• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**** Sporting Clube de Portugal v Tottenham Hotspur FC ****

Sounds like us all season.
Some said it was the points that mattered, be happy.
But it was coming all along.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk
They scored off a corner kick and a piece of individual brilliance from Arthur. And their other big chance also cam from a piece of individual brilliance by Edwards. Other than that, they did nothing. Which is where our strength is: not allowing teams to create any decent chances. People seem to forget that and focus only on the fact we don't play razzle dazzle offensive football. Fair enough, but we create more quality chances than our opponents and limit them to peanuts, for the most part. Which is how you win games. You're not going to win all of them and there will be the occasional one, like tonight, where the other team gets the rub of the green. It's a long season and, if we continue to do what we are doing, we will end up much higher than last year. It's not pleasing on the eyes, but it is effective. This was a one-off.

They scored off a corner kick and a piece of individual brilliance from Arthur. And their other big chance also cam from a piece of individual brilliance by Edwards. Other than that, they did nothing. Which is where our strength is: not allowing teams to create any decent chances. People seem to forget that and focus only on the fact we don't play razzle dazzle offensive football. Fair enough, but we create more quality chances than our opponents and limit them to peanuts, for the most part. Which is how you win games. You're not going to win all of them and there will be the occasional one, like tonight, where the other team gets the rub of the green. It's a long season and, if we continue to do what we are doing, we will end up much higher than last year. It's not pleasing on the eyes, but it is effective. This was a one-off.
What a very sensible post !!!

Disappointing result, not a terrible performance, but not quite good enough.

I'm surprised that Kulusevski was left out again, I think we really miss him when he's not playing. The continued use of only Emerson as our RWB likewise surprises me a bit along with the lack of substitutions.

Need to bounce back quickly and not turn this into a poor streak.

Thought the loss was on Conte. Didn’t make subs when we visibly tired. We were good for a draw with fresh legs.

Seeing Edwards it hinted at what we often miss: a disruptive influence in the final third. Would love to see a fast player exploit the space on our right flank. Teams would be far more stretched defending against a Traore than with Royal. Not that he plays badly, he just doesn’t explode into space, cross or finish well lol.

I thought Bentancur stunk. Why Conte didn’t switch him, and Hojgjerg at the end who was shagged, idk. Skipp and Bissouma on around 60mins, I think we win that.

The other reason we didn’t win at a canter, for me, was how we tried to force passes that weren’t there. 9 times out of 10 when we tried quick forward passes our play broke down. We need a plan B in that situation. Either the player passing wasn’t set and able to really make the pass. Or the runner was well marshalled. Credit to them. Happy for a small side to pull that off and great see Edwards. We should still top the group, but need to improve and be more dynamic. It’s too predictable that we’ll try to play fast forward passes. Teams work to stop the pass and track the runner. We needed one more pass often before going for the through ball. A bit more patience coordinating the run/movement until the pass was on.
Edwards played CF didn’t he?
Your love of Traore is odd IMO. He still isn’t getting starts at wolves. We have signed soence who has a lot of the attributes you talk about but Conte is being conte with him (not my signing).

Edwards played CF didn’t he?
Your love of Traore is odd IMO. He still isn’t getting starts at wolves. We have signed soence who has a lot of the attributes you talk about but Conte is being conte with him (not my signing).

Edwards seemed to come in off the right. Which we missed without Kulu too. Makes it easy to defend against us, as no one needs to worry much about the space in behind on the right. Teams cover off Son knowing our right flank is relatively benign. I don't mind who is playing there so long as they can exploit space. When Royal gets the ball 1-1 against a LB, with acres of space beyond the defender, and then passes back inside, you know what you are missing. Conte knows it. Paratici knows it. If you have a player who threatens to run past the LB and get in, then the opposition defense becomes stretched as they have to cover this possibility, creating space for Son etc. They don't have to with Royal.

Last edited:
Deki, Bissouma, Spence/Doherty, Lenglet to start for me on Saturday
Rotate Royal, Son, Davies & PEH

Thought Davies was one of our better players on the ball against Sporting. From what I can remember he played several very useful passes and looked to join in with the attack.

Want to see Kulusevski start, can't quite understand why he hasn't been unless there's some unknown injury/illness thing going on.

Don't quite get why Doherty or Spence aren't even getting meaningful sub appearances.

Can't really see Conte changing out PEH. Can't say that Bissouma has done enough to warrant him getting a start either, but I would like to see him and Skipp getting more minutes soon.

Thought Davies was one of our better players on the ball against Sporting. From what I can remember he played several very useful passes and looked to join in with the attack.

Want to see Kulusevski start, can't quite understand why he hasn't been unless there's some unknown injury/illness thing going on.

Don't quite get why Doherty or Spence aren't even getting meaningful sub appearances.

Can't really see Conte changing out PEH. Can't say that Bissouma has done enough to warrant him getting a start either, but I would like to see him and Skipp getting more minutes soon.

