• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Sessegnon

Positioning, off the ball runs, touch, vision. His execution has let him down a little with some of his crossing but he has also delivered a number of good crosses and key passes. I think the main thing lacking from his game is arrogance and nastiness. He needs to believe that he belongs in this group and also become more cynical in his play (i.e. just rugby tackling Almiron once he was wrong side and he was running reasonably centrally at our LCB close the edge of our box).
It’s belief and conviction

Interesting in that all three are considered to be good on the ball, in fact it is probably the main attribute of each of those three.

In Kante, Conte had an absolutely outstanding metronome/pace-regulator/distributor/competitor. Without him, we would’ve won the league that season IMO.

Positioning, off the ball runs, touch, vision. His execution has let him down a little with some of his crossing but he has also delivered a number of good crosses and key passes. I think the main thing lacking from his game is arrogance and nastiness. He needs to believe that he belongs in this group and also become more cynical in his play (i.e. just rugby tackling Almiron once he was wrong side and he was running reasonably centrally at our LCB close the edge of our box).

It is why I just don’t think he will establish as an elite WB. That character set needs to be in there by now. The inability to deduce that a sacrificial yellow on Almiron was the option in that moment was (as you said) a sterling example.

He used it at Chelsea before they took a pasting against the goons then switched to a back three as Bedford said. He clearly felt they needed more protection and I imagine he feels the same with our collection of CB’s. It means we lose a body in midfield or elsewhere in the pitch. Couldn’t tell you what system he used at Inter to be fair. Probably fair to say he’s more likely to switch to a back four if he had better CB’s. It also means we have to use wasters like Sanchez when we play a back three.

He has largely played with 3 at the back everywhere. Mostly because he believes in wing-backs. He wants his three at the back to be able to play out/pass well from the back.In that sense , he has less than elite with regards to Davies and Dier, however I personally think Dier is consistently short-changed around here with regards to being able to distribute cleanly and sometimes very well with regards to a midfield-bypassing through ball over the top. He is not Toby in his prime; few were or are.

Probably the oddest thing right now is that he plays 3-5-2 by default/if injuries and fitness force, yet lacks the CM which would really make it work (as he used often at Inter). I suspect January will see some significant incomings. If it doesn’t, I further suspect there will be problems.

Partly at fault for the second goal, he can’t keep having the ball taken off of him in that part of the pitch.

Took his goal brilliantly, perfectly timed run too.

They had Luiz playing the ball out and 2 stoppers
It was mainly Dave, Luiz, Cahill
All can play a bit

i think there's bit more to that. the Chelsea winning back three as amazing to watch as our jan and toby.

this is worth a read, about how conte alternated between 343 v 3421 and how the defence does more than defend.

https://themastermindsite.com/2019/...2016-17-premier-league-title-playing-3-4-2-1/

LUIZ AS THE LIBERO

In Italian, the word ‘libero’ means ‘free.’ Any player dubbed a libero in football therefore is usually a sweeper, free of man-marking duties.

Under Antonio Conte, David Luiz took up exactly that role, free of man-marking duties. As a result, the Brazilian spent all of his time doing what makes him such an effective footballer.

The crazy-haired defender was able to get on the ball as much as he wanted, create chances from deep and with Chelsea spending large amounts of time in possession in wide areas, David Luiz was only called into action to defend a few times per game.

This isn’t to say that David Luiz is a bad defender. But it’s very clear that he at least makes very rash decisions and that playing centre back in a two-man defense does not always play to his strengths.

But in the back-three system, Luiz was alongside two renowned defenders – Cesar Azpilicueta who is impeccable in 1v1 situations and former England captain Gary Cahill who has very sound positional awareness.

This combination of players worked on every level and got the best out of David Luiz in possession of the ball, allowing him to spray passes all over the field and create from deep. It was also essential in how Chelsea played out from the back and in the end, why they ultimately ended up winning the title.

Looked a completely different player when he jinked and whipped that cross in for Kane post goal. Confidence is too brittle though, can something like that be permanently fixed?
Only he will know that
Let's hope so
Does remind me of how Bale was then the switch was flicked with him and look what he become

He looked better with the defensive responsibilities removed, partly due to Bournemouth’s changes and partly due to Dier playing high behind him.

If we can find a forward role for him he deserves a chance, but he’s a terrible defender, and that’s really important at WB.

Looked a completely different player when he jinked and whipped that cross in for Kane post goal. Confidence is too brittle though, can something like that be permanently fixed?

Yes it can and i really believe that is what is holding him back from becoming a very good player for us, i know he seems to have been around for ages but he is still only 22. Now he has improved this recently and if he can push through with that he will be able to show what a good player he can be. He is a attacking player who has all the abilites to make a top player for us. When you hear him speak he sounds like a shy type which does not help but with Conte working with him he could/should improve.

Yes it can and i really believe that is what is holding him back from becoming a very good player for us, i know he seems to have been around for ages but he is still only 22. Now he has improved this recently and if he can push through with that he will be able to show what a good player he can be. He is an attacking player who has all the abilites to make a top player for us. When you hear him speak he sounds like a shy type which does not help but with Conte working with him he could/should improve.
Confidence with bravery

Back