• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sergio Reguilón

I saw someone highlight this by showing our RB signings since Walker

Walker was replaced by Trippier, which was a step down and who was then replaced by Aurier, step down...
Who was replaced by Doherty, step down...
Who was eplaced by Royal, step down.

And somewhere in amongst that we let KWP go, who is arguably better than the last 3 players we signed for that position.

4 signings for one position over as many years, each progressively worse than the last

Multiply that by every position in the team that we have tried to improve since the summer we signed Son and Wanyama and you get the pitcure.

Hope we see more Bentancur & Kulusevski's from Paratichi than we do Golini & Royals - then we might be able to put the last few years behind us.

Not sure about the trippier one tbh, trippier is imho the better footballer, walker a far superior athlete.
Also think trippier would fit into more formations than walker would.

I saw someone highlight this by showing our RB signings since Walker

Walker was replaced by Trippier, which was a step down and who was then replaced by Aurier, step down...
Who was replaced by Doherty, step down...
Who was eplaced by Royal, step down.

And somewhere in amongst that we let KWP go, who is arguably better than the last 3 players we signed for that position.

4 signings for one position over as many years, each progressively worse than the last

Multiply that by every position in the team that we have tried to improve since the summer we signed Son and Wanyama and you get the pitcure.

Hope we see more Bentancur & Kulusevski's from Paratichi than we do Golini & Royals - then we might be able to put the last few years behind us.
I don't even agree that Aurier was a step down from Trippier. Offensively in terms of crossing sure but Trippier was absolute gash defensively. His offensive attributes mask that for many but he was truly awful faced up against anyone with any pace or trickery. His lack of pace or acceleration also meant he was very often caught upfield.

Royal is also not worse than Doherty as a RB in anyway. He only looks poor because he was bought to play in a flat back four. We then promptly sacked that coach and signed one who plays three at the back.

You'll find that a lot of the poor and inconsistent signings are because we have bought various players for different coaches and subsequently vastly different systems.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

The trouble is out of sight out of mind. Walker got about 20 assists in total over 230 games for us, which equates to maybe 4 assists per season, defensively he was known at the time for at least 1 brain fart per game - yet know he is remembered as this all conquering FB who did everything (and this despite Walker playing in probably our best team in a long time).

Royale has 1 assist in half a season, so he is averaging 1 assist less then walker over a season itself, while still in his first season in the country and certainly doesn't make a mistake every game like Walker did.

Trippier got 24 assists in 124 games or roughly 8 Assists per season so offensively was far more effective then walker, but his pace or lack thereof constantly allowed fast players to get crosses in down his side of the pitch.

Doherty has 6 assists in 28 games for us, averaging out at around 8 assists per season (small sample size) so offensively is similar output to Trippier.

Anyways, my point is Walker had pace so looked good but in reality he had no end product (no different to Reggie who i actually think is a better crosser then Walker ever was) but played in our most successful side so is remembered better then he actually was. Sometimes its worth remembering some of those old matchday posts about his constant mistakes, then apply the same conditions to our current FB's. I dont see Aarons etc as any step up personally on what we have currently and their stats certainly don't suggest they would offer anything more creatively yet they are chased as if they are the new messiah.

The trouble is out of sight out of mind. Walker got about 20 assists in total over 230 games for us, which equates to maybe 4 assists per season, defensively he was known at the time for at least 1 brain fart per game - yet know he is remembered as this all conquering FB who did everything (and this despite Walker playing in probably our best team in a long time).

Royale has 1 assist in half a season, so he is averaging 1 assist less then walker over a season itself, while still in his first season in the country and certainly doesn't make a mistake every game like Walker did.

Trippier got 24 assists in 124 games or roughly 8 Assists per season so offensively was far more effective then walker, but his pace or lack thereof constantly allowed fast players to get crosses in down his side of the pitch.

Doherty has 6 assists in 28 games for us, averaging out at around 8 assists per season (small sample size) so offensively is similar output to Trippier.

