• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp's Autobiography

Seems 'Arry might be losing some allies in the press:

Comment: Bitter attack by Harry Redknapp shows FA were right to overlook the then Tottenham manager

Ian Herbert
Tuesday 08 October 2013

Never can the words “The FA are clueless” be the headline to more emphatic proof that the English game’s governing body got it right. They encapsulate the judgement of Harry Redknapp, in his own mind a worthy England manager, who has revealed in the course of a new and bitter attack on the Football Association how he would have needed to enlist someone else, the then Swansea City manager Brendan Rodgers, to help him introduce a passing game, had he been asked to lead the nation at the 2012 European Championship.

Redknapp also discloses that the idea of spending time at St George’s Park, the centre of excellence established to develop that very passing game, does not appeal to him. “I’d rather go in every day and see a bunch of footballers than sit around drinking tea with a bloke in a suit,” Redknapp says, in the first serialised extracts of his autobiography, in which he characterises the governing body as full of institutional snobbery.

[...]

An intelligent conversation about what is wrong with England is under way, powerfully opened last year by Gary Neville and taken forward very shrewdly on these pages by Patrick Vieira last Saturday. Vieira, Emirates Marketing Project’s new development squad manager, was walking on egg shells while he talked; reluctant to offend by giving full voice to the notion that the same old people are coaching the same old version of the English game. Confines of space on Saturday prevented us publishing Vieira’s observation that “you need new, fresh faces; new, fresh voices” coaching the game “because the way of coaching and of talking about the game has changed. Our society has changed.” Vieira’s words certainly resonated when Redknapp popped up yesterday morning.

It is at St George’s Park, the place to which Redknapp seems so averse, that some of the “fresh faces” are to be found – because they certainly do exist. Nick Levett, the FA’s national development manager for youth football, is improving the quality of the coaching environment, to ensure young players begin thinking for themselves on the field and making their own decisions. It is a culture of less shouting and more thinking. Not a headline maker – but deeply significant.

There is still a dearth of the “new voices” Vieira talked of, because those who might provide them are desperately undervalued. A former England international related to me at the weekend that he is currently making a 200-mile round trip to coach at a leading Championship club, earning £17.50 an hour to do so. It might take him seven years to complete his coaching qualification, now that the fast-track route enjoyed by retired Spanish players – who can complete all their Uefa badges inside 18 months if they have played a minimum of five internationals or had eight seasons in the top division – has been taken away.

The England manager cannot solve all of these problems. He cannot even solve many of them. But the task ahead requires a figurehead with qualities of intelligence, modernity, flexibility, perhaps a modicum of diplomacy, as the FA seeks to wrench back the power it has lost to the Premier League. It requires the ability to take the same long-term perspective as the FA’s director of elite development, Dan Ashworth, who admits that England’s prospects of success are even further over the horizon than chairman Greg Dyke has suggested. It requires more than an occasional journey from a mansion at Sandbanks to Burton-upon-Trent.

The question of whether Hodgson was – and is – the right man belongs to another day. As Redknapp says, Hodgson’s face possibly did “fit” more with chairman David Bernstein, who appointed him. That much was clear on the night Hodgson casually dropped a novella – Chess, Austrian writer and journalist Stefan Zweig’s examination of Nazism – into Bernstein’s hands at a pre-Euros barbecue. Their inherent conservatism means both lack the personality for this media age exuded by Redknapp, born into the 1940s just like them.

Yet it was when reading the serialised sections of Redknapp’s autobiography that lay one double-page spread back from his annihilation of its organisation yesterday, that the FA must have given thanks for good, old-fashioned, buttoned-up Hodgson. It was the story of how Redknapp had been conned by a “jockey” called Lee Topliss who after three years and a scam which earned him thousands, turned out to be a potman from a pub in Newmarket. Clueless? Just imagine the fall-out from a story like that.

The FA don't know what they are doing most of the time, especially when it comes to picking managers. I don't think the results would have been better under Redknapp than Hodgson has achieved, but he's a better manager than Roy in my opinion. Like I said earlier in the thread, the biggest mistake they ever made was not appointing Brian Clough who like Redknapp was bit of maverick and didn't tow the line, albeit a far better manager than Arry.

I'd like to see the FA add some young people to the higher echelons of their organisation with a more modern view of the game rather than old dinosuars.

Well i agree about Clough and also that the FA are out of date, however they were never going to give the job to Redknapp, too much baggage to start with but they are many at the FA who still remember the farce that was KK. They were never going to let the media take them down a road to another messiah like they did with KK, Redknapp would have had the same effect ending and they were never going to let that happen.

Well i agree about Clough and also that the FA are out of date, however they were never going to give the job to Redknapp, too much baggage to start with but they are many at the FA who still remember the farce that was KK. They were never going to let the media take them down a road to another messiah like they did with KK, Redknapp would have had the same effect ending and they were never going to let that happen.

