• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rodrigo Bentancur

Not sure who the commentator was but a couple of games ago he was pretty dismissive of Bentancur, making out he was nothing special or “far from flashy”, something like that and Jenas couldn’t believe it, quite rightly took issue with the comment.

someone on here mentioned Carrick comparisons at the start of the season and that looks about right to me.

Fair enough - I see it differently. For me, Bentancur's ability to retain the ball and having an uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time make him perfectly suited to play a holding role, where I believe Bisouma strengths are when he drives forwards with the ball and his aggression defensively. I think Skipp is more Bentancur-like
I’ve seen a lot of bissouma… he isn’t a progressive player, he is a destructive player and very good at it

Not sure who the commentator was but a couple of games ago he was pretty dismissive of Bentancur, making out he was nothing special or “far from flashy”, something like that and Jenas couldn’t believe it, quite rightly took issue with the comment.

someone on here mentioned Carrick comparisons at the start of the season and that looks about right to me.

Yeah I heard that. Jenas showed he actually understood football and the other guy did not.

I think he's a defenders dream player, always there for the pass and passes the ball in front of players not to them unless that's the right ball..

sometimes it doesn't come off but the sheer number of first time passes adds pace and guile to our midfield.

love it when he first times the ball in between two onrushing players... can see their enthusiasm instantly drain and they just give up .

Do we think Rodrigo is a certainty to start on Wednesday and next Saturday?

Assuming his head injury didn't bother him too much he's had a bit of a rest from games, 3 games in quick succession should be fine. Starting him and PEH in all three I'm not so sure about. Would (again) ask a hell of a lot from PEH and if Bentancur drops a little bit from starting three games the combination of that could be a bit much.

Would like to see Bissouma or Skipp for Hojbjerg against OM, then if possible give Bentancur a slight breather through a second half sub. Games have a tendency to make those plans difficult to complete though.

Assuming his head injury didn't bother him too much he's had a bit of a rest from games, 3 games in quick succession should be fine. Starting him and PEH in all three I'm not so sure about. Would (again) ask a hell of a lot from PEH and if Bentancur drops a little bit from starting three games the combination of that could be a bit much.

Would like to see Bissouma or Skipp for Hojbjerg against OM, then if possible give Bentancur a slight breather through a second half sub. Games have a tendency to make those plans difficult to complete though.
I think it's too risky to swap out our #1 CM pairing completely, given that Skippy's been out for a long time and Bissouma hasn't exactly had a brilliant start. I'd start with Skipp and Bentancur, with a view to swapping one of them on 60 minutes.

Hopefully we'll end up with all four of them being able to swap in and out seamlessly, but I think now is a bit too early for that.

Would love to see Skipp start vs OM but after such a long lay-off my guess is coming on from the bench is his best hope.

I don't think he's quite got the vision of Carrick but he's better at almost everything else, I love watching him, the sort of player that was born to play for Spurs.

I don't think he's quite got the vision of Carrick but he's better at almost everything else, I love watching him, the sort of player that was born to play for Spurs.

100%.

I've always called players like Bentancur, "little touches" players, they shine most when you just watch the game & appreciate football. They are complete opposite of a match of a day player who only looks good on highlights packages.

These types consistently shows little touches of class throughout the game. Touch on point. Pass and move, always. Caresse passes into people's feet (if required) or often just in front of them perfectly into their stride. Cute little through balls or progressive break the lines passes in difficult / tight areas of the pitch.

Get around the pitch, works hard, and actually really good and intelligent defensively as well - seems to be in the right place nearly all the time.

He isn't perfect, does try things and they occasionally don't work - but that's ok, completely part of being someone who plays with a bit of (controlled) risk.

He's also won 3 league titles and a few other cups... so can't underestimate his impact here in one of the most important parts of the pitch

Love this guy, Modric was by far and away the best little touches player we had, but Bentancur definitely slots in a notch or two below him - which is still a compliment because Luka is an all time great.

100%.

I've always called players like Bentancur, "little touches" players, they shine most when you just watch the game & appreciate football. They are complete opposite of a match of a day player who only looks good on highlights packages.

