• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

Hey Harr, just for fun, here's a little game for you. :D

SPOT THE STREAKY STRIKER

Below is a profile of 10 unidentified PL players, in no particular order, showing the number of goals each has scored game-by-game. Each has scored a total of at least 10 goals for their club in all competitions so far this season. Streaks of five or more blank games are highlighted in red whilst longer scoring runs are picked out in blue.

Your challenge is to identify which one is Son?

Player 1

Player 2

Player 3

Player 4

Player 5

Player 6

Player 7

Player 8

Player 9

Player 10

That’s great and all, but I literally said perhaps he’s been better this season. Want to play that game for previous seasons?

That’s great and all, but I literally said perhaps he’s been better this season. Want to play that game for previous seasons?
Well, given he is now one of the LEAST streaky strikers in the PL, don't you think, as a Spurs fan in particular, it might be time to drop the 'streaky' tag?

Let's remember he is not an out-and-out striker like, say, Lukaku (who happens to be more streaky than most); also as others have pointed out, his 'assists' stats are among the best.

I’m not saying Bergwijn is at Sons level, but he isn’t so far off it that he is incapable of covering him for games here and there for Son to recover from tiredness or loss of form. As for him being streaky - he has been labelled that in the past because he tends to score his goals in clusters. Has shown he’s capable of going on runs of scoring for a couple of months, followed by a similar length of time not scoring. Perhaps he has improved that aspect this season, but it’s not unfair to have called him a streaky player. Being streaky doesn’t mean you don’t end up having a very good total output….

For me Son is at a level where it makes more sense to let him play his way back to form of he's off form or in a streak of not scoring.

He's always found his way back to very good end product. He can be trusted to do the same the next time this happens. He's always a threat and the next run of frequent goals is always possible at any time.

Same as Kane in that regard, even though Kane is at an even higher level both in overall quality and in his impact on games even if not scoring.

For me Son is at a level where it makes more sense to let him play his way back to form of he's off form or in a streak of not scoring.

He's always found his way back to very good end product. He can be trusted to do the same the next time this happens. He's always a threat and the next run of frequent goals is always possible at any time.

Same as Kane in that regard, even though Kane is at an even higher level both in overall quality and in his impact on games even if not scoring.
This ‘playing their way back into form’ thing I don’t buy. Son is a very good player so of course he’s never going to be out of form forever, it doesn’t justify never resting/dropping him. He should have been on the bench for the odd game, start Bergwijn and still let Son on for the last 30 if not working. It’s not like Bergwijn doesn’t show every time he’s on the pitch he can do things, and has a slightly better goals per minute ratio in the league even though he’s barely given any time to get into the game. Plus it would actually keep Bergwijn more happy, and we need him for next season….

This ‘playing their way back into form’ thing I don’t buy. Son is a very good player so of course he’s never going to be out of form forever, it doesn’t justify never resting/dropping him. He should have been on the bench for the odd game, start Bergwijn and still let Son on for the last 30 if not working. It’s not like Bergwijn doesn’t show every time he’s on the pitch he can do things, and has a slightly better goals per minute ratio in the league even though he’s barely given any time to get into the game. Plus it would actually keep Bergwijn more happy, and we need him for next season….

I agree with the logic, the problem is Bergwijn is nowhere near Son’s level. Liverpool have Salah, Mane, Diaz and Jota, four forwards of similar quality plus Firmino who is a level below them. There’s barely any drop off if Jota was dropped for Diaz. I’m not sure if you’re underrating Son or overrating Bergwijn. He’s been much improved this season but I wouldn’t say he’s been impressive every time hes been on the pitch as you intimated. You’re also forgetting the understanding Kane and Son have. If Son isn’t on the pitch we lose that. They look for each other and either score or assist the vast majority of our goals. One usually sets the other one up. The combination have scored more goals than any other partnership in PL history.

Resting is one thing, if he's in need of rest. Dropping something different.

Players can and do play their way back into form, that's a thing that happens imo. The better the player is the more worth it that becomes as the upside is greater. Not sure if it's one of those statements you don't buy, or both, or something else.

Yup. There'll be a fair few posts in this thread that have aged about as well as hotel lasagne.
He has found form, but everyone and their mother could see he was not inform for a big part of the season. Should we just bury our head in the sand when a player finds form after being brick for months?

I will give him credit when he performs and slate him when he is brick, thats how it works.

He has found form, but everyone and their mother could see he was not inform for a big part of the season. Should we just bury our head in the sand when a player finds form after being brick for months?

I will give him credit when he performs and slate him when he is brick, thats how it works.

Compare the stick a goalie gets for one mistake to undieing love a striker gets despite being in poor form.
Hugo kept us in that game tonight, and not for the first time this season, yet loads moan like fudge with every slip.

Compare the stick a goalie gets for one mistake to undieing love a striker gets despite being in poor form.
Hugo kept us in that game tonight, and not for the first time this season, yet loads moan like fudge with every slip.
Goalie slips cost goal
Strikers get chances to recover their mistakes in the same game

Back