• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Me either.

A success in Spain =\= a success in England.

Wait, I think I've got it, he wants us to move the club to Spain.

Of course not, but genuine quality tends to shine through as a general rule. Of course there is a chance that wont happen.

Plenty of strikers have come over from doing well in Spain and been successful here. A lot of players take a year to settle, some hit the ground running some dont. If his scoring hasn't got any better this season then by all means probably best to send him back to Spain but we are hardly blessed with goalscorers so should at least be given a chance this season....

Both Adebayor and Soldado blow hot and cold; they are both as good and crap as each other

But the key for me is to play Kane as one of the 3 behind them

This 'forward thinking' player will give the defenders something to think about, freeing up space for the striker

Then we will stop fannying around with 10 passes around the edge of the box and actually have 2 in the box trying to score from passes/rebounds/crosses and defensive mistakes.

Of course not, but genuine quality tends to shine through as a general rule. Of course there is a chance that wont happen.

Plenty of strikers have come over from doing well in Spain and been successful here. A lot of players take a year to settle, some hit the ground running some dont. If his scoring hasn't got any better this season then by all means probably best to send him back to Spain but we are hardly blessed with goalscorers so should at least be given a chance this season....

Why should he be given a chance though?

If other players are playing better and showing that they want it more in training and during matches, then why should a player performing worse be picked?

If he can't show the quality required to push himself into contention then **** him. I'd rather player be picked on their recent attributes than what they achieved in the past, it seems to stand for other players, so why not our strikers?

(Disclaimer, I'm talking about Harry Kane before anyone jumps me about ade)

Why should he be given a chance though?

If other players are playing better and showing that they want it more in training and during matches, then why should a player performing worse be picked?

If he can't show the quality required to push himself into contention then **** him. I'd rather player be picked on their recent attributes than what they achieved in the past, it seems to stand for other players, so why not our strikers?

(Disclaimer, I'm talking about Harry Kane before anyone jumps me about ade)

He will get a chance regardless, whether it be in the Europa League so others are rested or due to injuries in the PL.

I don't mind Harry Kane at all, to be honest I think he's better in one of the front 3 behind the front man but wouldnt complain if he was picked. But lets be honest, there is no outstanding candidate for the striker role at the moment hence why Soldado shouldn't be written off as he has at least proved in another top competitve league that he can consistently score....

Ok...but how do we know he has genuine quality?

Ok...but how do we know he has genuine quality?

Perhaps because you don't score the kinds of goals he scored in La Liga without having genuine quality as a footballer. Unless you want to be more specific about what 'genuine quality' means to discount the number and quality of his strikes.

Perhaps because you don't score the kinds of goals he scored in La Liga without having genuine quality as a footballer. Unless you want to be more specific about what 'genuine quality' means to discount the number and quality of his strikes.

I have this urge to bring up Fernando Torres.. Robinho.. Shevchenko..

All the signs so far point to Soldado's name being added to this list. All of those players had 'genuine quality' too.

He has to show he's good enough here and now before I would be willing to give him a chance in the first team.

He has to show he's good enough here and now before I would be willing to give him a chance in the first team.

sorry to keep butting in here Spursalot - but it comes across as though you don't want to give him the chance to show what he can do in the first team?

I have this urge to bring up Fernando Torres.. Robinho.. Shevchenko..

All the signs so far point to Soldado's name being added to this list. All of those players had 'genuine quality' too.

the same torres who scored goals for fun at liverpool and even at his worst at Chelsea was STILL wanted by some on here..

sorry to keep butting in here Spursalot - but it comes across as though you don't want to give him the chance to show what he can do in the first team?

You're reading things that I'm not writing.

I want the best chance of us winning games, which is to play the striker who is currently playing best. On watching Soldado for 14 months I can't see that he will be that striker for many games in a season. When his competition is an inconsistent Adebayor and a young Harry Kane that paints a sorry picture.

Currently the player I'd pick is Harry Kane (maybe with the slight exception for Ade's rivalries). If Soldado can prove he can contribute in the europa and league, then he might get a chance. On yesterdays showing he's not there yet. Kane showed more in 25 minutes than Soldado showed in 85. Against a championship side.

