• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

Spent an other 3 hours trying to contact someone/anyone at NHS to sort out hospial appointments without sucess, shouldn't expect any sucess as had same problem for last 4 days.

Spent an other 3 hours trying to contact someone/anyone at NHS to sort out hospial appointments without sucess, shouldn't expect any sucess as had same problem for last 4 days.
The whole system is broken
I asked my GP's about getting a blood test today, 8 weeks !!!
8 fudging weeks to get a blood test, what an absolute shambles

The whole system is broken
I asked my GP's about getting a blood test today, 8 weeks !!!
8 fudging weeks to get a blood test, what an absolute shambles
I have online access to all my medical stuff, so can avoid phoning the surgery and book any appointments online. BUT, similar to you the doc requested some blood tests and the next appointment didn't even exist...looking over a month into the future!

However, this may work for you. All I do now is go to the Pathology department at my local hospital. They are connected to my records as well, so I don't even have to take a form. As long as it has been requested on the system, they then have all the details they need. Usually get an appointment within 2/3 days and the results don't take 'a week or two' they're usually there the next day (on my records).

I haven't been in the UK since 94 what has happened to the NHS. It was once the envy of the world

I haven't been in the UK since 94 what has happened to the NHS. It was once the envy of the world
Rapidly increasing population, enough fatties to sink the Isle of Wight and a healthcare model that's nearly 90 years out of date.

A move to an insurance-based, privately provided model would generate more focus on prevention. Insurance also does a good job of increasing cost to those creating the greater risk.

That population is aging too.

I have two friends who are pretty healthy really but each had severe health issues from age 50 last year out of the blue, and the NHS saved their lives.

However, for most professional working people I would say private medical cover is a must. Who wants to be on a waiting list for two years when under insurance that procedure could be done in a few weeks.

I don’t know what healthcare in 25 years time looks like but I can tell you I am a lot lot more careful with my health than I was ten years ago!

The model is out of date due to many factors, no political party want to admit it or tell the people what it would cost them to meet their false expectations.
That's been the issue for a long time now.

Ask people if they think the NHS should be better and they'll overwhelmingly vote yes. Ask them if taxes should increase enough to fix it and everyone says no (except Scousers on permanent benefits).

My year 6 daughter will be moving schools next September. So we've been doing the tours of the various secondaries in my area.

Needless to say some 'appear' and view better than others and so we have our preferences.

Rather annoyingly the admissions policy of our probable first choice is still weighted massively towards church going parents and children. 240 places in total...215 foundation places (ie church going)....25 community spaces (ie non church going).

The issue I have is nothing to do with their religious outlook but that this policy is still allowed to be implemented. I could maybe understand if it was a private school, (but even then, much like private/corporate companies you expect them to follow discrimination, inclusiveness and equality policies) but this is one of the choices for state education, preferenced on your local education application form and allocated by the local education authority BUT only once they've taken this schools admissions policy into a account. This is a bit WTF to me?. It's a state school funded by taxpayers. I am surprised this hasn't been challenged, not least by the local authority themselves.

It's CofE, and my daughter attends a CofE primary at the moment...so she's (probably) had a grounding in their beliefs. We are not church goers but some non church goers we know have been going to clock up the required two years, which to me is disingenuous and faux.

I probably wouldn't mind as much if the split was 50/50 rather than 8%.

My year 6 daughter will be moving schools next September. So we've been doing the tours of the various secondaries in my area.

Needless to say some 'appear' and view better than others and so we have our preferences.

Rather annoyingly the admissions policy of our probable first choice is still weighted massively towards church going parents and children. 240 places in total...215 foundation places (ie church going)....25 community spaces (ie non church going).

The issue I have is nothing to do with their religious outlook but that this policy is still allowed to be implemented. I could maybe understand if it was a private school, (but even then, much like private/corporate companies you expect them to follow discrimination, inclusiveness and equality policies) but this is one of the choices for state education, preferenced on your local education application form and allocated by the local education authority BUT only once they've taken this schools admissions policy into a account. This is a bit WTF to me?. It's a state school funded by taxpayers. I am surprised this hasn't been challenged, not least by the local authority themselves.

It's CofE, and my daughter attends a CofE primary at the moment...so she's (probably) had a grounding in their beliefs. We are not church goers but some non church goers we know have been going to clock up the required two years, which to me is disingenuous and faux.

Yeh in 2023 that seems odd because from the outside it just reads like a recruitment vehicle

It's a ridiculous situation. There are some very good religious schools near us and sending the kids there would save over a quarter of a million pounds across their education. But I really struggled with the example it would set the kids if they were at a school where we had to tell them to listen to and respect their teachers 90% of the time, but to ignore the fairy stories they told for the rest of it. We even had a willing grandparent that was going to attend church on our behalf.

It's a lottery too. We moved almost next door to a very good infant school when my eldest was born. By the time school applications came around, it was in special measures - we had to move and do so very quickly.

They shouldn't be allowed to be selective, but if they weren't, they'd probably be just as bad as all the comps.

They shouldn't be allowed to be selective, but if they weren't, they'd probably be just as bad as all the comps.
But does being selective on religious grounds guarantee good kids?

As I've said it's not the religious angle, it's having any type of layer of 'them and us' criteria. I thought all areas of life was correctly squeezing this type of thinking out.
They're a state school funded by all of us, the school can have their preference and by all means promote themselves as a CofE leaning school and be a greater attraction to students whom think likewise BUT I can't see how they can force that on the education authority during the selection process.

Back