These types consistently shows little touches of class throughout the game. Touch on point. Pass and move, always. Caresse passes into people's feet (if required) or often just in front of them perfectly into their stride. Cute little through balls or progressive break the lines passes in difficult / tight areas of the pitch.

Get around the pitch, works hard, and actually really good and intelligent defensively as well - seems to be in the right place nearly all the time.

He isn't perfect, does try things and they occasionally don't work - but that's ok, completely part of being someone who plays with a bit of (controlled) risk.

He's also won 3 league titles and a few other cups... so can't underestimate his impact here in one of the most important parts of the pitch

Love this guy, Modric was by far and away the best little touches player we had, but Bentancur definitely slots in a notch or two below him - which is still a compliment because Luka is an all time great.

I think that’s a bloody brilliant description of him. Seeing him in the flesh against Southampton and Fulham particularly, he’s just magnificent to watch and he doesn’t get the plaudits for the reason you mention (he’s not a highlights player).

I would love to see him pull out a similar performance against one of the big sides though. That’s my only gripe with him so far, he’s been very ordinary against the best teams. Hopefully Saturday will change that.

I think that’s a bloody brilliant description of him. Seeing him in the flesh against Southampton and Fulham particularly, he’s just magnificent to watch and he doesn’t get the plaudits for the reason you mention (he’s not a highlights player).
'Seeing him in the flesh', that's the important point, he a real joy to watch when you're at the ground watching him. You're in control of the camera then, and you see a lot more of him.

Last edited:
100%.

these little touches can have devastating effects on the morale of the opposition. especially when they are instructed to press or get close, but instead get continually bamboozled and eventually it gets to their ego, not wanting to look the fool and not pressing so hard.

also to succeed in these little touches one has to get into the right position and understand the options before receiving the pass. football intelligence aside, its about anticpation and good decisions too.

imo due to his great positioning he is always involved and impacting the game. off the ball as an option to receive or to block the channels and the opposition's advance.

he doesn't win games at the front or at the back, but a player like him is vital to win midfield control of the ball and the psychological battle

these little touches can have devastating effects on the morale of the opposition. especially when they are instructed to press or get close, but instead get continually bamboozled and eventually it gets to their ego, not wanting to look the fool and not pressing so hard.

also to succeed in these little touches one has to get into the right position and understand the options before receiving the pass. football intelligence aside, its about anticpation and good decisions too.

imo due to his great positioning he is always involved and impacting the game. off the ball as an option to receive or to block the channels and the opposition's advance.

he doesn't win games at the front or at the back, but a player like him is vital to win midfield control of the ball and the psychological battle

Reminds me of lenglet.

100%.

Top post. Spot on for me.

Still think he can do more. He has some great games, very few poor games, but quite a few games somewhere in between.

Great to have a high ceiling, but if he's too really fulfil his potential he needs to get closer to his best more often.

Top post. Spot on for me.

Still think he can do more. He has some great games, very few poor games, but quite a few games somewhere in between.

Great to have a high ceiling, but if he's too really fulfil his potential he needs to get closer to his best more often.
Not just Bentancur, but his teammates as well. They need to know what positions to take up off the ball, and to expect that one touch pass.

The great CMs (Modric, peak Eriksen) can transform teams on their own. But even good ones need a little help.

100%.

Great summing up of him and i could not agree more. Love watching him play.

I've always called players like Bentancur, "little touches" players
I call players like Bentancur and Carrick 'ball cleaners' because their teammates pass the ball at knee height, too hard, behind them, but they instantly calm it and control it and give it to someone in a better position, right into their stride, nice and clean, and off we go again.
Can't think why the name 'ball cleaners' never caught on...

I call players like Bentancur and Carrick 'ball cleaners' because their teammates pass the ball at knee height, too hard, behind them, but they instantly calm it and control it and give it to someone in a better position, right into their stride, nice and clean, and off we go again.
Can't think why the name 'ball cleaners' never caught on...

Remember someone (possibly Hoddle) describing Carrick as a washing machine, cause he always turned a dirty pass into a clean one.

Back