• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Repetitive bickering and point scoring about money and our transfer policy

Re: what has happened to the transfer section?

95% of football transfers nowadays relies on instalment payments.

The fact is we still bid £23m on a player meaning we have that cash to spend (the payment method is irrelevant).

The fact is we still bid £23m on a player meaning we have that cash to spend (the payment method is irrelevant).

I can offer you £23m for your house, doesn't mean I actually have the money or intend to spend it.

'Fact'

Rafa is that you?

And don't forget we were willing to pay Matas release clause of £24m the summer before and if some people believe anywhere between £10 and £20 for Leandro this January. We also bid for Oscar last summer for about £10 - £15m before Chelsea gazumped us.

The Mata one was confirmed by Arry too (and i think Sandro confirmed the Oscar one too).

We don't have any cash (or not much cash) yet we contiuously make these big bids.

We don't have high cash reserves.

Porto wanted more up front than we wanted to pay up front.

Simples. I'm out, because some are just in to forward their Agendas.

A training ground imo is overrated. Of course it's great to have a brilliant training ground but our previous one was very good. It's not as if we've replaced a brick training ground with an excellent one...besides signing a couple of good players that will solidify/improve our chances for the CL is far higher priority.

Quite the opposite, IMO.

I believe that the importance of a top quality training ground is hugely underrated.

From the fantastic impression that it gives to potential signings; to the way that it can help to foster a good spirit among the players; to the vastly improved facilities that it offers for strength, conditioning and rehabilitation (you're quite wrong about Spurs Lodge, by the way - it had nothing like the facilities that Hotspur Way boasts); to the fact that our academy wouldn't have achieved the crucial category one status had we still been at Spurs Lodge.

Our wage to turnover ratio is fine at a little over 60%, as it is now. Remember that, throughout football, wages is the one cost that has consistently seen massive inflation over the past few years - so it is inevitable that it will account for a higher percentage of turnover than in the past. It's not a problem or a concern at the moment, though, because revenues are still increasing hugely, year on year (disregarding the intangible of qualifying, or not, for Champions League football). It means that all other costs account for an ever smaller percentage of turnover - which allows for a higher wage bill.

A higher, but still controlled wage bill. And a significantly lower wage bill than that of the Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Arsenal and probably Liverpool.

Yes we can afford to up our wages a bit, but keeping our wages under control will still be vital if we want to sign players.

We don't have high cash reserves.

Porto wanted more up front than we wanted to pay up front.

Simples. I'm out, because some are just in to forward their Agendas.

Funny that you was the one that wanted the reaction with the "Rafa" comment yet you throw the hissy fit when your post is completely ignored in order to stick on topic and discuss the topic at hand :lol:

Funny that you was the one that wanted the reaction with the "Rafa" comment yet you throw the hissy fit when your post is completely ignored in order to stick on topic and discuss the topic at hand :lol:

I thought it was more amusing that you seem to stick to your points despite other people having refuted them.

TBH none of us can be sure either way.

I'm of the opinion that we have the cash to spend should the 'right' player become available and others think we don't have much cash to spend. My opinion is based on the numerous bids we've made for other players and others base their opinion on the financial report. Either way there's no way to prove anything.

Braineclipse i don not believe we "don't have much money" and that the financial reports said "we didn't have any money to spend after last season".

People are directing me to the financial report but why should i believe a document that tells me "we don't have any money to spend after last season" when i saw us bid 23m on a player without relying on player sales. I firmly believe we have cash to spend.

There is a difference between making a bid of £20m with 4 installments of £5m over 4 years and having money in the bank ready to spend right now. As has been pointed out by others one of the proposed reasons for why we failed in our Moutinho bid was that they wanted more money up front.

Have you read any of the articles that have been written by for example that swissramble blog on our financial reports?

You claimed that the reports showed that we made a profit in previous seasons that we didn't spend and that we didn't spend after our CL season implying that we made a profit there as well that we didn't spend. I'm yet to see anything supporting this.

