• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**** Sporting Clube de Portugal v Tottenham Hotspur FC ****

Well people kept on banging on about how it was a great window and we had ‘got in exactly who Conte wanted’. How on earth does anyone know this? What we do know about Conte is he only gives real minutes to those he rates and trusts. Perisic and Richarlison are no surprise to see them getting plenty of game time. Lenglet has been getting some of late, but clearly wasn’t Contes first choice to recruit at LCB.

He’s made it public enough times that Spence wasn’t his pick, Bissouma will doubtless get more minutes but isn’t going to change our dynamic much even if he does become a regular although at least does have a good shot on him. Foster is a backup keeper. With the exception of Richarlison and Perisic there have been no real high level signings, and that is reflected in Conte only really keen on those two playing many minutes. The window really wasn’t some massive success that was being painted on here it was just ok - at best it will keep us pushing for top 4 again - we are still no better than that….
We dont know
We do know if he wasn’t happy he would tell everyone though
We also know that he takes his time to bed players in before really playing them … eriksen was getting some game time when he joined Contes inter but was really a bit part player for that first half a season for example

Conte being so vocal about Spence bein g a club pick would suggest the others were his, no?
He was more vocal about it because he wanted to make it clear he was one for the future, the others signed were established players. I’m not pretending to know everything, all I’m saying is we know Conte plays the players he rates and Richi and Perisic haven’t had problems getting minutes so you can’t put it down to integration. I just don’t see what we have done in the transfer window that has given us a massive boost in quality. Sure, we have a bit more depth and balance but it’s all a bit much of a muchness and even though Richi is a great signing - we are one injury in the front 3 away from them all playing the week in week out again. I just never saw why so many thought our window was so good, I don’t see what has elevated us at all…..

We dont know
We do know if he wasn’t happy he would tell everyone though
We also know that he takes his time to bed players in before really playing them … eriksen was getting some game time when he joined Contes inter but was really a bit part player for that first half a season for example
Yeah, it’s not so much Conte didn’t want these players at all - more they weren’t his first picks that he would have wanted to truly challenge the first team players. Which is why he said we need a few windows to challenge. Instead he sees a lot of these as squad fillers, such as wanting Bastoni and getting Lenglet….

Well people kept on banging on about how it was a great window and we had ‘got in exactly who Conte wanted’. How on earth does anyone know this? What we do know about Conte is he only gives real minutes to those he rates and trusts. Perisic and Richarlison are no surprise to see them getting plenty of game time. Lenglet has been getting some of late, but clearly wasn’t Contes first choice to recruit at LCB.

He’s made it public enough times that Spence wasn’t his pick, Bissouma will doubtless get more minutes but isn’t going to change our dynamic much even if he does become a regular although at least does have a good shot on him. Foster is a backup keeper. With the exception of Richarlison and Perisic there have been no real high level signings, and that is reflected in Conte only really keen on those two playing many minutes. The window really wasn’t some massive success that was being painted on here it was just ok - at best it will keep us pushing for top 4 again - we are still no better than that….
I think it's a bit early to judge the window. We don't know how well drilled in the system the new players are. Yes, they had a pre-season, but might still not be quite there yet. As I mentioned in an earlier post, yes the performances seem a bit boring, but we do the things we need to do to win games. And I can see why yesterday Conte didn't make subs: we were quite comfortable in controlling the game and there was no reason to disrupt that. A point away at Sporting would have been just fine. Conte's motto is "if you can't win, at least don't lose." It just so happened that we conceded off a set piece on the 90th minute. This stuff happens. I'm not trying to justify the complete lack of subs, only giving a different perspective.

He was more vocal about it because he wanted to make it clear he was one for the future, the others signed were established players. I’m not pretending to know everything, all I’m saying is we know Conte plays the players he rates and Richi and Perisic haven’t had problems getting minutes so you can’t put it down to integration. I just don’t see what we have done in the transfer window that has given us a massive boost in quality. Sure, we have a bit more depth and balance but it’s all a bit much of a muchness and even though Richi is a great signing - we are one injury in the front 3 away from them all playing the week in week out again. I just never saw why so many thought our window was so good, I don’t see what has elevated us at all…..
This one transfer window was never going to solve all our problems. But it's a step in the right direction. We added quality depth to the team that finished with a flourish last season. Bissouma, Perisic, Richie, and Lenglet are all quality players. They will get up to speed at different times and the ones that aren't used that much now will be once they do. And Conte himself has said it's going to take 2-3 windows. Baby steps.

