• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp's Autobiography

Roy was not the right decision.

i still think he was (is), the state the whole system is in its more important to be a steward, he has a position with which to guide the required changes and he probably has a better clue than any other FA employee on what those changes are

The merry-go-round with England managers is like changing the Captain on the Titanic after it hit the iceberg. the set-up is wrong

That's probably true to some extent at least.

But that doesn't mean that a short term benefit to the fortunes of your national team couldn't be had by appointing the right manager. Despite the flaws in your setup you have a good squad with loads of good and some great players. Worse squads have done a lot to make a mark in international tournaments.

I still remember when the FA had the chance to hire Hiddink, but went for McClaren... That was ridiculous.

Being the England manager is not just about results it is also about being an ambassador. That is why only in their own heads was there a chance of Clough or Redknapp getting the job.

Shows his complete unawareness of what is going on around him if he thought he was gonna get a rise and not the sack when he had his meeting with Levy

They ****ed up big time by not going for Clough. Forget the fact that he was the public's choice, he won the league with two different clubs and back to back European Cups with a provincial side (at the time). Our greatest ever manager and an absolute joke he was never appointed.

think this autobiography has proven them right in their decision tbh.
We'll see about that next week.

Personally, I think Redknapp would get more out of an average England squad than Hodgson has so far, but that's not really my point. The problem is that the FA would always prefer someone in a blazer than someone in a tracksuit, safe rather than risky, Greenwood or saint Bobby rather than Clough. The only two occasions in forty years they haven't done that, with Venables and Hoddle, produced the two best England teams since 66.

Trouble is, even when they play it safe like with that **** Eriksson it still blows up in their face.

Harry is right about them being clueless.

They ****ed up big time by not going for Clough. Forget the fact that he was the public's choice, he won the league with two different clubs and back to back European Cups with a provincial side (at the time). Our greatest ever manager and an absolute joke he was never appointed.
I'm still not over it!

The problem you have with the FA Set Up is, and always has been, one of class.

The FA are made up of an upper middle class boys club. Football in the UK is (was) mainly a working man's game, more in terms of players than supporters. Supporters come from all backgrounds now, most English players do not. Players go on to become Managers. The FA have never been able to relate to the fans, let alone the players. They are different types of people completely.

Footballers can be maverick, and the very notion of football is an illogical one so yes a lot of Football Managers and Players are very illogical in what they say and the way they act. But not in the footballing world. There it is normal. But the FA isn't really part of that football world. So instantly you have confusion and distrust. The FA want their England Manager to be refined, eloquent and unlikely to cause any embarrassment to their establishment. They don't want some common peasant in charge because that's just not cricket old boy. They can't have a common man invited to a potentially posh UEFA party, a man that could cause a scene. That would be a disaster! To be honest, a lot of Chairman have the same problem also.

Only it keeps backfiring in their face, although they haven't had a Hoddle/Sven type scandal for a while now, because there has been a massive lack of success during a potential golden era. The same thing happened in the 80's when they hired bumbling Bobby over Cloughie.

The recent exception to the rule was Venables, but even he only lasted two seasons and they didn't really want him in charge. It was a marriage of convenience.

So sorry folks, England won't be successful unless a good middle class Englishman becomes a successful football manager. We'll get far more Bobby Robsons, Taylors and Hodgsons than Cloughs or Venables.

We'll see about that next week.

Personally, I think Redknapp would get more out of an average England squad than Hodgson has so far, but that's not really my point. The problem is that the FA would always prefer someone in a blazer than someone in a tracksuit, safe rather than risky, Greenwood or saint Bobby rather than Clough. The only two occasions in forty years they haven't done that, with Venables and Hoddle, produced the two best England teams since 66.

Trouble is, even when they play it safe like with that **** Eriksson it still blows up in their face.

Harry is right about them being clueless.

Hoddle wasn't a risk in their eyes. He was a mild mannered, well spoken Christian and now middle class in lifestyle and attitude (although he wasn't always so!). They just didn't count on the fact that he is massively eccentric when it comes to his religion.

The FA are made up of an upper middle class boys club. Football in the UK is (was) mainly a working man's game, more in terms of players than supporters. Supporters come from all backgrounds now, most English players do not. Players go on to become Managers. The FA have never been able to relate to the fans, let alone the players. They are different types of people completely.

Footballers can be maverick, and the very notion of football is an illogical one so yes a lot of Football Managers and Players are very illogical in what they say and the way they act. But not in the footballing world. There it is normal. But the FA isn't really part of that football world. So instantly you have confusion and distrust. The FA want their England Manager to be refined, eloquent and unlikely to cause any embarrassment to their establishment. They don't want some common peasant in charge because that's just not cricket old boy. They can't have a common man invited to a potentially posh UEFA party, a man that could cause a scene. That would be a disaster! To be honest, a lot of Chairman have the same problem also.