Trying not to sound like I’m hating on Royal because I don’t think he’s a bad player, I just find it totally unnecessary to start him against teams we should beat. Fair enough against the top teams when you need to be compact and organised, but he kills attacks and yet starts every bloody game regardless of the opposition and yet Conte rotates every other position in the team.

Agree about Kulusevski. Actually hurts us when he doesn’t start games, when he comes on he immediately looks like our best player which he has been.

But I have no doubt we will probably see the exact same team lineup against Leicester on Saturday.

Edwards seemed to come in off the right. Which we missed without Kulu too. Makes it easy to defend against us, as no one needs to worry much about the space in behind on the right. Teams cover off Son knowing our right flank is relatively benign. I don't mind who is playing there so long as they can exploit space. When Royal gets the ball 1-1 against a RB, with acres of space beyond the defender, and then passes back inside, you know what you are missing. Conte knows it. Paratici knows it. If you have a player who threatens to run past the RB and get in, then the opposition defense becomes stretched as they have to cover this possibility, creating space for Son etc. They don't have to with Royal.
We have those players
Conte is choosing not to play them

I won't get too wrapped up in this result or performance, we were two mins away from a good point.
Lisbon aren't an easy touch, we were the better team for large spells and our week has been disrupted.
But something needs done about son/kulu and our subs policy.

Wait, so we shouldn't fire our Conte / our fitness team / the pre season coordinator off the back of our first real disappointing result of the season?

Does seem like a few on here couldn't wait for a loss to rehash pre conceived talking points, some of those points have merit plus I appreciate that "Conte knows best" isn't super productive for discourse but to some it's like we've lost perspective the run we've been on since before the summer.

I'm still fuming!! fudging stubborn Conte!! What the fudge is the point of signing players, and signing them early, when you don't bloody use them?? Both full backs were visibly fatigued in the last 20 minutes, and the same with Højbjerg and Bentancur, and in the end that fatigue and Conte refusing to make subs, cost us the game.

We could have had the group all but wrapped up after 2 games if it wasn't for fudging Conte stubbornness!

I would say that he can likely see the same thing as everyone else regarding Son v Kulu but is choosing to continue playing Son in an attempt to have him find form - the longer he goes without playing well the sooner Conte will have a decision to make on that.

fudge knows what's going on with RWB though
How much time can be given? He's had almost 10 games now and has been trash in most of them.
Do we let Kulu sit on the bench and lose his form? It just seems really strange to me.

Trying not to sound like I’m hating on Royal because I don’t think he’s a bad player, I just find it totally unnecessary to start him against teams we should beat. Fair enough against the top teams when you need to be compact and organised, but he kills attacks and yet starts every bloody game regardless of the opposition and yet Conte rotates every other position in the team.

Agree about Kulusevski. Actually hurts us when he doesn’t start games, when he comes on he immediately looks like our best player which he has been.

But I have no doubt we will probably see the exact same team lineup against Leicester on Saturday.
He barely rotates any position. The only position that has been rotated properly is LWB and to a lesser extent LCB since Lenglet has come in.
The others are set in stone with no changes unless enforced through injury. It really makes no sense not to rotate a little, especially as several of the players are playing below par.

Well people kept on banging on about how it was a great window and we had ‘got in exactly who Conte wanted’. How on earth does anyone know this? What we do know about Conte is he only gives real minutes to those he rates and trusts. Perisic and Richarlison are no surprise to see them getting plenty of game time. Lenglet has been getting some of late, but clearly wasn’t Contes first choice to recruit at LCB.

He’s made it public enough times that Spence wasn’t his pick, Bissouma will doubtless get more minutes but isn’t going to change our dynamic much even if he does become a regular although at least does have a good shot on him. Foster is a backup keeper. With the exception of Richarlison and Perisic there have been no real high level signings, and that is reflected in Conte only really keen on those two playing many minutes. The window really wasn’t some massive success that was being painted on here it was just ok - at best it will keep us pushing for top 4 again - we are still no better than that….

Well people kept on banging on about how it was a great window and we had ‘got in exactly who Conte wanted’. How on earth does anyone know this? What we do know about Conte is he only gives real minutes to those he rates and trusts. Perisic and Richarlison are no surprise to see them getting plenty of game time. Lenglet has been getting some of late, but clearly wasn’t Contes first choice to recruit at LCB.

He’s made it public enough times that Spence wasn’t his pick, Bissouma will doubtless get more minutes but isn’t going to change our dynamic much even if he does become a regular although at least does have a good shot on him. Foster is a backup keeper. With the exception of Richarlison and Perisic there have been no real high level signings, and that is reflected in Conte only really keen on those two playing many minutes. The window really wasn’t some massive success that was being painted on here it was just ok - at best it will keep us pushing for top 4 again - we are still no better than that….

Conte being so vocal about Spence bein g a club pick would suggest the others were his, no?

Back