One first team upgrade (Perisic), one at least competition player that's forcing his way into the starting lineup (Richarlison). Lenglet and Bissouma yet to really show what they can do over a bit of time, but at the very least good cover where we lacked cover. One so far looks more for the future (Spence), but let's see what he can do when he gets his chances.

To me that's good, not great, but good. Lack of immediate upgrades in one or two positions lacking, but that's life.

Part of our issue last season was cover. We already had a fairly strong first choice 11.

So far we haven't gotten that first choice 11 up to the level they showed at the end of last season. That's a concern, but not caused by the transfer window.

Conte and those first choice players need to get the team up to that level we know we can reach. Then the window will again look very good.

Bissouma missed a chunk of preseason being out with Covid and then picked up an injury which overlapped the start of the season, the non sensationalist story there is that he is simply behind the others in terms of being up to speed.

You seem to have taken exception to people being happy with the window - we've signed 3 players to compete for starting positions, some youngsters with actual potential and a couple of handy backup players- don't really see your angle tbh the most popular rating for the window in the thread a couple of weeks back was a 7/10, doesn't really seem like an unfair score and considering the windows we have endured since leaving WHL it has been a massive improvement.

Last edited:
Bissouma missed a chunk of preseason being out with Covid and then picked up an injury which overlapped the start of the season, the non sensationalist story there is that he is simply behind the others in terms of being up to speed.

You seem to have taken exception to people being happy with the window - we've signed 3 players to compete for starting positions, some youngsters with actual potential and a couple of handy backup players- don't really see your angle tbh the most popular rating for the window in the thread a couple of weeks back was a 7/10, doesn't really seem like an unfair score and considering the windows we have endured since leaving WHL it has been a massive improvement.
Was it? My recollection was there being more 8 and 9s for the window than anything else, if the average was 7 and then that is fair - I think it was a decent window, nothing more or less.

It is of course fair comment to wait until later to judge in the season, and if over time other signings are trusted more. But I don’t see how the personnel signed beyond Richi/Perisic elevates us, yes more bodies and better depth but the same can be said at other clubs. An injury to Kane/Son/Kulu/Richi and it will be the same front 3 played week in week out, people are dreaming if they think Gil is going to get a load of game time just because he stayed. The CMs are a real lack of creativity and don’t score hardly, still the same issue at RWB and it is still constantly a painful watch. So I am yet to be convinced that this window has been that good.

But of course, the season is long and patience is a virtue so happy to watch how it all plays out….

We have those players
Conte is choosing not to play them

Maybe. Who would you play? It clearly needs addressing. As outlined before not having effective width down the right let’s the opposition focus on defending our left flank and central areas which cramps Son.

Emerson Royal had three [chances] and there was one good chance each for Harry Kane and Richarlison, yet none for Son Heung-min.

Maybe. Who would you play? It clearly needs addressing. As outlined before not having effective width down the right let’s the opposition focus on defending our left flank and central areas which cramps Son.

Emerson Royal had three [chances] and there was one good chance each for Harry Kane and Richarlison, yet none for Son Heung-min.
Honestly Royal IMO would be third choice
I’d go Doherty as he has proven himself at this level as Wing Back…
Then Spence and see how he progresses
Then royal vs 4 teams maybe
I always think if the teams unbalanced wide as it is with Royal it can have a huge knock on, on other sides

I don't see the problem being that royal missed those chances, for me the problem is that it is him that is in those positions and not a forward player.

I don't see the problem being that royal missed those chances, for me the problem is that it is him that is in those positions and not a forward player.
That’s the system
You see Inter yesterday with Dumfries attacking… he was further forward than Dzeko a lot

I
That’s the system
You see Inter yesterday with Dumfries attacking… he was further forward than Dzeko a lot
Im aware of dumfries but not familiar with him. Is he a traditional rb like royal, or a more forward thinking rwb with the attack mindset and skills that royal lacks?
Not digging out royal, I'm a fan when he is played in his proper role, but i can't see why we would expect him to convert those chances.

