• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

Greaves was the same. Clive Allen too. Rubbish apart from the goals and the goal threat that occupies defenders to allow others to score. Why even bother with such players?
Ooh that's a bit strong, don't you think? Bit of a cliche perhaps?

Greaves in particular often did some very nice approach work, even if he was never THAT involved. But remember, Greaves was heavily marked most of the time and to an extent that's what kept him out of things. Although I'd agree he also did less running about than most.

However we've also seen spells where even Kane hardly gets a touch all game. What's changed recently is that he's decided he's fed up with being marked out of the game and not getting the service, so he's come that much deeper to find the space. To stunning effect!

But I also think fewer teams are keeping 11 players behind the ball nowadays. The high press when so many come searching for the ball is yielding more space in the middle of the park, and Kane is exploiting this change to devastating effect.

His finishing was so good you take it for granted. Perfectly placed instinctive finishes. Kissing the inside of post is perfection. Got a kiss from Conte too when he was subbed!

Last edited:
he would, most other forwards fudge those chances up 9 times out of 10
Some strikers are great when one-on-one with the keeper, some are not.

It may be rose tinted specs, but Defoe was brilliant at it...when he wasn't offside. Keano, on the other hand, seemed to hash it up whenever he had time to think.

Sonny just puts it away almost every time. If anything, I think he's better one-on-one than Kane.

Some strikers are great when one-on-one with the keeper, some are not.

It may be rose tinted specs, but Defoe was brilliant at it...when he wasn't offside. Keano, on the other hand, seemed to hash it up whenever he had time to think.

Sonny just puts it away almost every time. If anything, I think he's better one-on-one than Kane.
Keane IMO wasn’t great when he had time… instinctive play, he was excellent at
Defoe was a real mix

Greaves was the same. Clive Allen too. Rubbish apart from the goals and the goal threat that occupies defenders to allow others to score. Why even bother with such players?
But i bet they passed forward and actually took on players rather than turning back and playing backwards.

As long as Son keeps scoring as many as he does, the rest of us will love it, keep throwing the stats at you, and enjoy watching you desperately clutching to your opinion. It's fun.
So you mean you will keep being blind an naive? You do that and i’ll do what i do and we can both be happy, sound like a plan?

Wow! You really don’t see any other positive aspects to his game? The amount of assists and chances he creates for example? Before today, Son had more assists in the PL in his career than Kane. Son would walk into any other team in the league bar the top two teams, and I’d be willing to bet he would start more often not if he played for Emirates Marketing Project. Liverpool I’m not so sure as they arguably have the best front three in the league. I think we indeed must be watching different players.
Walk into any other team? Never been linked with a move away but yet is classed as an Elite forward, why is that? I’m sure people go blind as soon as a fan favourite hits form.
Is the same with Kane, everyone wanted him gone and said he was useless the first half of the season and now he has found form all the criticism has disappeared like it was never there.

I am not saying Son is not in great form at the moment but i am not going to hide the fact he has been bang average for most of the season regardless of the goals scored. I’m sure if you look through this thread many people who are claiming he has been wonderful all season were slating him aswell but now he looks to be hitting his seasonal red hot patch everyones forgot about the rest.

Walk into any other team? Never been linked with a move away but yet is classed as an Elite forward, why is that? I’m sure people go blind as soon as a fan favourite hits form.
Is the same with Kane, everyone wanted him gone and said he was useless the first half of the season and now he has found form all the criticism has disappeared like it was never there.

I am not saying Son is not in great form at the moment but i am not going to hide the fact he has been bang average for most of the season regardless of the goals scored. I’m sure if you look through this thread many people who are claiming he has been wonderful all season were slating him aswell but now he looks to be hitting his seasonal red hot patch everyones forgot about the rest.
While Son has definitely had some quite poor spells this season I don't believe the alternatives were a better option at the time. Son has an unpredictable quality to him that makes him a live wire even when he's having a clown's foot day. His presence alone makes defenders think because he has that burst of pace and can and will go either side. We've needed that randomness to keep defenders on their toes. He's also let's forget a good finisher, above average as his XG shows.

While I agree Bergwijn has come into some great goal scoring form it's also coincided with the period where Son was still scoring despite playing poorly. I like Bergwijn and stood up for him when Jose was playing him as a defensive attacker but I don't see him being a better option than Son in most occasions. I would though like to see either Son or Kane taken off a little bit earlier and Bergwijn to be the first attacking option off the bench.

It's actually a good place to be in and the first time since we had the 4 strikers under Jol to have slightly to many good attacking options. We now have 4 maybe even 5 decent options for the 3 attacking berths when even just at the start of this season we only had Kane and Son who were of adequate quality for the 3 roles.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

He is classed as an elite forward due to the number of goals and assists he gets every year. He’s way ahead of players of similar calibre in goals scored like Jota and Mane, albeit different players but play in the same position as him. I wonder what your opinion of Mane and Jota is considering Son is ahead of both in goals and assists? He was ahead of them in both categories last season too. He’s 3 goals away from 20 league goals which is the gold standard for a forward. No matter what sequence the goals come in, not sure how anyone can credibly claim he’s not consistent if he scores that amount of goals in a season.

