• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Sessegnon

Very good physical attributes, though without truly elite pace. Good on the ball in several ways, but again without any one standout attribute like dribbling or crossing that would make him stand out more. Good defensively and seems a fairly intelligent player, awareness, vision. But again, not standout at this level.

I think his biggest strength is just that. Being good at a lot of things, well rounded player without any standout weaknesses.

For me players like that can get a bit lost. They don't have that one standout thing that they can just keep doing and succeed at no matter what. Can become unsure of their role, perhaps struggle with confidence as they're not consistently better than everyone at one or two specific things. Can't have a mediocre game, then get the ball in one right situation and just deliver on their key skill set with a fairly high frequency.

At the same time players like that can become really good and important players. Quantity of attributes having a quality of it's own in a way. If they succeed they'll usually have a high floor to their performances, be able to do well in a wide range of game states as they're not reliant on getting in the right situation to use their standout ability. But most of the time I think they fall a bit short of the truly best in the business players, to get there you need those standout attributes.

Not sure if Sessegnon will be able to get there on any single attribute given time. Time will tell. I think he can become a very good and very important player without it. Confidence, belief, determination seems to be part of the issue, but seems to be heading in the right direction.

Will probably need time, and not just months. I get the feeling he's not going to suddenly explode like Bale once did, like Kane did, like Son did, like Alli did. If he truly succeeds (high level) I'm guessing it will be more gradually, over a couple of years. Perhaps one or two attributes developing, but mostly finding his role, finding ways to use his strengths to the greatest effect in a wide range of situations.
Good post.
Seemed like his standout ability was goalscoring, back at Fulham.
Now his big weakness is his own confidence.
He gets 99% of the way to scoring, then "tries hard" but does not "kill" things.

The competition for a place next season is going to be immense with Peresic still having a year left and Udogie coming (who looks absolutely brick hot). Sess is going really have to rise to the competition to keep his head above water, which is a great thing to have.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

May be. Then again it may be that Udogie (who I've read is also rather unpolished) takes time to settle in to a new league and new club. It may also be that Perisic another year older is less of a force.

Either way I agree that Sessegnon will have to keep making steps in the right direction. He's still a young player, particularly in the world of Conte. Improvement, consistency, keep looking like he belongs and Conte will keep trusting him. Go on a run where he looks out of place that trust may be hard to earn back.

Good post.
Seemed like his standout ability was goalscoring, back at Fulham.
Now his big weakness is his own confidence.
He gets 99% of the way to scoring, then "tries hard" but does not "kill" things.

Cheers.

Time will tell. Always that step up from Championship to PL, can be difficult to get those goals. Still think there could be a lot more coming from him.

As you say confidence. Needs to feel like he absolutely belongs at this level, in the starting lineup and that he will make a difference.

Cheers.

Time will tell. Always that step up from Championship to PL, can be difficult to get those goals. Still think there could be a lot more coming from him.

As you say confidence. Needs to feel like he absolutely belongs at this level, in the starting lineup and that he will make a difference.
Agreed.
Another of those moments tonight when he arrived in the box and was 0.00000001 seconds behind the defender, so he stuck out a leg and got good contact but... the keeper pulled off some incredible save from 2 yards and the ball just won't go in.
Hopefully one day Sessegnon will have the anger/maturity/confidence to get into the box 0.000000001 seconds in front of the defender and will tear everyone's face off to ensure he gets a good contact on the ball.

Thought he was bloody brilliant tonight
Won all his battles and could have, and should have had a goal
Looks like he's kept his spirit and attitude up, I think he should have done better for the goal (put it in the usual place for the keeper to save) but he was aggressive and imposing and that was good to see.

Thought he was again good but for me, he has to finish that chance, show the extra inch of desire to get there, looked like he just held back knowing the challenge was coming? Easy for me to say of course. If he continues to grow then I think he can, indeed, cement the position before Udogie challenges himn.

It was his best game so far for us, playing with more confidence ( which seemed to be a weakness when he first came here) seems like Conte has made him relise what a very good player he can be

I have been his biggest fan for years but he really needs to start improving.

Disappointed in him because has all the talent in the world.

I just can't see what he excels at. Doesn't have amazing pace, doesn't have any real quality to beat an opponent, crossing seems a bit hit and hope, finishing ain't great. Not that great in the air..

On the flip side he has no 'huge' weaknesses and seems solid enough in all areas. He's just a bit meh for me. I was hoping for more but he's had a long time now and will be one of the next replaced unless he finds another level soon

I just can't see what he excels at. Doesn't have amazing pace, doesn't have any real quality to beat an opponent, crossing seems a bit hit and hope, finishing ain't great. Not that great in the air..

On the flip side he has no 'huge' weaknesses and seems solid enough in all areas. He's just a bit meh for me. I was hoping for more but he's had a long time now and will be one of the next replaced unless he finds another level soon
He needs a proper wing back opposite him to stretch play. You can’t have one attacking and the other doing nothing as it still means we are short in attack
The shot he had today was almost great. His run though was the wrong angle… he needed to run towards the penalty spot, not straight

To be honest, even though I don't particularly rate him right now, He was still light years better than Royal on the other side! Jesus he was terrible today. Couldnt pass, fouling people all over the place... and don't get me started on how Royal falls over screaming for a free kick everytime he enters the opposition half. If he could use his strength and tried to ride a tackle once in a while he'd actually be quite productive!

Sessegnon has promise, but for me that it is all it is...enough glimpses of quality for people to think he might make it, and then looks like a championship player again. Top 4 quality? He's miles off it at the moment IMO...but then Perisic seems to have gone backwards...

Sessegnon has promise, but for me that it is all it is...enough glimpses of quality for people to think he might make it, and then looks like a championship player again. Top 4 quality? He's miles off it at the moment IMO...but then Perisic seems to have gone backwards...
He is so slow he does seem to be running backwards some times.

Started well, got into some good positions but his final ball often let him down. Then become the focus of Dier and Lloris's brainfarts (they were often lofting crazily high balls out to him as though they thought he had an Inspector Gadget-like neck) and things went down for him thereafter on the whole.

Still, he does bring good pace on that side most of the time. His final ball was woeful today though

He needs a proper wing back opposite him to stretch play. You can’t have one attacking and the other doing nothing as it still means we are short in attack
The shot he had today was almost great. His run though was the wrong angle… he needed to run towards the penalty spot, not straight

So Royal is so bad, that he's also the reason the player on the pitch furthest away from him is playing brick, and has played brick, even when Royal wasn't in the squad?

I reckon Royal killed JFK too.

;)

So Royal is so bad, that he's also the reason the player on the pitch furthest away from him is playing brick, and has played brick, even when Royal wasn't in the squad?

I reckon Royal killed JFK too.

;)
Maybe it’s just Royal who needs a proper WB opposite him to stretch the play and he will be amazing:D

Seriously though, I get Sess hasn’t really progressed as much as hoped so far this season(but to be fair who has?) but I think Perisic is getting away with a lot of the criticism here. For the wages he is on and reputation he has come with, he has been far more of a let down for me. Maybe he’s just not suited as a WB in the PL and should try him further up the pitch….

Back