Anyways, my point is Walker had pace so looked good but in reality he had no end product (no different to Reggie who i actually think is a better crosser then Walker ever was) but played in our most successful side so is remembered better then he actually was. Sometimes its worth remembering some of those old matchday posts about his constant mistakes, then apply the same conditions to our current FB's. I dont see Aarons etc as any step up personally on what we have currently and their stats certainly don't suggest they would offer anything more creatively yet they are chased as if they are the new messiah.

Walker was the king of the second assist, he would be good at transitional play and moving the ball quickly from one end of the pitch to the other. Meaning the opposition had to change their format to cope with him.

He was awful defensively.

Walker was the king of the second assist, he would be good at transitional play and moving the ball quickly from one end of the pitch to the other. Meaning the opposition had to change their format to cope with him.

He was awful defensively.

I'm not criticising Walker, far from it - his pace stretched the play meaning it created space for others and he played in a back 4 not a 5. My point was more however, he was a very good player but had his pitfalls as our current fb's do. I quite like Reggie and i think with a season behind him he will get better, i quite like royale defensively but similar to Walker he offers very little going forward productively so for him its more about learning how to occupy players to create Space which Walker was very good at, but again he is half a season into the season so i doubt he even speaks the language particularly yet so needs time. Doherty looks far more effective going forward and has shown he can produce assists/goals but his lack of pace means he doesnt look as good as a Walker etc..

For me, we need a commanding CB, we let far too many goals in from set pieces and crosses and have done for a very long time and is far more important then a FB right now. We also could do with another dominating midfielder, like that chappie from Palace who ripped us a new one and completely dominated our midfield. A little more controversially a replacement for Son, who i absolutely love, but doesn't really offer much except for pace (is not creative and very head down player) which is fine in a 2 up front to some degree or with 3 in midfield but with how we currently setup we need someone who can pick a pass better, while still offering a goal threat in my opinion. Would still keep Sonny but need another option.

Walkers transfer is a conduit for all the frustration that fans have for frustration of seeing our players poached and our general poor transfer record.
I'm surprised at the fact that city haven't upgraded him, he isn't the most accomplished with the ball, which considering peps style and the way he is pendantic about it walker isn't the obvious choice.

Walkers transfer is a conduit for all the frustration that fans have for frustration of seeing our players poached and our general poor transfer record.
I'm surprised at the fact that city haven't upgraded him, he isn't the most accomplished with the ball, which considering peps style and the way he is pendantic about it walker isn't the obvious choice.

Yea i get that, although the frustration for me personally was more Modric then Walker. What we should have done if we kept that little wizard in our midfield with the likes of Dembele, Eriksen and Wanyama around him. Bale perhaps but less so.

Walker for me was more of a meh ok.

Yea i get that, although the frustration for me personally was more Modric then Walker. What we should have done if we kept that little wizard in our midfield with the likes of Dembele, Eriksen and Wanyama around him. Bale perhaps but less so.

Walker for me was more of a meh ok.

Walker and rose were good but not great fbs, they were young fit and suited our system under poch.
Walker seen an easy road to loads of money and trophies and took it.
Rose nearly bought into poch but couldn't quite believe in himself, wasn't alone in that squad.

Modric was and is too good for us, it's not the chicken in the badge that's the problem, its the chickens wearing it.

Walker and Rose matured and developed. Initially, both were as raw as sushi. By their mid-20s they'd become good footballers. I do think we overplay how good they were, and actually, we are a step forward now. Royal and Sess are probably better players at the same age - comprared to Walker and Rose. The question is, can they develop and mature?

Walker and Rose matured and developed. Initially, both were as raw as sushi. By their mid-20s they'd become good footballers. I do think we overplay how good they were, and actually, we are a step forward now. Royal and Sess are probably better players at the same age - comprared to Walker and Rose. The question is, can they develop and mature?
Big difference is, defensively peak Walker and Rose IMPOSED themselves on opponents way more effectively than it's possible to imagine Royal and Sess ever doing. However Sess undoubtedly has the potential to far exceed either as an attacking WB, not sure you could say the same about Royal though.

