• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Richarlison

It was a great cross, not his fault Kulu was too slow reacting, plus a couple of other decent balls. He had a good first half and dropped off a bit in the second like everyone else, just his finishing letting him down.
His through balls were good, and one lead to a goal. His finishing wasn't terrible and he went close. He generally had a good game, I just thought his crossing was a bit clueless.

I don't have high expectations for him but I do have reasonable expectations for the player playing that position and role. I'm not going to just forget what I think is needed because the player we have now isn't up to the task.

If we want success we are going to need that kind of undroppable player in that role in the same way that Son became undroppable due to performances and results. I appreciate that he works hard, but working hard alone isn't going to be enough.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Yep. Just as VDV, Udogie, Maddison, Bissouma eta have made themselves undroppable (on current form). The showboating was unnecessary. Not the first player to do it and won’t be the last but when you’re not even doing the basics as a forward I.e. scoring goals, it’s not a good look.

Yep. Just as VDV, Udogie, Maddison, Bissouma eta have made themselves undroppable (on current form). The showboating was unnecessary. Not the first player to do it and won’t be the last but when you’re not even doing the basics as a forward I.e. scoring goals, it’s not a good look.
Yeah, it was a weird one tbh as he definitely looks like his head drops when he does make a mistake, why complicate things further by doing something that has a low risk to reward ratio.

His lack of goals and general creativity aside which is a big concern, I don’t think his performances have been good enough this season bar the games against Sheffield United and Liverpool. I’d like Johnson to get the nod at LWF in the next few games unless Richy ups his game significantly.

His lack of goals and general creativity aside which is a big concern, I don’t think his performances have been good enough this season bar the games against Sheffield United and Liverpool. I’d like Johnson to get the nod at LWF in the next few games unless Richy ups his game significantly.

Johnson working his way in to a starting position is definitely on the cards but it makes more sense to me to keep things as they are and have Brennan in reserve for the last half hour. It's not as simple as this but we're winning games with Richarlison on the pitch so why change it? For an apparent lack of creativity he's got more assists than Odegaard this season and has a great partnership with Destiny who has also got a fair few assists so far. Crap finishing from Richy so far though, that I will admit.

As long as Richy is doing what the manager asks of him (which he clearly is by way of getting picked) whether he's scoring or not isn't really a concern and the guy is creating chances. Having an aerial threat at the back post with kulu's delivery will eventually pay off.

Interesting on the OMT that he's become the one people jump at the chance to moan about despite other players falling over the ball or directly passing to a Palace player from a short corner.

Johnson working his way in to a starting position is definitely on the cards but it makes more sense to me to keep things as they are and have Brennan in reserve for the last half hour. It's not as simple as this but we're winning games with Richarlison on the pitch so why change it? For an apparent lack of creativity he's got more assists than Odegaard this season and has a great partnership with Destiny who has also got a fair few assists so far. Crap finishing from Richy so far though, that I will admit.

As long as Richy is doing what the manager asks of him (which he clearly is by way of getting picked) whether he's scoring or not isn't really a concern and the guy is creating chances. Having an aerial threat at the back post with kulu's delivery will eventually pay off.

Interesting on the OMT that he's become the one people jump at the chance to moan about despite other players falling over the ball or directly passing to a Palace player from a short corner.
Maybe he's not getting picked because he's effective. Maybe the manager is still picking him because he believes that will help his confidence and a confident Richarlison is of benefit to the team.

Doesn't seem to be working though. Seems more like the Son injury last season - probably better to take some time out of the first team and fix the problem, then come back better.

Maybe he's not getting picked because he's effective. Maybe the manager is still picking him because he believes that will help his confidence and a confident Richarlison is of benefit to the team.

Doesn't seem to be working though. Seems more like the Son injury last season - probably better to take some time out of the first team and fix the problem, then come back better.

If you're genuinely posing that Ange is doing him a favour by picking him just for a confidence boost then I don't know where to start. If that ridiculous notion helps you make peace with him being a functional part of the team then so be it.

You're saying it doesn't seem to be working but results would suggest it is. I get that you need to have someone to bitch about even if things are going well (iirc you were very doubtful of Ange in the first place for the standard simpleton reasoning of Scottish football being what it is) but Richy is doing what is asked of him and because of that he's starting games. The guy isn't suddenly going to turn in to Kane finishing wise or a CR7 type who'll score a worldy if you just give him the ball on the left but if the goals keep on coming from elsewhere then who gives a fudge?

As I've said it's likely that Johnson will take the starting spot eventually but there's no sense in rushing that.

.....or to put all the analysis to one side... perhaps he's getting picked because Perisic Solomon and Brennan are/have been injured.

.....or to put all the analysis to one side... perhaps he's getting picked because Perisic Solomon and Brennan are/have been injured.
Most likely the case. He wasn't picked for our biggest game of the season when Johnson was fit. Johnson hasn't really scored either but he's done more in his small showings. He's had actual shots on target saved and scored that great offside equaliser against SU. I expect to see more of him on the left as he gets his fitness up to spec.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

I think he's been lucky that Solomon, Johnson and even Perisic haven't been fit, otherwise he wouldn't be playing right now (not at LWF at least). You can't fault him for all his hustle and bustle but he doesn't seem to be taking this opportunity. The pressure on him is immense, so many people want him to succeed but its just not happening right now.

