• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

On the radio last night they were talking about Alli and how we signed him as a holder but Poch quickly converted him to an attacking player. They were massively complimentary about that change and how Poch managed it

Very feasible that Poch could do something with Barkley

Possibly but I think that it is a mistake for fans advocating signing a player because we think that they can be turned into something else. He could also be one of those attacking players who drops back as they get older.

Did we sign Alli as a holder though? He had a very good goal scoring record for MK, at "worst" I think you could describe him as a box to box player when we signed him.

I think they may have been looking for an angle for the radio show?

Well he was a deeper player at MK 100% (I used to watch them) but yeah box to box is fair

It was more about Poch coaching him and guiding him into a different role

Did we sign Alli as a holder though? He had a very good goal scoring record for MK, at "worst" I think you could describe him as a box to box player when we signed him.

I think they may have been looking for an angle for the radio show?

I think he maybe just played as a classic 8 in a 4-4-2 at MK Dons, so coming into our 4-2-3-1 just gave him a bit more licence to get up close to the CF.

But he is there to be creative and people said Eriksen (not Erisken) couldn't do defensive work only last season... yet he is key to instigating the press by making the first move. He learnt that from Poch

Barkleys decision making needs to improve but look at the asissts he has supplying some crap players

And winks and Onomah are centre midfielders. Winks is IMO dembeles replacement

I think you will find it was none other than GB that was highly critical of Eriksen as recently as the early part of last season.!

I think you will find it was none other than GB that was highly critical of Eriksen as recently as the early part of last season.!

When he was underperforming - yes. Eriksen is very inconsistent, generally in the first half of seasons. He's been crap in 2 of our 3 games this season so far too. You've got to be objective and assess on performance, not reputation.

It was written loads on here in 2009. He played once there at England youth level, a tabloid commented on this, and suddenly (in connection with us signing the physically smaller RB Naughton at the same time) it was received wisdom that Walker would be a future CB.

I agree Barkley's a 100% attacking player, but just like you can't teach Sissoko to control a ball at 28, I don't think you can teach Barkley to tackle, have positioning sense and intelligent decision-making at 23. It also seems pretty pointless when we already have Winks who can do all that, and Onomah coming too - both of whom have far higher ceilings.

First (and possibly only) sensible thing you have said. I believe he would be Eriksen's principal understudy as playmaker in chief. I don't agree with you that this is the role Lamela plays. He has always been more effective coming from a wider position while Barkley plays much more centrally. I think that Barkley offers a higher ceiling than Lamela - especially as there must be some considerable doubt as to whether (or even if) he will return to his best form and crucially remain injury free for a considerable period. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if we have seen the last of Lamela at Spurs.

When he was underperforming - yes. Eriksen is very inconsistent, generally in the first half of seasons. He's been crap in 2 of our 3 games this season so far too. You've got to be objective and assess on performance, not reputation.

Which is precisely why we need another playmaker - to challenge Eriksen and ensure he keeps up his level of performance. There is no-one that currently does this.

No, your criticism of him went much further than saying he was inconsistent. Iirc you wanted us to sell him.

Finally, someone on there who can see the fact Eriksen is inconsistant and starts poorly; i got well and truly battered in the Eriksen thread for saying the same.

First (and possibly only) sensible thing you have said. I believe he would be Eriksen's principal understudy as playmaker in chief. I don't agree with you that this is the role Lamela plays. He has always been more effective coming from a wider position while Barkley plays much more centrally. I think that Barkley offers a higher ceiling than Lamela - especially as there must be some considerable doubt as to whether (or even if) he will return to his best form and crucially remain injury free for a considerable period. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if we have seen the last of Lamela at Spurs.

It's about function in that AM, not whether they are right, left or central.

We have:

Physical - Alli and Sissoko
Playmaker - Eriksen and Lamela
Wing forward - Son and GKN

All I'm saying is that Barkley would replace Sissoko, rather than Lamela (with potentially Sancho replacing GKN too)

Finally, someone on there who can see the fact Eriksen is inconsistant and starts poorly; i got well and truly battered in the Eriksen thread for saying the same.

I'm convinced its to do with his summer hair treatment programme. It's like it takes 2-3 months for the anaesthetics to properly wear off or something.

I actually dont think that comparison does him any harm at all.

If his stats are comparable now, imagine what they could be like if he actually improved under a manager that proactively trains players!

I actually dont think that comparison does him any harm at all.

If his stats are comparable now, imagine what they could be like if he actually improved under a manager that proactively trains players!

I agree and wasn't trying to prove a position. I am largely agnostic on Barkley but think that he could be a useful addition at the right price.

I am still not convinced by the idea of him as cover for Eriksen but he could be a useful player to bring on when we are chasing a game or against sides that sit deep.

I agree and wasn't trying to prove a position. I am largely agnostic on Barkley but think that he could be a useful addition at the right price.

I am still not convinced by the idea of him as cover for Eriksen but he could be a useful player to bring on when we are chasing a game or against sides that sit deep.

Not saying you were. Im more pro than anti, but am not that invested in it really.

Its the nature of forums that debates end up somewhat polarised and then people view posters in a very binary pro/anti way. Obviously its much more of a spectrum.

I do think there is a good player in there, and that Pochettino is exactly the sort of manager the player needs, so am very interested from that perspective. However, if it didnt happen I certainly wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

I also find it interesting that he is obviously - to me - a potential Demebele replacement and yet there is so much opposition to the idea, so the debate is one Im enjoying.

I also find it interesting that he is obviously - to me - a potential Demebele replacement and yet there is so much opposition to the idea, so the debate is one Im enjoying.

I think that he could be but we should probably focus on the player he is now. I would expect him to be behind Winks in the pecking order for a CM place. With Sanchez here, we also have the option of playing Wanyama alongside Dier.

Back