• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rule changes in football

it's all play though, there's 22 men (or women) out there, only one can have the ball at any one time

the 21 without the ball define what happens next
When you're waiting on a sub, or for Brazil's physio to catch up with a still-rolling Neymar to apply the magic sponge, the game isn't in play. The game can't be affected in that time, but the time comes off the clock, and these days those are pricey minutes if you're sat in the stands.

No Law changes are neccessary all we need are referees who apply them correctly, players who abide by them and F.A.s that support the referees for applying them when they do so.

But unfortunately I can't see any of those three happening.
True on all counts, but won't happen.

When you're waiting on a sub, or for Brazil's physio to catch up with a still-rolling Neymar to apply the magic sponge, the game isn't in play. The game can't be affected in that time, but the time comes off the clock, and these days those are pricey minutes if you're sat in the stands.

Thats true, but should the cost to spectators be relevant? Football is sandboxed by rules, anything that takes place in that sandbox is, by definition, football. I understand why people find these tactics distasteful but they are used in an attempt to get a favourable result, which is the point of football. I see them as an evolution rather a subversion, the ref's have the power to negate all these already, all they have to do is use them.

I think the argument that players swear is disingenuous. As someone stated, cards can be given to change behaviour. There would just be an awkward transition period. The officials who argue this are generally against change and often the same ones who are against technology because football should be played the same way in parks as the world cup. You see similar conservatism when they try and clamp down on foul play in a tournament. After a few games with "too many" cards they reverse the ruling rather than having the courage to let the transition period run.

My favourite instance of a referee's comments being broadcast came in a rugby game with George Gregan. He was being even more talkative than usual and the referee said something like "Shut up, George. I'll referee this game.

The World cup has got me thinking... when the inevitable stalemates come and a knock out match reaches penalties, To make teams not be afraid to use their subs in extra time, any players that have taken any part in the match, even if they have been subbed off, will still be eligible to take a penalty in the shoot out.

Also would like to see an additional substitution added if a game goes to extra time.

I think that UEFA should consider merging the group stages of the Champions League and Europa League. You could have groups of six with the top two going into the Champions League, the second two into the Europa and the bottom two knocked out. I think that it would make the group stages a lot more interesting but I doubt that many of the bigger clubs would be in favour.

what about putting all 8 teams that reach the quater finals of the europa league in to one of the earliest stages of the following seasons champions league qualifiers?

the calibre of team that reaches the quaters of the europa league is usually quite high. often they are teams like us: a top 20 european team, that didnt make the ucl because of the standard of their domestic league ie. valencia. so i have no doubt that this rule change would enhance the sporting quality as well as the marketability of the ucl. the downside is that the ucl would become less representative of the nations/leagues that exist throughout europe.

however, these smaller european teams will still get the chance to qualify (i think this is important). perhaps we could also not seed these europa league quater final teams in the ucl qualifiers too. and if 8 is too much, maybe just the 4 semi-finalists.

this probably sounds a bit wself-serving to football fans who dont support a team like ours, but i feel that the ucl should be first and foremost about quality, and a rule change like this would no doubt enhance the quality of the competition.

Back