• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

Whatever you do these days there is likely some kind of admin time, doing training/compliance courses, timesheets, reporting, documentation, etc.

There is scope for some WFH there. It’s important to treat staff fairly.

Not quite today but two days ago we visited the War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City (fka Saigon). It was very harrowing stuff, particularly the exhibits about the US use of “Agent Orange” and the effects it is still having today on second and third generations with awful birth defects. Truly upsetting to see.
It is visiting places such as this that re-enforces the futility of war and that it is always the innocents that ultimately bear the brunt.
We went yesterday to the Viet Cong Tunnels outside the city. What an experience that was! Whilst it is well known how narrow and small they are, it was quite unbelievable that people lived in these tunnels and to experience it first hand was something else. Most of the tunnels have been slightly widened to accommodate western tourists but we went into one of the original ones - I think we were the only people when we were there who did this, going by how clean everyone else was and how covered in mud we were from literally crawling on hands and knees for 30 metres. Hot, humid, claustrophobic. But certainly an experience.

The tunnels are an amazing experience as is the museum. Hope you fired the AK, great fun.

So glad to be getting my work laptop sorted tomorrow
I've literally had nothing to do last 2 days and it's boring as hell, on the plus side though I've been paid a whole week before I've even logged on, madness
I really am not one for just sitting around I actually love working

Lost my job in January (after 32 years), not worked since. Tried to change career direction, but no luck. Bizzarely got offered an interview for a job I applied for by mistake, but declined. After a few months of touting for freelance work and getting empty promises I decided to retire. As you get older your contacts start to die off and the companies start to merge or disappear. My first company pension payment is due soon, state pension not due yet. Out of the blue today I got a commission for a small project. My first thought was to decline it, my confidence has gone. But I have just decided to accept the work, not sure if it was such a good idea but at least it will confirm if I am ready to retire.

Lost my job in January (after 32 years), not worked since. Tried to change career direction, but no luck. Bizzarely got offered an interview for a job I applied for by mistake, but declined. After a few months of touting for freelance work and getting empty promises I decided to retire. As you get older your contacts start to die off and the companies start to merge or disappear. My first company pension payment is due soon, state pension not due yet. Out of the blue today I got a commission for a small project. My first thought was to decline it, my confidence has gone. But I have just decided to accept the work, not sure if it was such a good idea but at least it will confirm if I am ready to retire.
Give it a go and as you say if it's not for you you can retire

Sorry to hear this, not in a similar situation so cannot provide any expertise, but my old boss used to say about work, be slightly uncomfortable. You don't want to be struggling, but you're only moving forward if you're on the edge of uncomfortable. You still want to mentally push yourself so give it a crack, nothing to lose.

Most new roles are uncomfortable as it’s a new culture, office, job and people

I was at my company for 24 and it took me almost 3 months in my next role to get over the fact I wasn’t at my old company

Now contracting you have to get used to it and quickly, I’m on my 5th contract in 28 months it’s the nature of what I do and I’m used to it now

So a mutual friend of my wife and I has done various bits of DIY for us since we moved into our new house, he did our bathroom, installed a new toilet, did all the tiling etc. He’s done lots for us over the last 2 years, very tardy but does a good job for a decent price.

He also fitted a new radiator for us in February as he used to be a plumber. Problem is we asked for a double convector radiator to pump out some extra heat but he fitted a single convector. Partly my fault as my wife left me in charge and I honestly didn’t notice he had fitted the wrong one until after he left and I’d paid him by that point. Been chasing him up ever since to come back and fix it. Like I said he’s a friend of ours and came to our wedding and I don’t wanna fall out but he’s just ignoring my messages now after months of stalling and saying he would come and fix it. Not really on for him to be ignoring me and I don’t want to make a big issue of it, truth be told I’m not even that annoyed, I just want him to fix it as I’ve never heard the end of it from the missus “I leave you in charge of one thing” etc.

So a mutual friend of my wife and I has done various bits of DIY for us since we moved into our new house, he did our bathroom, installed a new toilet, did all the tiling etc. He’s done lots for us over the last 2 years, very tardy but does a good job for a decent price.

