• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Official - Soldado

So every newspaper talk out of their **** regarding transfer but are 100% accurate when it comes to how much we pay for a player? There is no way that we paid a straight £26m, you can link as many articles as you like but I still will not accept it.

I very much doubt we paid £26 million as an upfront payment but I imagine we will end up paying the overwhelming majority of that amount eventually.

Newspapers get a ****load wrong about transfers but I imagine it is relatively rare for them to almost unanimously erroneously double the transfer fee of a player.

People who believe otherwise seem to do so based mostly on the desire to not see us having spent almost £30 million on a player who scored 2 goals from open play in the league.

I very much doubt we paid £26 million as an upfront payment but I imagine we will end up paying the overwhelming majority of that amount eventually.

Newspapers get a ****load wrong about transfers but I imagine it is relatively rare for them to almost unanimously erroneously double the transfer fee of a player.

People who believe otherwise seem to do so based mostly on the desire to not see us having spent almost £30 million on a player who scored 2 goals from open play in the league.

I think it's pretty common for newspapers to report the transfer fee as the maximum possible fee if all incentives are met.

People aren't saying that the papers have "almost unanimously erroneously double the transfer fee of a player". They're saying that there have been reports that make sense that at least a significant portion of the fee paid was performance related.

That being said, what actually happens when a player is sold after a year? Say there was a clause about us winning a trophy or getting into the CL in the next 3 years or something like that. Or a clause about Soldado scoring 15+ league goals in each of the 4 years of his contract with us? I think it's pretty common that at least a portion of those clauses will have to be met if the player is sold. If it's the case that half the fee was performance related I really doubt all of it was directly related to his and our first season after his transfer and that we're now in a position where we can sell him for £15m and make a net profit.

Like NWND pointed out on the previous page, regardless of the details of the deal it was a big transfer for the club.

from the start of the soldado rumours i had extreme doubt that levy would sanction such a high risk purchase. having said that it seemed to come from so many sources that he did that you have to wonder...with so much money in the kitty , is that the one scenario that would allow him to do something like that?

I think it's pretty common for newspapers to report the transfer fee as the maximum possible fee if all incentives are met.

People aren't saying that the papers have "almost unanimously erroneously double the transfer fee of a player". They're saying that there have been reports that make sense that at least a significant portion of the fee paid was performance related.

That being said, what actually happens when a player is sold after a year? Say there was a clause about us winning a trophy or getting into the CL in the next 3 years or something like that. Or a clause about Soldado scoring 15+ league goals in each of the 4 years of his contract with us? I think it's pretty common that at least a portion of those clauses will have to be met if the player is sold. If it's the case that half the fee was performance related I really doubt all of it was directly related to his and our first season after his transfer and that we're now in a position where we can sell him for £15m and make a net profit.

Like NWND pointed out on the previous page, regardless of the details of the deal it was a big transfer for the club.

I was about to ask that. Im not clued up on contracts and contract law etc etc etc but with so many transfers now based on a lump sum plus additions - what happens if you get that player and sell him in a year? Does that mean the previous club who would have been due those additional payments lose out? We have seen it before havent we where players one game before hitting a landmark where the current club has to pay the previous club stop playing and ends up selling that player.

I was about to ask that. Im not clued up on contracts and contract law etc etc etc but with so many transfers now based on a lump sum plus additions - what happens if you get that player and sell him in a year? Does that mean the previous club who would have been due those additional payments lose out? We have seen it before havent we where players one game before hitting a landmark where the current club has to pay the previous club stop playing and ends up selling that player.

I'm no expert either, but you're right we have seen those. IIRC we've also seen us getting paid additional money for Darren Bent when he moved on again as some of the clauses we had were reportedly then paid because he was sold on or something like that.

I'm guessing most selling clubs will protect themselves and have clauses for most eventualities in the contracts.

The Telegraph is the only source to claim that, everywhere else says it's a straight £26m and given Valencia's insistance that he'd only leave for his release clause I find it hard to believe they'd accept half that.

Shall i now link numerous articles saying otherwise?

By all means, however the fact that the Telegraph article was a feature interview meaning there would have been approved content from the club lends credence to its facts.

As others say, I'm sure the top line figure is £26m, with add-ons and incentives met. And it is also common for newspapers to quote the full figure as it makes a story juicer.

13m up front or 26m in gummy bears it isn't really important as he hasn't lived up to his fee whatever it was - i do think however that he could be a success in the right team/with the right manager but should an offer come in from A.Madrid which see's us recoup our money then i think we'd be wise to take it. Don't think id actively look to sell but that kind of deal woyld suit all parties

Poor Bobby, even Ginola is twisting the knife now.

“They bought players like Soldado, £26m, for what? For scoring penalties?

“To be honest, I can find players who score penalties for less than that.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/tottenham/former_spurs_man_aims_dig_at_26m_man_roberto_soldado_1_3618076

I think the move to the PL has just been a step to far for Soldado, it's the pace and energy of the game here that he is struggling with and the guy just hasn't been able to adapt which has damaged his confidence, only showing us glimpses when we've played in Europe. If A.Madrid are truly interested and are willing to offer anywhere north of 15m I think at this point the club should seriously consider it as I can't see him becoming a 20 goal a season striker for us.