Only it keeps backfiring in their face, although they haven't had a Hoddle/Sven type scandal for a while now, because there has been a massive lack of success during a potential golden era. The same thing happened in the 80's when they hired bumbling Bobby over Cloughie.

The recent exception to the rule was Venables, but even he only lasted two seasons and they didn't really want him in charge. It was a marriage of convenience.

So sorry folks, England won't be successful unless a good middle class Englishman becomes a successful football manager. We'll get far more Bobby Robsons, Taylors and Hodgsons than Cloughs or Venables.

Fantastic post.

I agree with a lot of that.

Hoddle wasn't a risk in their eyes. He was a mild mannered, well spoken Christian and now middle class in lifestyle and attitude (although he wasn't always so!). They just didn't count on the fact that he is massively eccentric when it comes to his religion.
The bit in brackets undermines your argument. Glenn tries to portray himself that way. But you can't just wash off your working class roots that easily. But he was certainly less of a risk than Venables was or dear old Cloughie would have been!

Top post!

We played the best football that I can remember England playing under Venables. Euro 96 was the last time I consistently enjoyed watching us play and I was heartbroken when we lost to Germany on penalties.

Do you think Clough would have won the World Cup in 1990? Bit before my time but from what I've seen from old highlights and what my old man told me is we didn't actually play that in the tournament as a whole (typical England really) apart from the semi final when we were genuniely unlucky not to win the game.

The bit in brackets undermines your argument. Glenn tries to portray himself that way. But you can't just wash off your working class roots that easily. But he was certainly less of a risk than Venables was or dear old Cloughie would have been!

Don't want to get into a big social debate, but middle class is an attitude and lots of people over the last 30 years have transitioned from being working class to middle class, in terms of attitude, tastes and hobbies. There are some very interesting social papers on it if you ever get bored enough to read them! The lack of native working class people in this country is becoming a real problem, and the gap is currently being filled by immigrant. Most working class families, especially in the south, have either transitioned to becoming lower middle class or have regressed to becoming underclass. This is especially true in the south outside of London.

Top post!

We played the best football that I can remember England playing under Venables. Euro 96 was the last time I consistently enjoyed watching us play and I was heartbroken when we lost to Germany on penalties.

Do you think Clough would have won the World Cup in 1990? Bit before my time but from what I've seen from old highlights and what my old man told me is we didn't actually play that in the tournament as a whole (typical England really) apart from the semi final when we were genuniely unlucky not to win the game.

We did OK against Holland too in 1990, but you're right. Other than that we were poor which is an embarrassment when you look at the players. I'd say 1986 was even worse. In 1986 we had a potentially great team. Yes Argentina had Maradona, but we had a far better team. We completely blew it.

Under Clough we would have had more flair and I do believe we would have been far more competitive in 86, 88 and 90 had he stuck around that long. The talent pool from that era was freakishly good like it is for Spain now or it was for France 15 years ago. It really was a massively missed opportunity.

People talk about Rooney being the most talented English player at the moment but I can safely say that the likes of Lineker, Barnes, Hoddle, Gascoigne, Waddle, Beardsley, Robson were all higher quality than he is. And they were all around at the same time. And I said at the time that I felt Sheringham should have been at Italia 90. Steve ****ing Bull. Unbelievable decision. Right up there with Sven's Walcott moment.

Teddy at Italia 90? Never heard that one before. I never got the fascination with Steve Bull myself.

We did OK against Holland too in 1990, but you're right. Other than that we were poor which is an embarrassment when you look at the players. I'd say 1986 was even worse. In 1986 we had a potentially great team. Yes Argentina had Maradona, but we had a far better team. We completely blew it.

Under Clough we would have had more flair and I do believe we would have been far more competitive in 86, 88 and 90 had he stuck around that long. The talent pool from that era was freakishly good like it is for Spain now or it was for France 15 years ago. It really was a massively missed opportunity.

People talk about Rooney being the most talented English player at the moment but I can safely say that the likes of Lineker, Barnes, Hoddle, Gascoigne, Waddle, Beardsley, Robson were all higher quality than he is. And they were all around at the same time. And I said at the time that I felt Sheringham should have been at Italia 90. Steve ****ing Bull. Unbelievable decision. Right up there with Sven's Walcott moment.

Clough was a keep ball merchant, very much the same football as Spurs are trying to play, he played one up front before it was invented ( Wood****, Birtles, Whithe etc ) and kept the ball on the floor, I saw an interview of his once and he said that Hoddle was wasted and he would have built his England around him.

I still maintain he was set up and stitched up by the FA and Davis...we blew a massive, massive chance to be a world footballing power when Glenn was sacked. They laughed about what he did, and now most of it is a part of modern football. macarons.

Back