• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

Strangely the Everton fans I know who go thiught he was brilliant and were combating hi stats with allis for half of last season.... now he wants to leave they think siggurdson is better and they dont have him yet
All I've heard from Everton fans (admittedly not all from this season) is that he's the world's most frustrating player. That he has the ability to be great but almost never is.

Interesting how some people claim he does not have a brain but last season he managed to create more chances than any other English player in the league
Do you know who else creates a lot of chances? The Stoke goalkeeper.

Not all chances are good ones or the right ones. As @Jordinho mentioned too - being the best Englishman is a long way from being a compliment.

Pre--Poch, many on here said the same about Dembele.
Which is why we got him on the cheap - nobody was sure if he could ever realise that potential and the price reflected it.

Dembele was only £15m despite his huge potential because the potential was an unkown. In the same way, £20-25m for Barkley is a good price. Any more is just taking too much risk.

Which is why we got him on the cheap - nobody was sure if he could ever realise that potential and the price reflected it.

Dembele was only £15m despite his huge potential because the potential was an unkown. In the same way, £20-25m for Barkley is a good price. Any more is just taking too much risk.

Dembele was only £15m because that was the value of the release clause in his contract. I don't know how long he'd had that contract with Fulham by the time we activated the clause. Without it, I am not sure sure Fulham would have accepted £15 million, especially as Man Utd had a more than casual interest but we moved first.

Agree.

I also think ambition comes in many forms, one measure of which is certainly signing players.

But whether we sign anyone or not this summer (I think we will, however) I really don't think our (mid to long) term ambition can be questioned. Especially, if as mentioned above, it's Poch being conservative in the market, not Levy.

Currently we're the most ambitious club in the league.

My thoughts as well, i am amazed about HOW IN HELL any so called fan can accuse our club/Levy of having no ambition when you see how much progress this club has made ( both on and off the pitch) over the last decade. Bearing in mind we have had to do so along side the two finacely doped clubs and Utd who are and have been for years one of the riches clubs in the world.

I really despair of some fans in todays game.

Dembele was only £15m because that was the value of the release clause in his contract. I don't know how long he'd had that contract with Fulham by the time we activated the clause. Without it, I am not sure sure Fulham would have accepted £15 million, especially as Man Utd had a more than casual interest but we moved first.
A release clause only props up the bottom sale price. The player will still be sold to the highest bidder, not the team that activates the clause first.

The top end of a price is what the market is willing to pay, and that was £15M. Had Dembele already realised his potential then that value would probably have been £30-40m

A release clause only props up the bottom sale price. The player will still be sold to the highest bidder, not the team that activates the clause first.

The top end of a price is what the market is willing to pay, and that was £15M. Had Dembele already realised his potential then that value would probably have been £30-40m
Take another look at that - a release clause is not a minimum its a maximum. If anyone bids £15M Fulham have to accept everyone of them- what the clubs then compete on to win the player would be the deal they offer the player.

If we offer Fulham £15M they have to accept and we offer a deal to the player.
If Man U offer Fulham £40M they have to accept and they offer the deal to the player

What advantage in offering £40

Maybe this is a different type of release clause that you are describing where the seller can somehow still refuse bids even if they meet the specified figure.

Take another look at that - a release clause is not a minimum its a maximum. If anyone bids £15M Fulham have to accept everyone of them- what the clubs then compete on to win the player would be the deal they offer the player.

If we offer Fulham £15M they have to accept and we offer a deal to the player.
If Man U offer Fulham £40M they have to accept and they offer the deal to the player

What advantage in offering £40
I don't believe release clauses force a club to accept any bid over, just that the club has to sell if there's a bid over that value. Why would any club sign a clause that caps their potential revenue when one as I've described is just as good for the player but also allows the club to maximise the value of the sale?

A player could force a team's hand by refusing to move to the highest bidder but in all likelihood any bidding war over the release clause would be the same as any other.

I don't believe release clauses force a club to accept any bid over, just that the club has to sell if there's a bid over that value. Why would any club sign a clause that caps their potential revenue when one as I've described is just as good for the player but also allows the club to maximise the value of the sale?
You believe incorrectly they have to accept all.

The club would sign the deal as they want the player to sign a new contract and the player would not sign one otherwise, the alternate would be for them to run down their contract and leave on a free. There are two sides to a negotiation and one side may have more leverage, in this case it was the player.

You believe incorrectly they have to accept all.

The club would sign the deal as they want the player to sign a new contract and the player would not sign one otherwise, the alternate would be for them to run down their contract and leave on a free. There are two sides to a negotiation and one side may have more leverage, in this case it was the player.
So no player has ever been sold for more than the value of their release clause? Even with more than one club after them?

I'm sure that's not the case. I'm fairly sure I remember a club doubling a release clause because I remember wondering why the hell anyone would do that.

So no player has ever been sold for more than the value of their release clause? Even with more than one club after them?

I'm sure that's not the case. I'm fairly sure I remember a club doubling a release clause because I remember wondering why the hell anyone would do that.
the club are doubling the maximum fee they would receive, if he already has a clause in the club would receive double if activated while the players signs the contract for more wages and signing bonus. In the UK the player insists on a release fee not the club.

*Apparently David Moyes let a release clause lapse on Fellani and paid more for him the following week - at the time this was thought of as mad.

£15m when we signed Dembele is about £40m - £50m today. Transfer fee inflation is nuts - its probably >50% in England in the last 12 months alone

£15m when we signed Dembele is about £40m - £50m today. Transfer fee inflation is nuts - its probably >50% in England in the last 12 months alone
I think if you take away the outliers then it's not as silly as the headline figure make it seem.

Compared to last season I would say most fees on this list are 30%-40% higher than they would have been - this is over half the transfers this year (not including Frees and loans)

Player From To Price
Romelu Lukaku Everton Manchester United 84.7
Alvaro Morata Real Madrid Chelsea 65.5
Alexandre Lacazette Olympique Lyon Arsenal 60
Kyle Walker Tottenham Emirates Marketing Project 51
Benjamin Mendy AS Monaco Emirates Marketing Project 50
Bernardo Silva AS Monaco Emirates Marketing Project 50
Nemanja Matic Chelsea Manchester United 44.7
Mohamed Salah Roma Liverpool 42
Tiemoue Bakayoko AS Monaco Chelsea 40
Ederson Benfica Emirates Marketing Project 40
Antonio Rudiger AS Roma Chelsea 35