Yeah I don't disagree with any of that. Let's say we don't qualify for the World Cup, Hodgson would be sacked, even though Redknapp has coated the FA in his book, a part of me thinks they might appoint him manager just as a way of saying Ok you think you're so special? You take the job and see if you can succeed with this group of players. And there is no way he would.

You got to hand it to Harry. His autobiography is a good read and he would make a good dinner table guest. Seems like a top bloke too.

Good luck to him. Hope this autobiography sells well. Thank you for securing us CL football, f**k you for your 'never had it so good' comments, and kindly stop pretending that 'injuries' were the sole reasons behind our delightful form post February 2012. Ta ra.

Oh, and I hope someone close to him gives him some advice: concentrate on your damn team instead of moaning about Hodgson and England, lest you repeat 2012 again.

Good luck to him. Hope this autobiography sells well. Thank you for securing us CL football, f**k you for your 'never had it so good' comments, and kindly stop pretending that 'injuries' were the sole reasons behind our delightful form post February 2012. Ta ra.

Oh, and I hope someone close to him gives him some advice: concentrate on your damn team instead of moaning about Hodgson and England, lest you repeat 2012 again.

In my opinion our form post Feb 2012 was down to injuries (60%), Levy's refusal to strengthen in Jan (30%) and the FA's drawn out recruitment process (10%).

Do you expect Harry's Autobiography not to mention Hodgson or England?

In my opinion our form post Feb 2012 was down to injuries (60%), Levy's refusal to strengthen in Jan (30%) and the FA's drawn out recruitment process (10%).

Do you expect Harry's Autobiography not to mention Hodgson or England?

Uh oh....here we go......

Yeah I don't disagree with any of that. Let's say we don't qualify for the World Cup, Hodgson would be sacked, even though Redknapp has coated the FA in his book, a part of me thinks they might appoint him manager just as a way of saying Ok you think you're so special? You take the job and see if you can succeed with this group of players. And there is no way he would.

Believe me, unless they all change their minds ( which they will not) its not going to happen.

At the time of Capello resignation , in footballing terms Harry was riding high. His stock fell enough after that to allow them to not give it to him

We lost 1 - 5 Chelsea in the SF and also a big lead over Arsenal.

True Harry's face does not fit, but he has not been successful enough to overcome that.

Had we finished a comfortable 3rd or won the Cup, it would have been impossible for the FA to not give *** to Harry on footballing grounds.

He has won as much as Martinez in his career, he is no Clough.

Last edited:
Compared to Hodgson, Harry did deserve the job on footballing grounds. I have no doubt he would have got better results and peformances from England this last 18 months too. But his big mouth has always let him down and he has kissed goodbye whatever tiny chance still remained of ever getting the job.

Compared to Hodgson, Harry did deserve the job on footballing grounds. I have no doubt he would have got better results and peformances from England this last 18 months too. But his big mouth has always let him down and he has kissed goodbye whatever tiny chance still remained of ever getting the job.

I agree that he probably would have got better results but on footballing grounds it had to be Hodgson..

For a potential international job managing Bournemouth, West Ham United, Portsmouth, Southampton, Tottenham does not compare with Malmö FF, Switzerland, Inter Milan, Blackburn Rovers, Grasshoppers, Copenhagen, Udinese, United Arab Emirates, Finland, Fulham, Liverpool.

Rednapp record -

Bournemouth
Football League Division Three (1): 1986–87
Football League Trophy (1): 1983–84
West Ham United
UEFA Intertoto Cup (1): 1999
Portsmouth
Football League Division One (1): 2002–03
FA Cup (1): 2007–08

Hodgson record -

Halmstads BK
Allsvenskan (2): 1976, 1979
Örebro SK
Division 2 North (1) 1984
Malmö FF
Allsvenskan (5): 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989
Svenska Cupen (2): 1985–86, 1988–89
Inter Milan
UEFA Cup Runner-Up (1): 1997
Copenhagen
Danish Superliga (1): 2000–01
Danish Super Cup (1): 2001
Fulham
UEFA Europa League Runner-Up (1): 2010

I agree that he probably would have got better results but on footballing grounds it had to be Hodgson.

I think you've hit the tickle my balls with a feather there.

I can see the FA choosing to put 'footballing grounds' ahead of results in making their choice.
They seem to have been doing that for most of the last 40 years.

Being the England manager is not just about results it is also about being an ambassador. That is why only in their own heads was there a chance of Clough or Redknapp getting the job.

Shows his complete unawareness of what is going on around him if he thought he was gonna get a rise and not the sack when he had his meeting with Levy

Yeah, forget the results, it's knowing which knife and fork to use when dining at Buckingham Palace that's important.

Ambassador, my ****. Sums up everything that's wrong with the FA.

Yeah, forget the results, it's knowing which knife and fork to use when dining at Buckingham Palace that's important.

Ambassador, my ****. Sums up everything that's wrong with the FA.

think this autobiography has proven them right in their decision tbh.

Back