• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**** Sporting Clube de Portugal v Tottenham Hotspur FC ****

If there isn’t a threat on one flank it allows the opposition to move over and stay compact down the middle and other flank. So much easier to defend the left flank when the right is benign.

You can see why Conte persists with Royal. He’s normally an excellent defender. We haven’t lost since April !!!! And he has potential going forward, but let’s be honest he’ll never be a great attacker. Kulu or Moura as RWB would leave us more exposed defensively but provide more balance in attack.

I’m more miffed at Conte for not using the squad to refresh our midfield. Didn’t think Bentancur was on form and Hojgjerg was done by 80mins.

There is an issue with attacking balance, but more often than not we get a goal, then remain solid defensively.
Right, I don't blame Royal for being a square peg in a round hole. He was bought to fill in a square hole, but Conte insists on trying to mash him in there. Speaking of Royal, this is where his name comes from. If he were more gelatinous, he could be any shape peg he wants to be.
E24FEQ4XEAIL8y1.jpg

Sometimes our quick passing works really well, but then games like last night, I feel like that's what lets fans down the most: sloppiness in possession, giving the ball away needlessly, general profligacy. PEH and Royal's crossing was well below-par. Of course, the flipside of that coin is being overly cautious and slapping the ball around the back three until the opposition press us into bricking the bed.

So many problems last night therefore it's a bit unfair to blame it all on the midfielders. Romero hasn't been playing the same after his latest injury, feel like he's been playing a lot of catch-up with opposition forwards, but I get that the wide CBs push up, we lose the ball for no reason and all of a sudden, our defenders need to defend again after pushing up.

I thought we actually played reasonably well last night in a difficult European away game.

The game had nil nil written all over it really and any neutral watching would probably have said that if any team was going to nick a one nil win it would've been us.

Going away from home in the CL, restricting the opposition to very few good chances and creating several reasonable chances of your own is typically a decent performance.

Had they not delivered the perfect corner (and it is incredibly hard to deliver that sort of corner) in the last minute we would've been walking away with a very good point.

On this occasion I'm not going to let the result cloud a decent enough performance. We're not going to go away to these teams and dominate them from start to finish, if we try to do so we are also very likely to get picked off on the counter attack.

Speaking to the non Spurs fans at work today they all felt that we were unlucky and were the team that deserved to win if any did.

Sometimes our quick passing works really well, but then games like last night, I feel like that's what lets fans down the most: sloppiness in possession, giving the ball away needlessly, general profligacy. PEH and Royal's crossing was well below-par. Of course, the flipside of that coin is being overly cautious and slapping the ball around the back three until the opposition press us into bricking the bed.

So many problems last night therefore it's a bit unfair to blame it all on the midfielders. Romero hasn't been playing the same after his latest injury, feel like he's been playing a lot of catch-up with opposition forwards, but I get that the wide CBs push up, we lose the ball for no reason and all of a sudden, our defenders need to defend again after pushing up.

I agree the backline is not contributing enough when in possession, which affects the midfield. We do need the CBs to play like midfielders when in possession. For the most part they play like CBs in a 2. And it doesn't feel like a unit working with the CMs yet. Need some give and gos from the CBs, Romero to get his form back, and for me, to play Lenglet. I'd also have Royal covering Romero as a CB. He could excel there.

But I get it. We are hard to beat. That covers up some of these other deficiencies and got us into the CL.

I thought we actually played reasonably well last night in a difficult European away game.

The game had nil nil written all over it really and any neutral watching would probably have said that if any team was going to nick a one nil win it would've been us.

Going away from home in the CL, restricting the opposition to very few good chances and creating several reasonable chances of your own is typically a decent performance.

Had they not delivered the perfect corner (and it is incredibly hard to deliver that sort of corner) in the last minute we would've been walking away with a very good point.

On this occasion I'm not going to let the result cloud a decent enough performance. We're not going to go away to these teams and dominate them from start to finish, if we try to do so we are also very likely to get picked off on the counter attack.

Speaking to the non Spurs fans at work today they all felt that we were unlucky and were the team that deserved to win if any did.

That is my thoughts as well, its a shame to see so many keeejerking about a game that we did not look like losing.

Royal on the right is like the days when we played Kaboul on the right, a square peg doing a job.

Although this did happen once upon a time

If you rewind that video and watch the whole thing, we had about 6 good chances to score, City were lucky.

Royal on the right is like the days when we played Kaboul on the right, a square peg doing a job.

Although this did happen once upon a time

If you rewind that video and watch the whole thing, we had about 6 good chances to score, City were lucky.
98f87c5e5c0fe010e5186012e28851cf.gif

I think that we will get there eventually, just need 30-40 more consecutive starts.

Potter playing Sterling as a WB, and of course he scores. James on the other flank offering pace and dribbling ability.

Conte has long wanted a pacy attacking RWB. But you can’t argue with our form from last April. You can also see how much effort Royal puts in. Doherty isn’t as athletic. But hopefully time to be more brave with RWB and find a more attacking balance.

Last edited:
Potter playing Sterling as a WB, and of course he scores. James on the other flank offering pace and dribbling ability.

Conte has long wanted a pacy attacking RWB. But you can’t argue with our form from last year. You can also see how much effort Royal puts in. Doherty isn’t as athletic. But hopefully time to be more brave with RWB and find a more attacking balance.
You don’t need to be athletic
You need to be competent at all the basics

We could do with a direct, tricky player like Edwards.
We have a player like that called Son
We also have another tricky player call Kulu
We also have Moura who is a similar style
What we need is someone to pay £49m for him (his release clause) and we get half

That is my thoughts as well, its a shame to see so many keeejerking about a game that we did not look like losing.
But that is the problem with Spurs and has been for years, we don't look like losing but manage to do so.
Defend the corner properly with a man in front of their two and we come away with a decent draw. Instead of that Hojbjerg walks away as the corner is taken and we have two players behind their two who get beaten to the ball.
Kneejerk reactions maybe but the performances so far this season are concerning, we're too flakey.

We have a player like that called Son
We also have another tricky player call Kulu
We also have Moura who is a similar style
What we need is someone to pay £49m for him (his release clause) and we get half
Would rather get Maduke back instead if we're on the topic of ex-academy players.

But that is the problem with Spurs and has been for years, we don't look like losing but manage to do so.
Defend the corner properly with a man in front of their two and we come away with a decent draw. Instead of that Hojbjerg walks away as the corner is taken and we have two players behind their two who get beaten to the ball.
Kneejerk reactions maybe but the performances so far this season are concerning, we're too flakey.

Work in progress, and i would say one defeat in 17 is a good sign of it heading in the right direction. But of course fans will be fans and love to bitch. Because lets be honest fans always believe they can do a better job. :D

You don’t need to be athletic
You need to be competent at all the basics

I’m not sure Doherty and Spence are as competent defensively.

I think we should be careful what we wish for, zipping in a higher number of “better” balls neither Kane or Son bother to attack at the cost of being less solid defensively.

I’m not sure Doherty and Spence are as competent defensively.

I think we should be careful what we wish for, zipping in a higher number of “better” balls neither Kane or Son bother to attack at the cost of being less solid defensively.
Their both fine and also defend from the front much much better
You wont see them pass backwards when a forward pass is on

Back