• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saha

well??

• I knew it

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I didnt see it coming

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • I wanted Kaka or Leandro

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • bring back Ginger Pele

Votes: 13 20.6%

• Total voters
Allow me to help you out, 1957

- Gallas - 34 year old semi-crock final lap deal - 2-year plug stop. Essentialy we got 1 effective season out of him but will end up paying 2 in wages and 3 if he refuses to leave in the summer. Fantastic

- Nelsen - 34 year old pub player, shockorama signing of note. Couldn't get a game in the bottom worst team in the PL this season. Good enough for ol' Arry, hey

- Saha - 33 year-old Moyes reject (says something in itself), inury prone and utterly poor goal return since Fulham a decade ago

- Friedel - 40 year old plug-stop gap - worked out well so far but not one for the future

- Parker - 31 - short term cover for Sandro - worked out well - not a long-term propsect

- Pienaar - 30 year old squad cover unit

Firstly define long term. In football I'd say two seasons. So if we get two seasons out of Parker, for example, then that's fine by me.

Secondly we, still, have a very young team and there is no point in buying journeymen. I'd rather by a 33 year old fading star as back up, or as a short term solution, than a 21 year old journeyman.

Long term - minimum a 4 year deal - the default standard contract since the early 90s

Who are the youngsters in the team?

Brad - 41 next season

Modric - 27 next season

Kaboul - 27 next season

BAE - 28 next season

VdV - 30 next season

King - 32 next season

Parker -32 next season

Defoe - 30 next season

Walker, Lennon, and Bale are the only players we can consider young - under 25. Caulker?

Point is - all the signings listed above are short term deals without any clearly defined outlook/plan for the future or even attempt to replace positions which are soon to be in need of majour overhaul - goalkeeper, striker (x2), CB (x2), wide man cover, etc. All he does is look for soon-to-retire players from the bottom half of the table on a free and offers them a 2-year retirement deal. Why not instead scout a Hernandez or a Falcao or even a younger emerging English player?

Long term - minimum a 4 year deal - the default standard contract since the early 90s

Who are the youngsters in the team?

Brad - 41 next season

Modric - 27 next season

Kaboul - 27 next season

BAE - 28 next season

VdV - 30 next season

King - 32 next season

Parker -32 next season

Defoe - 30 next season

Walker, Lennon, and Bale are the only players we can consider young - under 25. Caulker?

Point is - all the signings listed above are short term deals without any clearly defined outlook/plan for the future or even attempt to replace positions which are soon to be in need of majour overhaul - goalkeeper, striker (x2), CB (x2), wide man cover, etc. All he does is look for soon-to-retire players from the bottom half of the table on a free and offers them a 2-year retirement deal. Why not instead scout a Hernandez or a Falcao or even a younger emerging English player?

Modric, Kaboul and Ekotto are going to be in their late 20's next season, quick!! Hit the panic button! In an ideal world you do want you keeper to be 33/34 and all your outfield players to be 28 to 30, but that never happens.

But I am loving your selective squad player picking there not to mention already judging next year BEFORE we've even bought anyone. Let's look at our strongest team this season.

Friedel
Walker
Dawson
King
Ekotto
Lennon
Modric
Parker
Bale
VDV
Ade

My GHod, you're right. It's awfully old and I would be shocked if at least half of those players didn't retire in the next season or two.

In an ideal world you do want you keeper to be 33/34 and all your outfield players to be 28 to 30, but that never happens.

No, not at all

Ade would most likely not be with us next season

King is most certainly not far from that day based on recent form and I couldn't see Friedel on top form beyond next season. Not to mention our 2nd keeper is 38 himself.

Bottom line is - we need key areas to be urgently addressed with long term prospects instead of buying older and bricker players for those positions - which relates to my earlier point of adopting a quick-fix 6 month strategy with our transfer dealings since we first qualified for the CL (for bizzare reasons unknown). You are still to demonstrate how that is untrue

I found some of our activity in the transfer market slightly strange over the past few years it must be said and thats not meant as a dig at LEvy or Redknapp, after all what do I know.

However when I look at the defence I see it a little like thus:

We spent three lots of 8 million on, Corluka, Bassong and Kaboul

Added to those fee's and wages we added the wages of, Gallas and Nelson

Surely out of the combined outlay in transfer fees and wages we could have turned those 5 into 2 (bearing in mind two are out on loan now anyway) and got ourselves a top top defender or maybe two?

And surely had we invested more into class than stop gaps we woudl have an exit strategy for King??

Was anyone concerned we had an "aging" squad in November/December? :-k

Yep. In fact I started a thread about it with the suggestion that Redknapp wasn't planning past this year as he expected to be the new England manager in the summer.

It's OK though, according to the responses in that thread we don't require loyalty or responsibilty from a manager, just a few wins in the first half of the season is enough.

Yep. In fact I started a thread about it with the suggestion that Redknapp wasn't planning past this year as he expected to be the new England manager in the summer.

It's OK though, according to the responses in that thread we don't require loyalty or responsibilty from a manager, just a few wins in the first half of the season is enough.

This isn't so much about our ageing players but the seemingly bizzare transfer ideology of replacing those with even older and by and large bricker ones on 6 months wheeler dealler bullshti deals. Cleary this is aimed at a short-fix with zero responsibility for 'tomorrow' since he'd most likely be at Wembley's offices and not giving a bulldog's paw about us ridding of those crocks

Last edited:
This isn't so much about our ageing players but the seemingly bizzare transfer ideology of replacing those with even older and by and large bricker ones on 6 months wheeler dealler bullshti deals.

Short-term thinking. Once the England job's in the bag, what does it matter where Spurs end up?

Short-term thinking. Once the England job's in the bag, what does it matter where Spurs end up?

What would be a long term vision then? Do people really STILL not realise that there is NO long term thinking in football? Or has Football Manager truly brainwashed everyone into thinking that you should start to replace players at 23 with the latest wonderkid and this actually happens in real life?

What would be a long term vision then? Do people really STILL not realise that there is NO long term thinking in football? Or has Football Manager truly brainwashed everyone into thinking that you should start to replace players at 23 with the latest wonderkid and this actually happens in real life?

For long term - look at how Utd have overhauled their strike-force, defence and keeper over the last 12 months.

No one is saying we should replace players at 23 - simply addressing key areas which need improvement. How on earth can you possibly ignore such glaring priorities?

For long term - look at how Utd have overhauled their strike-force, defence and keeper over the last 12 months.

No one is saying we should replace players at 23 - simply addressing key areas which need improvement. How on earth can you possibly ignore such glaring priorities?

And yet they bring back Paul Scholes? No doubt if Spurs had coaxed him out of retirement, we'd have been holding a witch hunt against the Manager for doing it.

Dont know what the last line is about.

As for the aging squad, I just wondered why these issues didnt raise their head before...(I must have missed your thread)

I dont agree that the squad is too old either.

And yet they bring back Paul Scholes? No doubt if Spurs had coaxed him out of retirement, we'd have been holding a witch hunt against the Manager for doing it.

That is the last piece which will be completed in the summer no doubt - Cleverley is the initial unit.

Stop pulling an ostrich move - these are realistic problems we need to address in the summer else we risk regressing on a large scale from a wonderful position of success we've managed to claw out over the last 3 years

That is the last piece which will be completed in the summer no doubt - Cleverley is the initial unit.

Stop pulling an ostrich move - these are realistic problems we need to address in the summer else we risk regressing on a large scale from a wonderful position of success we've managed to claw out over the last 3 years

And won't be at Utd in two years time (not good enough). I rest my case.

Back