I want the best chance of us winning games, which is to play the striker who is currently playing best. On watching Soldado for 14 months I can't see that he will be that striker for many games in a season. When his competition is an inconsistent Adebayor and a young Harry Kane that paints a sorry picture.

Currently the player I'd pick is Harry Kane (maybe with the slight exception for Ade's rivalries). If Soldado can prove he can contribute in the europa and league, then he might get a chance. On yesterdays showing he's not there yet. Kane showed more in 25 minutes than Soldado showed in 85. Against a championship side.

Do you think there is any system Poch could play that might help Soldado show us what he might be capable of? Or do you think he needs to play Europa League and the cups to see if he can regain his confidence?

the same torres who scored goals for fun at liverpool and even at his worst at Chelsea was STILL wanted by some on here..

Which is exactly the point. Torres scored for fun. Moved to a better team in the same league and flopped massively (though admittedly his form had dropped a little at Liverpool before the sale).

So why does Soldado scoring in Spain mean he'll score in England?

If this was his first season then yes, he would probably deserve more leeway, new country and all that. He's shown no signs of that Spanish form however. Cut our losses and move on.

well i guess this comes back to the point about what type of player he is vs what type of player you want him to be - Soldado, as far as i can tell, is a CF who thrives off of service - no service = an anonymous performance - he's not a Defoe who will go out against weak opposition and do what he always does and get the ball create a yard of space and rifle in a 20 yarder, that's not his game. playing him in a 2nd string XI with a support 3 of Paulinho Townsend and Lennon isn't likely to get the best out of him (keep in mind that those 3 are probably the 3 attack minded players which are on the end of the most criticism at this point fort their lack of involvement or selfishness) if we want to see whether he is good enough for the first team - we need to play him in the first team - failing that play a EL/LC game with Lamela Eriksen and Chadli - otherwise it just becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

well i guess this comes back to the point about what type of player he is vs what type of player you want him to be - Soldado, as far as i can tell, is a CF who thrives off of service - no service = an anonymous performance - he's not a Defoe who will go out against weak opposition and do what he always does and get the ball create a yard of space and rifle in a 20 yarder, that's not his game. playing him in a 2nd string XI with a support 3 of Paulinho Townsend and Lennon isn't likely to get the best out of him (keep in mind that those 3 are probably the 3 attack minded players which are on the end of the most criticism at this point fort their lack of involvement or selfishness) if we want to see whether he is good enough for the first team - we need to play him in the first team - failing that play a EL/LC game with Lamela Eriksen and Chadli - otherwise it just becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Which is unsustainable. If we're going to play Soldado in the first team to see if he's good enough, why not play Paulinho there? or Lennon? or Townsend? Or any other player that's been put into the 'second string'? Managerial reigns are full of short term-ism. If it's your first season you don't take the big risks. Play the players who are most likely to win you games, once you've gained some support and loyalty from the fans, then you can start to 'experiment'.

If Lennon, Townsend and Paulinho can't provide service against Championship and Europa League group teams then we've got bigger problems then just Soldado. Part of his problem is movement, it's getting into positions where the three behind him can get service to him. At times he was stood stationary by the defenders on Wednesday, he's not making it easy for them. And when Townsend did get good crosses in, Soldado was nowhere to be seen.

He got some chances like the ones you described last season, yet didn't make a particularly impressive impact. The description you've given of him makes me despair even more that we signed him mind, a striker that needs spoon feeding in a team that's struggling to create. A recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
Which is unsustainable. If we're going to play Soldado in the first team to see if he's good enough, why not play Paulinho there? or Lennon? or Townsend? Or any other player that's been put into the 'second string'? Managerial reigns are full of short term-ism. If it's your first season you don't take the big risks. Play the players who are most likely to win you games, once you've gained some support and loyalty from the fans, then you can start to 'experiment'.

