• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs at the World Cup

He's a good player when he's had a rest and is motivated

I personally think the criticism of Paulinho by Spurs fans has been totally out of proportion. But we all see different things when we watch a game, so it's hardly worth arguing about. Shame to see that Sandro hasn't been included in the squad. I rate him as well.

Paulinho in but no Coutinho..... does the rest of the world know something about Paulinho that we don't?!!

Different player types. Brazil have a few Coutinho types already, Paulinho gives them a different option.

Also it seems that Scolari has been moving towards a fairly settled international side. There are so many good Brazilian players that if he's going to select the in form or emerging players all the time he will have a dozen new faces in every squad. Instead he's moved towards a slightly more settled squad, giving those players a chance to build relations and perform over time. Much of that squad is the same players as what he brought to the confederations cup a year ago.

And, Paulinho is a good footballer.

I am glad the Beast is not going, gives him a break and a pre season, to make sure he is over his injury properly.

I personally think the criticism of Paulinho by Spurs fans has been totally out of proportion. But we all see different things when we watch a game, so it's hardly worth arguing about. Shame to see that Sandro hasn't been included in the squad. I rate him as well.

I think the criticism is justified based on his performances however a lot of jonny-foreigners underperform in their first year in the PL. Lets see how he does next year with (hopefully) a decent manager in charge. I certainly dont think we should be selling him this summer

Walker must be gutted he was having a terrific season both for us and nailing down RB spot for England, he is the one player I feel sorry for the most out of our lot

He's a good player when he's had a rest and is motivated

When he's had a rest? so the excuse that he played for Corinthians just before joining will be used for his ****e form for a whole season?

not motivated for AVB, not motivated for Sherwood, not motivated to challenge for a ball, not motivated to make accurate passes, not motivated to work hard. What and when will he suddenly become motivated?

Paulinho is a fantastic player.. Admittedly under AVB his inability to take fewer than 4 touches and his sometimes-wayward passing frustrated me, but these were symptoms of the manager's style and a lack of adjustment to English football. He is really settling in now and will be one of our key players from next season until he leaves the club.

Against Stoke, his final game before the multiple-month injury layoff afflicted by the cvnt Charlie Adam, he looked like one of the best CMs around. He ran the game, had some excellent flare touches and was generally reminiscent of the sort of powerful, technical midfielder that is so important in modern football (See Yaya, Fernandinho, Matic, Vidal). Since coming back he has taken a bit of time to settle but against Fulham he looked back to his best and again ran the show alongside Eriksen.

I have been pretty absent from this board recently, so it comes as a surprise that Paulinho is apparently sh!t. He and Eriksen are the only two certainties in midfield for me next year, provided they remain Spurs players. I think the world (Spurs fans especially) will be reminded of Paulinho's quality at the World Cup.

I'd keep Paulinho unless we get a good bid for him, that said I've seen nothing to suggest he's a fantastic player - in a Spurs shirt or a Brazil one. He's basically a peripheral midfielder who you can't play in a two because he doesn't cut it defensively so you have to have him in place of an attacker. Tim Cahill, Kevin Nolan, Paulinho. All one of the same.

I'd keep Paulinho unless we get a good bid for him, that said I've seen nothing to suggest he's a fantastic player - in a Spurs shirt or a Brazil one. He's basically a peripheral midfielder who you can't play in a two because he doesn't cut it defensively so you have to have him in place of an attacker. Tim Cahill, Kevin Nolan, Paulinho. All one of the same.

That is a quite outrageous claim and you know it.

The first 2 have almost no utility aside from their threat attacking the box, Paulinho is technically capable enough to retain possession, has an engine too, meaning he can burst forward with the ball, AND he is a goalscoring late entrant to the box.

He is the type of player **** have been crying out for. He would improve Liverpool massively (compare Henderson). Out of our close rivals (****, Liver, ManU, Ever), only Everton could do without him, because they are developing their own (worse quality) Paulinho in Ross Barkley.

We'll see next season...

I think you may underestimate Barkley.

Paulinho has shown flashes of excellence and flashes of worthlessness.

It is likely the upheaval this season played a part as well as coming in from Brazilian season. But his attitude hasn't been great either.
He is not alone in that, but I'm still not sure how he fits in to a side that isn't Brazil (that has such good ball retention and skill throughout the side, meaning a Fred or a paulinho can just be OK all round and use their goalscoring to contribute)

Disappointed that Lucas Moura isn't going. He's one of my favourite footballers to watch, something so grateful about him.

I think you may underestimate Barkley.

Paulinho has shown flashes of excellence and flashes of worthlessness.

It is likely the upheaval this season played a part as well as coming in from Brazilian season. But his attitude hasn't been great either.
He is not alone in that, but I'm still not sure how he fits in to a side that isn't Brazil (that has such good ball retention and skill throughout the side, meaning a Fred or a paulinho can just be OK all round and use their goalscoring to contribute)

Maybe, I am not exactly an expert on Everton, but from what I've seen of him, his best attribute is his ability to drive with the ball. Sure he is decent technically, but he isn't particularly creative or capable of providing a cutting edge pass. Paulinho is a bit more technicaly, a bit more unpredictable.

Not denying he has shown 'flashes of worthlessness', but I think he'll show a lot more 'flashes of excellence' next season now he has bedded in a bit.

Spurs players not going to WC

Just trying to see how much of our squad is not going to world cup (and therefore gets a better rest)

- None of our English players, so -> Dawson, Rose, Naughton, Walker, Lennon, Kane (who else am I missing?)
- Vlad, Kaboul, Lamela, Siggy, Sandro, Eriksen, Soldado, Ade

Might work out well for us ..

Re: Spurs players not going to WC

Guys, the bad news is you're not going to the World Cup.

But the good news is you're playing in the Europa League from July!

Paulinho is a fantastic player.. Admittedly under AVB his inability to take fewer than 4 touches and his sometimes-wayward passing frustrated me, but these were symptoms of the manager's style and a lack of adjustment to English football. He is really settling in now and will be one of our key players from next season until he leaves the club.

Against Stoke, his final game before the multiple-month injury layoff afflicted by the cvnt Charlie Adam, he looked like one of the best CMs around. He ran the game, had some excellent flare touches and was generally reminiscent of the sort of powerful, technical midfielder that is so important in modern football (See Yaya, Fernandinho, Matic, Vidal). Since coming back he has taken a bit of time to settle but against Fulham he looked back to his best and again ran the show alongside Eriksen.

I have been pretty absent from this board recently, so it comes as a surprise that Paulinho is apparently sh!t. He and Eriksen are the only two certainties in midfield for me next year, provided they remain Spurs players. I think the world (Spurs fans especially) will be reminded of Paulinho's quality at the World Cup.

This.Someone that actually understands.

Re: Spurs players not going to WC

can not believe Naughton and Rose are not going to the world cup with England :-k

Does that mean that Brazil supply there own ball boys :tumbleweed:

Back