• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

It’s Remembrance Sunday shortly so I did a tour with a volunteer from Commonwealth war graves people at Epsom cemetery. The asylums and mental hospitals around epsom, St Ebba’s and Horton etc were commandeered for soldiers who needed six weeks recuperation whilst the then new Grandstand was kitted out as a surgical centre by public subscriptions. So there is a concentration of graves here.

Apparently there are about fifty such sites in the U.K.

The CWG’s are surprisingly woke. The dead of all creeds, ranks and roles lie side by side. I cannot remember the chaps name behind it but he fought his own battle against the elites for this equality.

The British plots have as many as 9 soldiers stacked atop each other. Whilst those from other nations each have a dedicated plot.

Family members had to pay for an inscription at the base of the headstones. This was expensive so many did not elect to do this.

All very orderly and kept tidy. The Second World War headstones are spread across the site with family graves. Some of these are in poor shape.

I think the cwgf oversees 1.7 million graves, and I was told that they have a project to add a we code to each grave for a biography of each of the interred. So I’ll be updating those of my family members.

In remembrance.
That sounds really fascinating.
I have huge respect and thanks for those who maintain the war graves.
About 15 years back we went to Rome with my mother-in-law. Her brother was killed at Anzio so we arranged for a driver to take us to the War Graves cemetery. She was on the cusp of dementia at the time but still had her long term memories and she had adored her brother. It was such an emotional visit. Mother in law had a tear, so did my husband because his mum was upset. He set me off and taking a look at our driver, who had come with us into the cemetery out of curiosity, and he was looking a bit damp-eyed as well. Apart from the obvious of visiting a relative’s grave (we were the first from the family to visit it), there is something very poignant about the perfect order in which the cemeteries are kept, and the rows and rows of white headstones.
We should never forget.
But yet it seems that we (the world) will never learn.

ask her why she's such a clam.

Edit: And i didn't write Clam.
As fun as that would be, I think I might stick to questions about the legality of Labour's independent school tax raid. Otherwise they might just hand back the fees and suggest I find another school.

That sounds really fascinating.
I have huge respect and thanks for those who maintain the war graves.
About 15 years back we went to Rome with my mother-in-law. Her brother was killed at Anzio so we arranged for a driver to take us to the War Graves cemetery. She was on the cusp of dementia at the time but still had her long term memories and she had adored her brother. It was such an emotional visit. Mother in law had a tear, so did my husband because his mum was upset. He set me off and taking a look at our driver, who had come with us into the cemetery out of curiosity, and he was looking a bit damp-eyed as well. Apart from the obvious of visiting a relative’s grave (we were the first from the family to visit it), there is something very poignant about the perfect order in which the cemeteries are kept, and the rows and rows of white headstones.
We should never forget.
But yet it seems that we (the world) will never learn.

That’s a good memory to have. Good on you for having visited. I must do the same.

Weird to think they actually landed and fought in Italy.

All the headstones come from their own quarry in Portland Dorset- all of them. So truly a little bit of England.

Strange but then by the same token grammar schools shouldn't exist. I guess it's a historical thing, I'm sure if there was a school with being Muslim, Hindu or any other non christian religion as the criteria it would be all over the news. My primary changed to a CofE part way through when I was there and don't remember much in the way of religious classes, nativity plays were at the local church but everything else stayed as it was as far as I can remember
These do exist.

"Won" the opportunity to pay something like £300 / ticket?

Lol. Okay I won the opportunity to buy two tickets at £235 a pop in the ballot.

Pretty high end stuff though. Only 15,000 people at one of the worlds premier sporting events. And it’s all day. And you may pack your own sarnies.

It’s men’s singles and ladies doubles.

Last edited:
Lol. Okay I won the opportunity to buy two tickets at £235 a pop in the ballot.

Pretty high end stuff though. Only 15,000 people at one of the worlds premier sporting events. And it’s all day. And you may pack your own sarnies.

It’s men’s singles and ladies doubles.
Well done mate, tried a few times myself

Back