Poor Bobby, even Ginola is twisting the knife now.

“They bought players like Soldado, £26m, for what? For scoring penalties?

“To be honest, I can find players who score penalties for less than that.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/tottenham/former_spurs_man_aims_dig_at_26m_man_roberto_soldado_1_3618076

I think the move to the PL has just been a step to far for Soldado, it's the pace and energy of the game here that he is struggling with and the guy just hasn't been able to adapt which has damaged his confidence, only showing us glimpses when we've played in Europe. If A.Madrid are truly interested and are willing to offer anywhere north of 15m I think at this point the club should seriously consider it as I can't see him becoming a 20 goal a season striker for us.

Im sorry but there is no justification for saying that. Like I say id be more concerned if he wasnt involved in the play nor getting any chances as it would have indicated that he struggled with the pace and energy. However the fact that his al round general play has been good and that he has been getting involved with having chance after chance leads me to believe that its just more about finishing that has been his weak point this season. Having said that seeing how he has finished previously, I have no qualms that he would succeed this season if he stays.

Well said DHSF.

He made some great runs...and then wasn't given the ball.

I still believe in you Bobby.

MARCA have Soldado on their front page on thursday.

http://www.marca.com/multimedia/primeras/14/05/0529.html

Says that he is Atletico Madrids main striker target.

I think there is truth to this story.

The rumours about Costa going to Chelsea wont go away and now there is talk circulating that David Villa will join New York.

And Baldini did tell that bloke in the airport that he was going to Madrid to do business after visiting Barcelona... :-k

Yeah, that Atletico link has been there for a while.Personally I feel we should leave it to Bobby to decide, after filling him in on the situation. If he wants to stay, I'd hate for us to sell him: he's shown enough technical ability and desire during his brief spell here to be worth another shot, imo. I think a fired up Bobby Soldier would be great for us. However, if he wants to go back to Spain, then we should negotiate with Atletico.

However, whichever way it blows, I want us to get another striker, and hopefully we'll be honest with Bobby about any desires to get another one the club may have. It's up to him after that.

It'd be a shame because a high-pressing, fast, attacking forward line with Soldado would be excellent and serve him well. Imagine if we can get the Lamelas, Azzas and Townsends playing fast fluid football, Paulinho employed as a proper attacking midfielder too…I think he'd thrive on all that...

It'd be a shame because a high-pressing, fast, attacking forward line with Soldado would be excellent and serve him well. Imagine if we can get the Lamelas, Azzas and Townsends playing fast fluid football, Paulinho employed as a proper attacking midfielder too…I think he'd thrive on all that...

The thing is ANY striker would thrive on a supply that your intimating so therefore Ade and Kane would thrive as well.

When we don't have that type of supply Ade and Kane still thrived, well maybe not thrive but scored, whereas Soldado didn't.

We need a striker who thrives regardless of the service.

The thing is ANY striker would thrive on a supply that your intimating so therefore Ade and Kane would thrive as well.

When we don't have that type of supply Ade and Kane still thrived, well maybe not thrive but scored, whereas Soldado didn't.

We need a striker who thrives regardless of the service.

Precisely. I'd probably sell him to Atletico because for all some seem desperate for him to do well for us, the fact is he hasn't and we have two strikers who already have proven they can do well for us, even in less than ideal conditions, plus we are being linked with quite a few strikers, the latest being the kid from Standard Liege.

I feel pretty sure that Soldado's days are numbered at the club.

Sell, sell, sell.

His lack of application is shocking. If things aren't going well, you work harder, not stand around, commit pathetic fouls and complain over nothing.

I can forgive the poor misses, but I can't not trying. Even a half arsed Adebayor is 100 times more useful than Soldado.

NWND, i agree.
Whether it was because he didn't receive the service or for other non-football related issues, he was very very disappointing last season.
I think he could do a job, but he hasn't been a £25m player and, for that reason I suspect that given his age Levy will sell this summer if he can get £15m for him.
Inevitably he'll then return to Spain and score 25 goals…!

NWND, i agree.
Whether it was because he didn't receive the service or for other non-football related issues, he was very very disappointing last season.
I think he could do a job, but he hasn't been a £25m player and, for that reason I suspect that given his age Levy will sell this summer if he can get £15m for him.
Inevitably he'll then return to Spain and score 25 goals…!

I'm with you. Let's let Athletico sell Costa to Chelsea for mega bucks and then get as many of them as possible for Soldado. Their fans will be demanding a big signing having lost their talisman so we might even be able to get them up to £18 million or so.

We can then put that money towards the centre forward of Pochettino's choice.

My biggest worry with Soldado is that if he has another season of failure here then he will be worth pretty much nothing. Let's therefore cut our losses and run while we're not going to lose too much money.

Back