• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rodrigo Bentancur

Great composure, great skill and a great game IMO.

Some players don't get caught on the ball because they just get rid of it ASAP, which then comes back at us

Bentancur gets caught on the ball because he is waiting for the right movement, the right pass that means we MIGHT retain the ball for 10 seconds or even score a goal
Honestly… I’d agree if it was once or twice
I counted 5 times myself
That was a player taking too long

He made a few mistakes this evening but was also very good in parts . Mixed bag . Needs to adjust Italy is far slower and City are very quick in closing and pressing . He’ll learn. Also worked hard and organised well.

He made a few mistakes this evening but was also very good in parts . Mixed bag . Needs to adjust Italy is far slower and City are very quick in closing and pressing . He’ll learn. Also worked hard and organised well.

The lad is a player but that was his worst game for us. Probably for the reasons you outline. City are an anomaly and he's getting up to speed. To be fair, he did do some very good things too.

I reckon he'll be very good for us but I was a little disappointed in him today.

The lad is a player but that was his worst game for us. Probably for the reasons you outline. City are an anomaly and he's getting up to speed. To be fair, he did do some very good things too.

I reckon he'll be very good for us but I was a little disappointed in him today.

That is pretty fair.

City and Liverpool just hunt the ball differently to the rest of the league. City are relentless at it.
Just needs to adjust to fact you don’t get as much time on the ball .

He adds some much needed class to midfield. No he's not perfect. But I'd much prefer a player who will try stuff, and is confident on the ball, who loses it now and again, to a sideways and backward pass merchant. He has deftness, touch, passing ability. He might get caught on the ball now and again.

It wasn’t his best game for us but he’s taken to the Premier league like a duck to water. Against City at Etihad we have to cut him some slack for being caught on the ball a few times. They press better than almost anyone and central midfield is hectic at best.

It will take time to get used to the pace of the prem.

This for sure, he just needs to pick up the pace of the Prem and he has already shown that once he has done so he will be a good player. He made mistakes but i put that down to the difference between the English game and what he has been used too.

Honestly… I’d agree if it was once or twice
I counted 5 times myself
That was a player taking too long

100%/ the first time I saw in the City game came immediately after he’d made a great job of winning the ball back. Then as you say, got caught too many times to mention. But tbf he needs time to adjust to the pace of the game in the PL which is at another level. Not concerned about him and he looks very useful overall but yesterday gave me a few jitters.

People talk about winks technical ability but look at how Bentancur marks space and combines with teammates to defend, transition and attack.

I think our lineup and style of play is worth remembering when talking about those losses of possession.

Essentially a 5-4-1, Hojbjerg and Bentancur mixing it up with who was the most advanced and who were deeper. Often when he was on the ball we had our three centre backs, at least one of the wing backs and often Hojbjerg behind him.

In a different system his role when on the ball would be more that of a #10 than a CM. I think we want him to take risks, risk losing the ball to potentially break a line of their pressure. As our balance when we lose it isn't that bad.

Is he does the same against Burnley for example, in situations with both wing backs high, our centre backs spread out and Hojbjerg/other CM ahead of him it would be a lot worse.

Yeah, probably one or two situations where he should have tried a quick pass or booted it. But he wasn't the only one giving the ball away like that.

If playing with that risk was a tactical choice I think his style of play was spot on.

For every time he lost the ball there's a break like the one for Kane's disallowed goal. A situation where if he lost it and they scored the consensus would have been "get rid of it". But really we want him to play with that risk, lose the ball quite a bit.

People talk about winks technical ability but look at how Bentancur marks space and combines with teammates to defend, transition and attack.

Not just Winks. So far this season Skipp has imo looked our best central midfielder. Bentancur looks like he'll want a word in that conversation.

Unike the others he's much closer to a complete midfielder. Not great at everything of course, but nothing he can't do well (apart from end product perhaps, but that's not really a big part of his role).

Back