• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Right tax and the big companies what are we doing ladies.

I was debating this with a friend of mine. Whilst im an Accountant (in reality just Risk Management) I am not totally clued up on the tax system. Can i not claim back tax on work expenditure? Shoes? Suits? Shirts? Ties?

I know self employed lot can but us mere employees of bitches - I know that some non self employed people i.e. salaried employees who have claimed back on work expenditure. But not sure of its legitimacy because if it was why is everyone not doing it?

You can only claim if it's something that's for sole use at work and can be reasonably proven so. If you bought clothing with your company logo embroidered on it, then yes you could claim.

I suspect if you turned up with your employer's logo on your clothes they'd laugh and send you home.

One thing worth looking at to reduce your tax bill is the expenses your employer pays you. HMRC have recommended rates for things like mileage and you can claim back the tax on the difference if your employer pays you less than they recommend as I understand it (not really looked too closely though).

You can only claim if it's something that's for sole use at work and can be reasonably proven so. If you bought clothing with your company logo embroidered on it, then yes you could claim.

I suspect if you turned up with your employer's logo on your clothes they'd laugh and send you home.

One thing worth looking at to reduce your tax bill is the expenses your employer pays you. HMRC have recommended rates for things like mileage and you can claim back the tax on the difference if your employer pays you less than they recommend as I understand it (not really looked too closely though).

This. I've just done my P87s for 4 years

My employer pays me 30p a mile. This tax year you can claim 45p.

Therefore I get 15p tax relief on the difference.

In previous years it was 40p.

Back