so and hopefully AVB will try it out as well.

Rocking a steady 85 bpm mate, thanks for the concern though.

Nobody ever said world class. Jóhann Guðmundsson scored a hat-trick against a very good and solid Switzerland team. Does that put him level with Messi? Of course not.

What we said was that Gylfi was playing in a new position, as a central midfielder and looked really good. Not because the opposition was poor, but because of HIS actions. How he came deep to pick up the ball, constantly looked to pass it forwards to start attacks, took up excellent positions and did a very good job defensively.

Would it look the same against a team like Germany? Of course not. But you also have to remember that Albania were playing against

ICELAND

We aren't very good. Or at least haven't been in the past, although things are looking better these days. We still lost away to Cyprus. Yes, Cyprus. The discussion was about how Gylfi performed individually in his new role and whether it would be beneficial to try him there again in the future. I think so and hopefully AVB will try it out as well.

I'm from Wales, I know all about losing to teams like Cyrpus haha.

My problem with Sigurdsson is just that, nothing he tries in a Spurs shirt comes off. There's only so many times hitting the post can be unlucky, only so many times I can stomach him losing possession in the final third. And at CM, we hate 5, maybe even 6 players who actually play there who deserve a shot ahead of a failed ACM/ALM.

I'm from Wales, I know all about losing to teams like Cyrpus haha.

My problem with Sigurdsson is just that, nothing he tries in a Spurs shirt comes off. There's only so many times hitting the post can be unlucky, only so many times I can stomach him losing possession in the final third. And at CM, we hate 5, maybe even 6 players who actually play there who deserve a shot ahead of a failed ACM/ALM.

That's a little harsh, they are not all that bad..

Walker, Townsend and Defoe called up for England

ENGLAND SQUAD

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster, Joe Hart, John Ruddy.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Phil Jagielka, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker

Midfielders: Ross Barkley, Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Andros Townsend, Jack Wheelchair.

Strikers: Jermain Defoe, Rickie Lambert, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Welbeck.

Back