Im not sure where the risk is for Pochettino? it's his first time working with all these players and their first time playing for him and with his tactics - a player not playing well last season under different circumstances probably doesn't come in to it. he played Soldado in pre season, he done ok (apparently?) he picked up a knock which kept him out of contention for a couple of weeks. Adebayor doesn't seem to be providing much threat atm so does he stick with him or not?

If Lennon, Townsend and Paulinho can't provide service against Championship and Europa League group teams then we've got bigger problems then just Soldado. Part of his problem is movement, it's getting into positions where the three behind him can get service to him. At times he was stood stationary by the defenders on Wednesday, he's not making it easy for them. And when Townsend did get good crosses in, Soldado was nowhere to be seen.

well the way i see our attacking midfield options there is a clear split between first team choice and back up - (whereas i don't for Adebayor v Soldado) BUT if it looked like the current 3 wasn't working then yes id expect to see the back ups given a good chance - i wouldn't be sitting here saying they haven't earned a spot by playing well in the cup team so we can't give them a go in the first XI.

So our policy should be 'if you don't perform in your first season or if you have one bad season then sling your hook'? Adebayor would have been out on his **** after 2013 if that was the case.

I don't know if it's some people's over inflated view of how much better the English league is compared to La Liga "what makes you think he will succeed over here just because he did Spain". He may not be suited to the premier league, or to Spurs, but Drogba was utter pish during his first season at Chelsea. I'm not saying Soldado will be anywhere near Drogba's level, but how do we know he won't succeed over here despite the fact that we have a different manager who doesn't play such negative football?

'
So our policy should be 'if you don't perform in your first season or if you have one bad season then sling your hook'? Adebayor would have been out on his **** after 2013 if that was the case.

I don't know if it's some people's over inflated view of how much better the English league is compared to La Liga "what makes you think he will succeed over here just because he did Spain". He may not be suited to the premier league, or to Spurs, but Drogba was utter pish during his first season at Chelsea. I'm not saying Soldado will be anywhere near Drogba's level, but how do we know he won't succeed over here despite the fact that we have a different manager who doesn't play such negative football?

No, once again the policy should be that if you're not playing well, you shouldn't be picked. If there are players playing better than you, they deserve to play. Not sure how many more times I'll have to write this before it'll sink in.

No, it's not an inflated view of the premier league. To be honest I don't give a **** what league he came from. What does bother me is that he has not been able to do it in a Spurs shirt. That's the be all and end all for me. I don't care if he scored a goal a game in Spain, because the evidence thus far playing for us is not positive. If he was good enough, than he'd be good enough. Show it and he can have a place in the first XI.

On the negative football front I have to laugh. The football has been just as negative as under AVB so far. We struggle to create chances and have become even more fragile at the back.

Last edited:
Im not sure where the risk is for Pochettino? it's his first time working with all these players and their first time playing for him and with his tactics - a player not playing well last season under different circumstances probably doesn't come in to it. he played Soldado in pre season, he done ok (apparently?) he picked up a knock which kept him out of contention for a couple of weeks. Adebayor doesn't seem to be providing much threat atm so does he stick with him or not?

well the way i see our attacking midfield options there is a clear split between first team choice and back up - (whereas i don't for Adebayor v Soldado) BUT if it looked like the current 3 wasn't working then yes id expect to see the back ups given a good chance - i wouldn't be sitting here saying they haven't earned a spot by playing well in the cup team so we can't give them a go in the first XI.

No, he shouldn't stick with adebayor at the moment. He should play the striker who is currently providing the biggest threat. Harry Kane.

The risk is his job, play a player who is not playing well and the most likely outcome? That they don't play well. It's not a surprising result. So playing such a player is likely to cost you points, especially in the single striking position, which will make it that much less likely he'll keep his job.

(No, I'm not saying we should fire poch, it does however concern me that all he seems to have added is pressing. The defence has gone downhill and as an attacking force we look no better than last year)

Well the way I see our striking options there is a clear pecking order at the moment based on form. Soldado has yet to reach the top of that pecking order, so he should remain as a backup option. Whether the current three behind the striker are working? Well that's another discussion entirely.

Back