• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Referee for Man Utd = Chris Foy

Foy was strong. None of the appeals were dead certs.

Perhaps cranking up the pressure in the week about the pen they got at Liverpool had an impact.

INJURY-TIME
After watching his side lose to Aston Villa at Old Trafford in 2009 Ferguson said that referees should not be responsible for calculating the amount of added on time. Three minutes was signalled at the end of the 1-0 win but Fergie moaned: “there were two stoppages of two minutes three seconds, but we only played three minutes added time.” A year later, Leeds dumped United out of the FA Cup and again complained about stoppage time, claiming that the five minutes of added time was “an insult to the game and the players out there,” as his players attempted to claw their way back from 1-0.

he is right about the need for someone else (4th official) to work out the added time - i thought 5 mins would have been about right, but if he really thinks 1 extra minute, then he is even more deluded than ever!

He even moaned that time should have been added for the six subs. One of which was Rooney who came on at half time so it didn't make any difference.

"4 minutes isn't enough to win a game."

Translated: we should have enough time until WE SCORE and can win the game.

How about moaning over why he started with Giggs AND Scholes and got overrun in the first half?

You can bet Fergie regrets resting Webb for this one now.

Well you have to give Fergie credit; he learns from his mistakes

He has now brought in Webb to take charge of Saudi Sportswashing Machine - Man Utd next weekend, so their season can get back on track

Well you have to give Fergie credit; he learns from his mistakes

He has now brought in Webb to take charge of Saudi Sportswashing Machine - Man Utd next weekend, so their season can get back on track

:ross:

Absolutely, credit where credit's due!!!

Nani was criticised after winning a penalty in the 3-2 defeat to Tottenham.

Ferguson said: "As a subject it is not worth going down because we have known for quite a few years there are plenty of players diving and, you have to say, particularly foreign players.

"Nani is not the type to dive. He has never been that type of player."

Ferguson's comments follow Sergio Aguero's claims that home players are treated better than foreigners by Premier League referees.

In April Ferguson, whose team face Cluj in the Champions League on Tuesday night, warned Ashley Young about diving.

But he insists referee Chris Foy was right to award Portuguese winger Nani, 25, a spot-kick after the challenge from Spurs' Jan Vertonghen on Saturday.

Ferguson added: "It was a penalty kick on Saturday. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. From the referee's position it was difficult because there were plenty of bodies in front of him."

Most fouled players

10: Eden Hazard, Chelsea
8: Pavel Pogrebnyak, Reading
7: Robert Snodgrass, Norwich City, Luis Suarez, Liverpool, Fernando Torres, Chelsea
6: Raheem Sterling, Liverpool, Shane Long, West Bromwich Albion

Fouls won in final third this season.

Source: Opta

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19797114

Didn't Fergie say after the game that Nani went down easily and has himself to blame for not getting the penalty?

Edit: Yes.

“I think there were quite a few penalties. The one in the first half was a clear penalty kick but maybe Nani made a meal of it.
He didn’t need to do that but certainly he was pulled back. I’m not sure about those in the second half.”

Last edited:
He even moaned that time should have been added for the six subs. One of which was Rooney who came on at half time so it didn't make any difference.

"4 minutes isn't enough to win a game."

Translated: we should have enough time until WE SCORE and can win the game.

It's Alex "Little Bill Daggett" Ferguson again: "I guess you think I'm kicking you, Chris. But it ain't so. What I'm doing is talking, you hear? I'm talking to all those referees down there in Stoke-on-Trent. I'm talking to all those referees in Whitley Bay, and all those referees up there in Chester-le-Street...!"

The problem is, it does have an effect, because referees understand that part of their job is to forestall any criticism of the way the game is officiated (especially in terms of openly questioning control of technical issues like timekeeping) by high profile clubs and individuals, and that the FA start shifting nervously in their seats when it happens.

The next time some other side scores an injury time goal that denies them 3 points, Ferguson will have forgotten all about the importance of providing a fair chance for someone to win, and he'll be moaning about too much time having been added on, claiming they add time now for too many ridiculous and spurious reasons other than genuine stoppages. It's all just an opportunity for him to prime the ref for their next game.

he is right about the need for someone else (4th official) to work out the added time - i thought 5 mins would have been about right, but if he really thinks 1 extra minute, then he is even more deluded than ever!

I think more than four minutes were played - right?

I do think that the Referees watch should be linked to the stadium clocks - or something. Dont Rugby have a timekeeper? Maybe we can follow suit. It seems like football is a bit behind the times.

I think more than four minutes were played - right?

I do think that the Referees watch should be linked to the stadium clocks - or something. Dont Rugby have a timekeeper? Maybe we can follow suit. It seems like football is a bit behind the times.

Actually give the fourth official something to do other than chatting with the managers...

I thought Foy did an excellent job, credit where it is due. I don't think any of those penalties were obvious but certainly could have seen them given I am wondering do you think Foy had that Stoke game in the back of his mind and he was going to do his best to give us the benefit of the doubt for this one? just a thought refs are human and he had to know he fudged us over last year

Why not just have a big clock somwhere in the ground that everybody in the ground, players, managers, fans and the ref can see, or mulitple clocks, and the ref signals to somebody to stop the clock when there is a stoppage in play? Problem solved.

Why not just have a big clock somwhere in the ground that everybody in the ground, players, managers, fans and the ref can see, or mulitple clocks, and the ref signals to somebody to stop the clock when there is a stoppage in play? Problem solved.

Likely to end matches with a rendition of the countdown tune for the last thirty seconds..

Would be amusing..

In sports like ice hockey, basketball and handball you have a countdown clock with a buzzer at the end. Clock is stopped when there's a pause in the game.

It's always amazed me that something so basic as knowing exactly how many minutes a footballer has played for can never be accurately stated, unless he's played the full 90 minutes.

Having a clock count-down from 45 minutes and stopped every time there is a break in play is hardly rocket science, as other sports have been doing exactly this for decades or more.

It's high time (pun intended) that football adapted to this too.

Someone should tell Fergie the problem with all these rants is at some time you have to actually blame yourself for your mistakes. It cant always be the refs fault. Instead of complaining about 1 or 2 incidents and an extra couple of minutes added on, why not wonder what happened during the other 94mins and what your players failed to do.

Back