He also fitted a new radiator for us in February as he used to be a plumber. Problem is we asked for a double convector radiator to pump out some extra heat but he fitted a single convector. Partly my fault as my wife left me in charge and I honestly didn’t notice he had fitted the wrong one until after he left and I’d paid him by that point. Been chasing him up ever since to come back and fix it. Like I said he’s a friend of ours and came to our wedding and I don’t wanna fall out but he’s just ignoring my messages now after months of stalling and saying he would come and fix it. Not really on for him to be ignoring me and I don’t want to make a big issue of it, truth be told I’m not even that annoyed, I just want him to fix it as I’ve never heard the end of it from the missus “I leave you in charge of one thing” etc.
Is the dear wife giving you the hurry up because the cold weather is kicking in,? 😁

He's a mutual friend of yours and hers, so is anything stopping her getting in touch with him too?

I got lambasted by a cyclist today (was yesterday actually). I am a cyclist too and always give bikes extra space when in the car. This cyclist was quite a sight. On a little brompton bike pumping his little legs at a furious rate. Ugly unshaven mug, highly aggressive, and to top it off, he's sporting a Gooner bennie.

After overtaking a car turning left and this Goon on a brompton who's a good 3 meters away from me, he starts mouthing off shouting - simply because I've over taken him. I don't take road rage too seriously, but there is a certain type of middle aged male angry cyclist who are a special breed. What is with them? Shouldn't they enjoy riding a bike, rather than take it out on other people? Needless to say I slowed down so I could impart my thoughts on his manners, and was only urged on by seeing his club allegiances :D

Last edited:
I got lambasted by a cyclist today (was yesterday actually). I am a cyclist too and always give bikes extra space when in the car. This cyclist is a sight for sore eyes. On a little brompton bike pumping is little legs at a furious rate. Ugly unshaven mug, highly aggressive, and to top it off, he's sporting a Gooner bennie.

After overtaking a car turning left and this Goon on a brompton who's a good 3 meters away from me, he start mouthing off shouting - simply because I've over taken him. I don't take road rage too seriously, but there is a certain type of middle aged male angry cyclist who are a special breed. What is with them? Shouldn't they enjoy riding a bike, rather than take it out on other people? Needless to say I emparted my thoughts on his manners, and was only urged on by seeing his club allegiances :D
I tend to find the words "Put that child's toy away, you fudging peasant" do wonders for their mood when they're like that.

It sounds like this will be good for you as you aren’t ready to give it up from the sounds of it.

Did you know that you can set up and contribute to a new personal pension plan subject to limited conts even after you start withdrawing from a pension scheme. I think it went up from £4k to £8k recently) under Mr Hunt.

You can then elect to take all of this in one go as a cash sum (taxed) under the small pot rules if it is under £10k. You used to be able to do this with three pots so yeah split them under different providers.

This might help you better manage your finances over different tax years ‘til the SP kicks in.

It sounds like this will be good for you as you aren’t ready to give it up from the sounds of it.

Did you know that you can set up and contribute to a new personal pension plan subject to limited conts even after you start withdrawing from a pension scheme. I think it went up from £4k to £8k recently) under Mr Hunt.
Thank you very much for your reply. No I didnt know that, I'll look into it, thanks again. I dont think this will become regular income for me though. Realistically I have to put a lot more effort into setting up a freelance business, getting clients etc, I started to make a website (wordpress), and got some help in self promotion. It all felt a bit alien to me so I put it to one side. If this project goes well then maybe it will give me a kick up the backside and inspire me to finish it. A part of me wants to be creative for my myself rather than for other people.

Thank you very much for your reply. No I didnt know that, I'll look into it, thanks again. I dont think this will become regular income for me though. Realistically I have to put a lot more effort into setting up a freelance business, getting clients etc, I started to make a website (wordpress), and got some help in self promotion. It all felt a bit alien to me so I put it to one side. If this project goes well then maybe it will give me a kick up the backside and inspire me to finish it. A part of me wants to be creative for my myself rather than for other people.
You’re welcome, yeah there is much more to working than the commercial aspect. As we get older it is great to keep up with new technology ideas and young people.

I’m sort of in the same boat. I’m just finishing some studying before going back to work - but my line of work is really tedious and I’m a bit worried I’ll start flagging immediately.

My son turned over his Spurs calendar this morning to see Bentancur smiling at us for December... It tinkled me off again all morning!

Back