That's the hardest game of our group out the way.
I'm not so sure about that, like @Mosquito_Coasting said there will be other difficult games. We should be winning most of these games while drawing here and there. IMO, a loss against Sporting is a poor result and was preventable if not for Conte's inane selection/substitution (or lack thereof) choices.

c2bde0d99bc1f97c31bf456206b54f5b.png

Average is around 7.5. Overall that's pretty positive from 56 posters voting, and would also agree that it's a fair assessment. In terms of what @harr1984 is saying, maybe some of us are jumping the gun a bit since it is still pretty early in the season, but I do think Conte's selection has been abnormal as I've been saying. Kulu and Bentancur both basically slotted right in when we bought them, and some people out there think January signings need even more bedding in time than signings made in the summer.

acab9a605e967f8258ea0af126036900.png

We didn't have width on either side. Both Son and Richarlison were playing inside so it was all up to the wingbacks to create the width. This is why I think most of us want Kulu starting games on the right. He provides threat and actually beats defenders to push the ball into the box from the byline, or he'll cut back right outside the box for a shot if given enough space.

25c17989509813335a6a8d3e8788cbad.png

The team had trouble in the middle trying to force through balls that just weren't on.

I would like to know what people's thoughts are with the partnership between Perisic and Son. They've pretty much been starting every game, and I'm not sure we've seen too much of Perisic together with Richarlison on the left flank to make any judgments yet (although hopefully if Kulu starts on the right next match, we'll see more of this).

Bentancur & Kulu came in to a team that had not yet got up to speed with how the manager wanted to play and also one that had a couple of glaring holes that needed filling - i think by the end of last season Conte had an XI he trusted and that knew what his demands were, so it's a different situation for new signings starting afresh this season and i think it makes sense to see us stay close to that XI for the first part of the season - even then we have seen Perisic come in as first choice not long after the start and now we have Richarlson & Lenglet knocking on the door - i would expect to see Bissouma integrated after the upcoming international break (will he be off on internationals does anyone know?)

I'm not so sure about that, like @Mosquito_Coasting said there will be other difficult games. We should be winning most of these games while drawing here and there. IMO, a loss against Sporting is a poor result and was preventable if not for Conte's inane selection/substitution (or lack thereof) choices.

c2bde0d99bc1f97c31bf456206b54f5b.png

Average is around 7.5. Overall that's pretty positive from 56 posters voting, and would also agree that it's a fair assessment. In terms of what @harr1984 is saying, maybe some of us are jumping the gun a bit since it is still pretty early in the season, but I do think Conte's selection has been abnormal as I've been saying. Kulu and Bentancur both basically slotted right in when we bought them, and some people out there think January signings need even more bedding in time than signings made in the summer.

acab9a605e967f8258ea0af126036900.png

We didn't have width on either side. Both Son and Richarlison were playing inside so it was all up to the wingbacks to create the width. This is why I think most of us want Kulu starting games on the right. He provides threat and actually beats defenders to push the ball into the box from the byline, or he'll cut back right outside the box for a shot if given enough space.

25c17989509813335a6a8d3e8788cbad.png

The team had trouble in the middle trying to force through balls that just weren't on.

I would like to know what people's thoughts are with the partnership between Perisic and Son. They've pretty much been starting every game, and I'm not sure we've seen too much of Perisic together with Richarlison on the left flank to make any judgments yet (although hopefully if Kulu starts on the right next match, we'll see more of this).

If there isn’t a threat on one flank it allows the opposition to move over and stay compact down the middle and other flank. So much easier to defend the left flank when the right is benign.

You can see why Conte persists with Royal. He’s normally an excellent defender. We haven’t lost since April !!!! And he has potential going forward, but let’s be honest he’ll never be a great attacker. Kulu or Moura as RWB would leave us more exposed defensively but provide more balance in attack.

I’m more miffed at Conte for not using the squad to refresh our midfield. Didn’t think Bentancur was on form and Hojgjerg was done by 80mins.

There is an issue with attacking balance, but more often than not we get a goal, then remain solid defensively.

I

Im aware of dumfries but not familiar with him. Is he a traditional rb like royal, or a more forward thinking rwb with the attack mindset and skills that royal lacks?
Not digging out royal, I'm a fan when he is played in his proper role, but i can't see why we would expect him to convert those chances.
Dumfries is a wing back 100%
Spence is similar in style but with a potentially bigger upside
Royal can defend … that’s it
He is a solid right back

Back