I thought it was more amusing that you seem to stick to your points despite other people having refuted them.

Of course i refute them until it is actually proven (which is why i asked if you can direct me to the part of the report that says "we don't have any money to spend after last season"). I didn't see that part when reading the report so i asked if you could point it out but sadly you was unable too.

You might like to base things on how many people on GG agree with you but i prefer the rafa approach 'facts'.

I'm of the opinion that we have the cash to spend should the 'right' player become available and others think we don't have much cash to spend. My opinion is based on the numerous bids we've made for other players and others base their opinion on the financial report. Either way there's no way to prove anything.

We can't be sure no. However budgets are based upon previous financial reports. You can make accurate estimations.

They won't be 100% correct, but in none of the estimations i have come up with have i found anything to show we have the money around that you seem to believe we have.

Of course i refute them until it is actually proven (which is why i asked if you can direct me to the part of the report that says "we don't have any money to spend after last season"). I didn't see that part when reading the report so i asked if you could point it out but sadly you was unable too.

You might like to base things on how many people on GG agree with you but i prefer the rafa approach 'facts'.

I base my financial observations on my knowledge of finances and the spurs financial reports. Nothing to do with people agreeing with me.

KD, havnet seen you in a while young hommie. welcome back..if you were actually gone

but on the point of money...i think we do have it...i just dont think we are that eager to spend it or intend to get extorted.

its not like we offer the price then after its been agreed we take it back down. we just get out bid

People keep talking about the structured payment plan of the moutinho deal but you honestly think a man as business savvy as Daniel levy would bid that amount unless he was 100% sure we were able to fulfil our payments? most deals rely on instalments so i don't quite get how that confirms we don't have the money available.

I don't know how much cash reserves we have but i'm of the belief we can spend considerable amounts on the right players if needs be. Personally speaking, bidding 23m on a player shows we are confident we are able to make that payment (instalments, down payment, blah blah blah i don't know the technical details). Of course it would be Levy's preference that we put as little down as a down payment but bidding that amount means we're able to spend that amount on a player (again instalments is irrelevant in the argument i'm making).

What about the apparent Mata and Oscar bids btw?

KD, havnet seen you in a while young hommie. welcome back..if you were actually gone

but on the point of money...i think we do have it...i just dont think we are that eager to spend it or intend to get extorted.

its not like we offer the price then after its been agreed we take it back down. we just get out bid

Cheers mate...was away from this place for a while ;)

Even if the 'right player' is available, he will still be paid for on a yearly basis. 'Right Player' doesn't just mean ability.. its means the whole package, including how we pay for his services (Yearly terms with club) and pay his wages (off shore tax payments).

People keep talking about the structured payment plan of the moutinho deal but you honestly think a man as business savvy as Daniel levy would bid that amount unless he was 100% sure we were able to fulfil our payments? most deals rely on instalments so i don't quite get how that confirms we don't have the money available.

This seems like a straw man to me.

Who here has been saying that Levy made a bid that he wasn't sure we were able to fulfill?

Most deals rely on installments, the point people are making is that it seems quite possible that Porto wanted more money up front, not money in 3 years and that quite possibly we didn't have that money to pay more for Moutinho up front.

I don't know how much cash reserves we have but i'm of the belief we can spend considerable amounts on the right players if needs be. Personally speaking, bidding 23m on a player shows we are confident we are able to make that payment (instalments, down payment, blah blah blah i don't know the technical details). Of course it would be Levy's preference that we put as little down as a down payment but bidding that amount means we're able to spend that amount on a player (again instalments is irrelevant in the argument i'm making).

What about the apparent Mata and Oscar bids btw?

Installments aren't irrelevant if you're arguing that we had money available to make a bid, that there was money there that we didn't spend.

Mata moved back when we actually have financial reports. If we did bid it seems clear that since we did spend whatever money we had without signing him if we had signed Mata it would have been instead of someone else, either that same transfer window or one of the windows following that one.

Back