He is classed as an elite forward due to the number of goals and assists he gets every year. He’s way ahead of players of similar calibre in goals scored like Jota and Mane, albeit different players but play in the same position as him. I wonder what your opinion of Mane and Jota is considering Son is ahead of both in goals and assists? He was ahead of them in both categories last season too. He’s 3 goals away from 20 league goals which is the gold standard for a forward. No matter what sequence the goals come in, not sure how anyone can credibly claim he’s not consistent if he scores that amount of goals in a season.
Absolutely. Some people don't seem to notice that ALL strikers, even the best, are streaky to a greater or lesser extent. All top strikers go on runs when they cannot stop scoring followed by spells when somehow nothing seems to go in for them.

Absolutely. Some people don't seem to notice that ALL strikers, even the best, are streaky to a greater or lesser extent. All top strikers go on runs when they cannot stop scoring followed by spells when somehow nothing seems to go in for them.

Been looking over his stats from this season and his longest spell without a goal is 4 games. Not that unusual for a top forward. Hopefully he has no more droughts this season :)

Been looking over his stats from this season and his longest spell without a goal is 4 games. Not that unusual for a top forward. Hopefully he has no more droughts this season :)
This is the thing. Son is streaky, sure, but his level never drops below "things aren't coming off but trying hard, getting in the right positions, and might create a goal from nowhere". Compare that to the dross we've had in the past who couldn't score in a brothel.

I think the only reason for Sonny not being linked to the world's biggest clubs is that he (and his team) have made it abundantly clear that he's happy where he is.

This is the thing. Son is streaky, sure, but his level never drops below "things aren't coming off but trying hard, getting in the right positions, and might create a goal from nowhere". Compare that to the dross we've had in the past who couldn't score in a brothel.

I think the only reason for Sonny not being linked to the world's biggest clubs is that he (and his team) have made it abundantly clear that he's happy where he is.

And he always works hard. I keep repeating myself, but he’s a far better all round player than he was when we signed him. Creates and assists far more and has improved his decision making.

Completely agree with the second paragraph. Clubs know when a player is happy or would he tempted with a move. I must admit I was worried he wouldn’t sign a new contract and was quite surprised when he did, but he’s clearly enjoying life where he is.

All players have rough patches, even Kane does. Son is the 2nd top scorer in the league. He’s above players like Jota who has been outstanding. He’s above every player in the Emirates Marketing Project team who create chances for fun. Let’s just put that into perspective for a moment. Son was playing under Nuno for 3 months and created next to nothing in terms of goalscoring opportunities for the majority of his reign. I’m wondering just how many goals he needs to score in a season to convince people that he isn’t this streaky, one-dimensional player who does nothing when he doesn’t score. He assists and creates far more than he did when we first signed him, he causes havoc with his pace, he’s a far more rounded player than he was 3-4 years ago.
I think it was the match against Man United where Son was slipping like crazy, and against Burnley when we lost 1-0 he wasn't at his best. He does have games where he's more or less anonymous, it's disingenuous to suggest that he doesn't.
With that said, no one here is disagreeing about how good he is. We all know every player goes through dips in form and there's nothing wrong with that. Son is probably my favorite player at the club. Thing is, sometimes players NEED breaks. Their bodies can't handle playing two matches in 72 hours in the middle of the season, that's why we have a squad. Of course it's not Son picking the team, it's up to the manager to do his best to plan who plays when. This is why we desperately needed a proper backup for Kane as Scarlett isn't quite ready yet and hopefully goes out on loan next season.

TL;DR rely on your stars but don't forget to lean on the squad to give the stars a break every now and then.

I think it was the match against Man United where Son was slipping like crazy, and against Burnley when we lost 1-0 he wasn't at his best. He does have games where he's more or less anonymous, it's disingenuous to suggest that he doesn't.
With that said, no one here is disagreeing about how good he is. We all know every player goes through dips in form and there's nothing wrong with that. Son is probably my favorite player at the club. Thing is, sometimes players NEED breaks. Their bodies can't handle playing two matches in 72 hours in the middle of the season, that's why we have a squad. Of course it's not Son picking the team, it's up to the manager to do his best to plan who plays when. This is why we desperately needed a proper backup for Kane as Scarlett isn't quite ready yet and hopefully goes out on loan next season.

TL;DR rely on your stars but don't forget to lean on the squad to give the stars a break every now and then.

No argument from me about his bad games or spells within games when he’s below par. And I have no problem with taking him out of the firing line if it’s not happening for him, but I completely disagree that his form warranted benching. By all means sub him off, but we don’t have anyone close to him on the bench to warrant dropping him.

So you believe that Son when not in form is still a very good player? You don’t see him run into trouble, fall over, pass backwards and not take on a man?

I am not doubting his stats but the bigger picture is, when he is not in form he is shocking.

Back