• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Reducing My Sky Bill

I actually think Sky TV for £85 is decent value. I can though see why people think its expensive though. Its gone up around £20 in the last 5 years. But I do like a movie and me and the misses do have a lot of movie nights together (10 a month which at the cinema would be £200). I watch a lot of sport too.
Not forgetting I work from home these days and terrestrial tv is kinda crap in comparison, during the day all it is is auctions, celeb mag chat, wrongun chat shows and looking for a better life programmes, which gets brick after a while. I think the new Sky Atlantic channel definitely elevates the sky service.

My ESPN will be cancelled in May.

Will be interesting to see how BT plays its channel, will they just do the same as ESPN and be part of the SKY service. Ultimately the majority of willing pay tv customers are with sky already, cannot see many willing to buy more boxes. ESPN also have set the bench mark for the price as well. People will think if its over £10 that BT are taking the tinkle, and will not partake.

I agree BUT I do think stuff like HD should be free. Its a tenner a month which should be included in the total price in my opinion

I agree BUT I do think stuff like HD should be free. Its a tenner a month which should be included in the total price in my opinion

Good point, I very rarely watch anything that's just digital now, would love sky to have a Digital switch off sooner or later. The size of programmes are smaller now on the planner too, when I first got my 1TB box films would generally be around 1.5% of the planner, but now with them taking a large chunk of my 1TB for the stupid delete service which I think is near 20% (only needs to be 5%) and also the on demand stuff must take 20% also, amazing that many films are now under 1% working on 60% capacity. I am sure there is an equation there to show the change in size of each 100min film

The one gripe I have with sky though is that in the ON DEMAND section (SHOWCASE) why unlike in previous incarnations of the software do films when on Last Chance never delete from it and allow space for newer stuff. I end up having to press R(record), which sends it to my planner, then delete, then delete a fudging again to perm delete. lol Sometimes it builds up with over 20 movies all on last chance if I haven't cleared them myself, it seems there is a glitch whereby each film has a date from where it expires from ON DEMAND services, its only when this expires (sometimes 6 months) that it will disappear from the SHOWCASE section. I only realised this when I kept a film in there and when you press i it tells you a date, checked this with the LAST CHANCE build up films and sure enough they disappeared from SHOWCASE on that date.

Good point, I very rarely watch anything that's just digital now, would love sky to have a Digital switch off sooner or later. The size of programmes are smaller now on the planner too, when I first got my 1TB box films would generally be around 1.5% of the planner, but now with them taking a large chunk of my 1TB for the stupid delete service which I think is near 20% (only needs to be 5%) and also the on demand stuff must take 20% also, amazing that many films are now under 1% working on 60% capacity. I am sure there is an equation there to show the change in size of each 100min film

The one gripe I have with sky though is that in the ON DEMAND section (SHOWCASE) why unlike in previous incarnations of the software do films when on Last Chance never delete from it and allow space for newer stuff. I end up having to press R(record), which sends it to my planner, then delete, then delete a fudging again to perm delete. lol Sometimes it builds up with over 20 movies all on last chance if I haven't cleared them myself, it seems there is a glitch whereby each film has a date from where it expires from ON DEMAND services, its only when this expires (sometimes 6 months) that it will disappear from the SHOWCASE section. I only realised this when I kept a film in there and when you press i it tells you a date, checked this with the LAST CHANCE build up films and sure enough they disappeared from SHOWCASE on that date.

Thought about getting out more?

Thought about getting out more?

Funny you should say that actually as me, the misses and our 2 month little boy will be flying tomorrow (fingers crossed) to have a lovely holiday, flying back on the 8th to return for the 9th and the home game against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Yourself!?