Remember last season when he kept getting game time on the right and everyone was saying he wasn't great because he was better on the left!? I just don't know anymore, I think he might just have to settle for being a back up number 9.

I think he's been lucky that Solomon, Johnson and even Perisic haven't been fit, otherwise he wouldn't be playing right now (not at LWF at least). You can't fault him for all his hustle and bustle but he doesn't seem to be taking this opportunity. The pressure on him is immense, so many people want him to succeed but its just not happening right now.

Remember last season when he kept getting game time on the right and everyone was saying he wasn't great because he was better on the left!? I just don't know anymore, I think he might just have to settle for being a back up number 9.

In the system last season the left sided role would have suited him. I'm this system it doesn't.

Yeah, he's a striker in this system. I think he always has been. Just injuries that meant he's been used as an option there.

I think he's done alright there for a player playing out of position (or out of role, but that's not really an expression). About as well as we could expect at least.

In the system last season the left sided role would have suited him. I'm this system it doesn't.

Yeah, he's a striker in this system. I think he always has been. Just injuries that meant he's been used as an option there.

I think he's done alright there for a player playing out of position (or out of role, but that's not really an expression). About as well as we could expect at least.
It was the managers plan to play him at 9. The managers moved on from that. It's the managers plan to play him from the left. Injuries to others have given him more time to show his worth in that position. I'm sure the manager would have given more time to others if he had the options available removing on.

He's not a 9? Out of position on the right? In this system playing on the left doesn't suit him?....how perfect do things have to be for Richie to show his best for us? Others have adapted or are maybe just more rounded players? ....it ends up being easier for the manager just to move on to someone else

Remains to be seen if Ange is happy. He is starting games but he’s also getting hooked after 60 mins most games. He’s by far the easiest player in the starting lineup to upgrade on. I can’t fault his effort but the end product just isn’t there.

Remains to be seen if Ange is happy. He is starting games but he’s also getting hooked after 60 mins most games. He’s by far the easiest player in the starting lineup to upgrade on. I can’t fault his effort but the end product just isn’t there.

Son and Maddison were getting hooked in earlier games, I wouldn't read much into that.
I'm just thankful that for the moment it's working, maybe only just at times but that will do for now.

Son and Maddison were getting hooked in earlier games, I wouldn't read much into that.
I'm just thankful that for the moment it's working, maybe only just at times but that will do for now.

They have both carrying knocks for most of the season so far. And they’ve been taken off later in games than Richy.

If you're genuinely posing that Ange is doing him a favour by picking him just for a confidence boost then I don't know where to start. If that ridiculous notion helps you make peace with him being a functional part of the team then so be it.

You're saying it doesn't seem to be working but results would suggest it is. I get that you need to have someone to bitch about even if things are going well (iirc you were very doubtful of Ange in the first place for the standard simpleton reasoning of Scottish football being what it is) but Richy is doing what is asked of him and because of that he's starting games. The guy isn't suddenly going to turn in to Kane finishing wise or a CR7 type who'll score a worldy if you just give him the ball on the left but if the goals keep on coming from elsewhere then who gives a fudge?

As I've said it's likely that Johnson will take the starting spot eventually but there's no sense in rushing that.
You obviously didn't read my post properly.

A confident Richarlison is of benefit to the team. If Ange thinks that he can play himself into confidence then taking the hit on quality in the short term is worth it. Much like you might not bring in a better player before he's fit so he can stay fit for the rest of the season.

But it's not working because Richarlison is still playing nowhere near his best. So Richarlison needs another way to find his form - maybe bringing him on once a match is won.

You obviously didn't read my post properly.

A confident Richarlison is of benefit to the team. If Ange thinks that he can play himself into confidence then taking the hit on quality in the short term is worth it. Much like you might not bring in a better player before he's fit so he can stay fit for the rest of the season.

But it's not working because Richarlison is still playing nowhere near his best. So Richarlison needs another way to find his form - maybe bringing him on once a match is won.

"Maybe the manager is still picking him because he believes that will help his confidence" - Am I still misreading that? It's arguably true for every player if we're being pedantic.

Ange (or poundland Poch as you labelled him, top work there) is picking Richy because of what he brings to the team, it's not being done out of kindness. You could argue it's to do with injuries and we'll never know as it's a hypothetical but I do reckon he'd still be starting even if Manor and Perisic were available.

I probably do agree that he is probably the most upgradable but it's also not easy to find players who would work as hard and contribute to the press like Richy does.

As for him being subbed, that's just using the squad well which I appreciate we may not be used to as Spurs fans! For me it's an ideal set up to have Richarlison starting and then Johnson to come on for the last half hour, two totally different threats to have to deal with, the physicality/ Aerial threat of Richy then the pace of Brennan running at tired legs that may be chasing the game. I predict things will continue like that for a while but we'll see.

Back