Big difference is, defensively peak Walker and Rose IMPOSED themselves on opponents way more effectively than it's possible to imagine Royal and Sess ever doing. However Sess undoubtedly has the potential to far exceed either as an attacking WB, not sure you could say the same about Royal though.

Walker made one of his trademark gaffs against us this season no? Didn't he pass us the ball deep in their half, allowing us to score the winner? He's had that in him all career. Royal is arguably better defensively. Taking age into account he is more complete than Walker was at the same age. Royal's first season in a new country playing a new role. The biggest issue he has - which is the same as Reggie - is he is expected to be an attacker, when he has a defenders mentality. Neither look relaxed and comfortable attacking. They need a pre-season playing this role at the least. Or they are simply better as fullbacks and not wingbacks.

I am close to giving up on Sessegnon because I think is hamstrings will stop him playing regularly.

Walker didn't actually have a defensive brain fart every game. He had the odd one (as pretty much every full back in the World does) but generally tended to be able to recover after them anyway by getting himself out of trouble with his pace.

Trippier's stats are probably somewhat padded out by him taking a lot of our set pieces.

Doherty is many people's favourite whipping boy as he performed poorly for us at right back but his RWB performances for us have actually been largely very good. He has given the team a good balance in the games he has played RWB for Conte and this position is now harder to upgrade than it appeared a few months ago.

Walker made one of his trademark gaffs against us this season no? Didn't he pass us the ball deep in their half, allowing us to score the winner? He's had that in him all career. Royal is arguably better defensively. Taking age into account he is more complete than Walker was at the same age. Royal's first season in a new country playing a new role. The biggest issue he has - which is the same as Reggie - is he is expected to be an attacker, when he has a defenders mentality. Neither look relaxed and comfortable attacking. They need a pre-season playing this role at the least. Or they are simply better as fullbacks and not wingbacks.
Agree but I was talking peak Walker. His last couple of seasons here when the brainfarts were fewer and his defensive play was awesome. Take the point about Royal still being young but he is also making his share of gaffes. Maybe he will eventually iron them out but still don't see him ever reaching Walker's peak level because he neither has the turn of pace nor the sheer physicality to dominate opponents in the same way.

Agree but I was talking peak Walker. His last couple of seasons here when the brainfarts were fewer and his defensive play was awesome. Take the point about Royal still being young but he is also making his share of gaffes. Maybe he will eventually iron them out but still don't see him ever reaching Walker's peak level because he neither has the turn of pace nor the sheer physicality to dominate opponents in the same way.

You do want a rapid player down the wing - quickly exploit and cover the space. Royal could be an excellent CB in a 3. He is still a competent player imo. Happy with the ball at his feet, and agressive when he needs to defend. As a defender I like him, as an attacker he is not there yet.

You do want a rapid player down the wing - quickly exploit and cover the space. Royal could be an excellent CB in a 3. He is still a competent player imo. Happy with the ball at his feet, and agressive when he needs to defend. As a defender I like him, as an attacker he is not there yet.

I never knew you thought that Royal could be excellent in a back three! Maybe crowbar that point in to another 40 posts to hammer it home.

You might be correct, I hope you are and that we find out. But you’re parodying yourself at this point, the evidence of your out there suggestion has been noted.

There’s also a strong chance Royal will look reasonable (but nonetheless average) as an RB once we go back to a manager who plays a back four.

Could have been mistaken for thinking this thread was about RBs, specifically Kyle Walker.

In terms of Reguilon, IF Madrid are going to activate his callback option and re-sign him for 40m, I think we could find someone better suited to Conte's style. I loved Reguilon when he first signed but he hasn't progressed enough IMO. Defensively he's average and attacking he's average/good. RM only have Marcelo and Mendy on their books at the moment, so they'll clearly be in the market for a LB this summer.

Back