:lol: But its like for only a couple of quid, if it was what you say I'd be blowing my load when she said 'Hello, my name is Tawny Hornball'

Personaly i think multiroom should be free and you just pay for another box. Think its a rip off paying 10 quid a month just to watch sky simultaniously in 2 or more seperate rooms. Dont cost a penny for FreeView

For those still trying to reduce your costs you need to speak to cancellation department and say you want to leave as can't afford it at the moment (made redundant etc) then you should get offered a discount. This is the best if you can't get cable.
It's luck of the draw who you speak to though, as some have targets to not let people downgrade and some have targets not to let people leave, but you should get a deal jo matter who you speak to.
I have entertainment mix and sky sports and espn and was given 25% off and phone, line rental & broadband for £5 per month although talk talk bettered the deal!

I need to sort out BT Sport soon, also still havent rang them about only having the Sports package as yet

I'm purposely not subscribing to it. Watch too much sport as it is, and with the little one 9 months now, going to give more spare time to him.

I need to sort out BT Sport soon, also still havent rang them about only having the Sports package as yet

I did it last week... I had to change my broadband router to a Homehub 4... which cost me £6, and the overall package for home broadband/call package came down to £43 from £52 with the sport added... I had to commit for 12 months, but bearing in mind that work pay for the BT package I was pleased. Not convinced that the Homehub 4 is an improvement on the 3 though... wi-fi signal doesn't seem any stronger.

Nope, but its close... He won't stop screaming though.... the little fudger (teeth)

Someone I remember on here suggested baby Einstein.. What a great product that is.

baby einstein is great, when my eldest was teething we found cal gel on the gums and letting her chew on french stick crust worked best

worryingly her 2 month old brother is already showing signs of teething, he's not grumbling yet but the misses is suffering during feeding and he's dribbling all the time

(thread hijacked ;))

So, we cancelled Sky the first time over a year ago, the best we could get by threatening to leave was about 12% discount. (I was on the full pack, HD, 3D and had been with them for a good 10+ years) However, due to the joy of the web, I was watching series's from the US, in glorious 720p and 5.1DD ages before Sky got them anyway.

We cancelled, went down the pub for a few footy matches, and bade our time....

Around a month later, we received an offer letter. (we expected this, as Mrs The Monkey's friend from work had done this). We were offered the same package as before for £22pm for a year, plus a £50 credit on our account. We accepted! :-D

It ended a few months ago, and we cancelled once again (again offered -12% off only by Sky to stay)

The difference this time is, I haven't even bothered having it back. I'm enjoying saving £840+ a year (which was in essence just to watch Sky Sports news interview chavs from Stoke in a car park, or repetitive sports news 'stories' about 'speculation', on loop, 24x7....

For £6 a month, I added oodles of content from NetFlix (plus cashback on QuidCo to cover 3 months worth). I also picked up a Samsung es8000TV, so have all the iPlayer shizzle built in, and for £50 have a 1TB HDD plugged in the back to give me the TV recording function lost when you disable Sky+. I no longer have a bricky 2003 design Sky box under the TV - whirring like fudge, locking up all the time, being the only device that still needs HDMI AND an Optic to run Dolby surround as its so bloody outdated, and about 3 or 4 thick sat cables coming in for LNB's and various feeds - plus a big metal Magic eye splitter for other rooms. GHod its so much tidier now!

The AppleTV gives me all the TV box sets (from various free sources) and movie streaming I need, backed up by 'CatchUp' TV and NetFlix. The spare LNB cable connects directly into the back of the Samsung TV now, so I've got FreeView and FreeSat to boot, and have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of free stuff and HD thats actually there now as well - (stopped watching normal TV when it was analogue, in preference of watching SSN all day!)

Finally, the new NOWTV service, in Beta, on the PS3 worked well when I tested it for the last day of the season matches, so I picked up 5 more day passes for £15 total on Groupon ready for the new season.

In summary; fudge Sky, they are rob dogging ****s. I've tidied up my set up, got more TV than I can watch, bought a few Groupon NowTV vouchers, and a USB HDD - and am still about £800 a year better off - recurring!

Back