• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Sessegnon

What sort of manager puts a weakish out of form player in that position yesterday against the team top of the league and one of the form players in the league?

Fwiw I thought he done ok 2nd half. Still not the answer though. Weak, unambitious, always looks like things are against him (as opposed to being full of himself).

Crossing is so poor. Never takes a man on 1 on 1. Look where Saka collected the ball for the first goal vs where where Sess picked it up twice before that. He just didn’t want to get in a situation with the defender so went for the ‘easy’ option of a cross both times and didn’t even kick the ball cleanly.
Had our best chance of the game that he was unlucky not to score from (excellent goalkeeping that we can only dream of from Lloris).
Created our second best chance of the game with a great ball into Son.
He can't really attempt to take his man on one on one because if he loses it we're in big trouble in the transition due to being outnumbered in midfield.

I have no doubt the talent is there and as i say every coach who has worked with him that i know would say the same. As i say he is still only 22 so i am hoping that his confidence ( which sometimes is the biggest problem with young players) can improve nad he goes on to show that ability he really has.

He's been at this level for too many years, there was a player, the kid we bought, but can anyone seriously say he's better now than he was for Fulham?

I just don't see him suddenly turning it around, he needs to go somewhere were there isn't scrutiny/expectation and see if he can rebuild.

If I was a betting man, he'll be a highlight reel player in 5 years from now at a mid/lower table PL club, once in a while a great play/game but never enough to get any of the top clubs to be interested.

He's been at this level for too many years, there was a player, the kid we bought, but can anyone seriously say he's better now than he was for Fulham?

I just don't see him suddenly turning it around, he needs to go somewhere were there isn't scrutiny/expectation and see if he can rebuild.

If I was a betting man, he'll be a highlight reel player in 5 years from now at a mid/lower table PL club, once in a while a great play/game but never enough to get any of the top clubs to be interested.

Difficult to try and judge you first point as the pressures, standards are a lot higher then at Fulham.

Fair point but as i said he is only 22 and those who are judging him as not being good enough are jumping the gun a bit (imo)

As for your third point you could be right only time will tell.

Wasn't good enough in critical moments. Sure, did some things OK but didn't get the basics right. I feel like I keep saying this in post-match musings about him, he's simply not performing at the required level even against weaker opposition.

I honestly think Destiny is better than Ryan right now (but as this season is kind of turning into a turd sandwich, might as well keep Destiny far away from this mess and have him finish out his loan).

Had our best chance of the game that he was unlucky not to score from (excellent goalkeeping that we can only dream of from Lloris).
He can't really attempt to take his man on one on one because if he loses it we're in big trouble in the transition due to being outnumbered in midfield.
I think that’s where the fear comes in
He runs too far forward at nil nil and he has NO cover, conte kills him
Every run he makes until we are behind is half of what it could be
When we were behind, he was running past midfield and getting onto things. That’s a tactical call IMO

I think that’s where the fear comes in
He runs too far forward at nil nil and he has NO cover, conte kills him
Every run he makes until we are behind is half of what it could be
When we were behind, he was running past midfield and getting onto things. That’s a tactical call IMO

His fear was pre-Conte though, the shirt always has seemed to big for him, he's never been that fearless kid that played at Fulham.

I think he lacks confidence in his body, I very rarely see him use his acceleration (he often gets outpaced on recovery runs), either he's worried about injury or the injuries have permanently affected him.

His fear was pre-Conte though, the shirt always has seemed to big for him, he's never been that fearless kid that played at Fulham.

I think he lacks confidence in his body, I very rarely see him use his acceleration (he often gets outpaced on recovery runs), either he's worried about injury or the injuries have permanently affected him.
Wasn’t fearful last season when he won the shirt

He was hung out to dry defensively yesterday by Son and (to a lesser extent) Lenglet. Still didn't really do particularly badly against Saka. The goal is a routine stop for a goal keeper and if Lloris makes that stop then everbody is saying that Sessegnon did the right thing in showing him to the line where there was little danger. If Son converts the good chance that Sessegnon creates then he's got an assist and we're 1-1 in the game. If Ramsdale doesn't make that brilliant save from Sessegnon we're back in the game at 2-1 with Arsenal likely panicking.

How, in comparison is Doherty escaping criticism for yesterday's performance despite creating zero chances and getting in behind zero times?

He was hung out to dry defensively yesterday by Son and (to a lesser extent) Lenglet. Still didn't really do particularly badly against Saka. The goal is a routine stop for a goal keeper and if Lloris makes that stop then everbody is saying that Sessegnon did the right thing in showing him to the line where there was little danger. If Son converts the good chance that Sessegnon creates then he's got an assist and we're 1-1 in the game. If Ramsdale doesn't make that brilliant save from Sessegnon we're back in the game at 2-1 with Arsenal likely panicking.

How, in comparison is Doherty escaping criticism for yesterday's performance despite creating zero chances and getting in behind zero times?

The problem with Sess for the first goal that would have been a problem regardless of whether or not Hugo saved it was that he got caught ball-watching and gave Saka acres of space. Could see it happening in real time...really poor defending. Generally, he wasn't helped by his team mates, granted, he was facing an overload on a few occasions. But when he did go 1 v 1 on Saka, while he won a few challenges, on many occasions he was poor.

Doherty, I thought, had a good game particularly defensively. Given that we got absolutely murdered in the first half, it was hard to judge his contribution at the other end.

What has happened to this kid, someone tell me, please.

At the age of 18 he was voted the best player in the Championship, now let me stress, the best player, not best young player, so what the heck has gone wrong. He plays with no confidence, his crossing is poor, instead of beating the full back he would now rather stop, check and then play the ball backwards. I had so much hope for this him.

I fear a move might be best for both him and us, and I say that with a heavy heart.

At the age of 18 he was voted the best player in the Championship, now let me stress, the best player, not best young player, so what the heck has gone wrong. He plays with no confidence, his crossing is poor, instead of beating the full back he would now rather stop, check and then play the ball backwards. I had so much hope for this him.

I fear a move might be best for both him and us, and I say that with a heavy heart.

stopping check and playing the ball backwards I am almost certain is a Conte instruction, royal does it as well. It has to be by design.

4 years of dinosaur coaches who don't do player development, at the time he needed it most.

No ball on for him there.... We're on a break and yet Arsenal have 6 defensive players to our 3 attacking players. Kane can be excused seeing as he started the break but where is Kulu and where is Doherty? Son just hides himself between Arsenal's two CBs. A confident player would probably hold onto the ball and hope something develops, though the speed at which Arsenal were getting back compared to the speed at which we were committing players to the attack suggests to me that nothing was likely to develop.

Last edited:
stopping check and playing the ball backwards I am almost certain is a Conte instruction, royal does it as well. It has to be by design.
Yep I think that’s what it is.

Spence in previous sub appearances used to look take his man on. Against Portsmouth he stops and passes it sideways or backwards. We then see reports saying Conte was delighted with Spence for following instructions.

I think there are only very specific moments where Conte wants you to take a man on

Sounds like you think he’s decent. Fair play.

Sounds like you think he’s decent. Fair play.
I think people pick on certain players for bad performances without necessarily looking into the reasons why that player looked poor. Used to happen with Danny Rose as well when Chadli constantly gave him 2 people to defend against.

Despite Sessegnon being hung out to dry defensively yesterday, our two best chances of the game still heavily involved him, one a key pass from him, the other a shot on goal from him. He did everything right for both of those chances yet both of those moments seem to have been ignored by many. If we'd also seen our RWB getting into similar attacking positions yesterday then we may have got something out of the game.

Back