• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v West Ham

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
Lloris - 5. Could do nothing with the goals.

Walker - 4. Learn to defend...and cross. Your pace will not always save you (as seen in this game)
Dawson - 5. Poor
Vertonghen - 5. Poor
Naughton - 5. Offered absolutely zero going forward. Though Sigurdsson constantly drifting into the middle doesn't help.

Townsend - 5. So predictable, he will always cut in on his left. Should have moved to the left-side.
Paulinho - 6. Pick of the bunch, and that's not much credit.
Dembele - 4. This bloke infuriates me. Seriously looks like he can't be arsed sometimes. Today was one of those days.
Sigurdsson - 4. Totally ineffective.

Eriksen - 4. Nothing came off for him.

Defoe - 4. Should have scored. Lacked movement and intelligence.

AVB - 3. Poor, poor tactics. Blatantly clear after 10 minutes how West Ham would set up and he should have responded. Having players cutting inside against a narrow West Ham defence was never going to prove successful. Should have put Townsend on left, Sig on the right and got them slinging crosses in.

Shocking display. Thoroughly embarrassing.

Lloris - 5. Could do nothing with the goals.

Walker - 4. Learn to defend...and cross. Your pace will not always save you (as seen in this game)
Dawson - 5. Poor
Vertonghen - 5. Poor
Naughton - 5. Offered absolutely zero going forward. Though Sigurdsson constantly drifting into the middle doesn't help.

Townsend - 5. So predictable, he will always cut in on his left. Should have moved to the left-side.
Paulinho - 6. Pick of the bunch, and that's not much credit.
Dembele - 4. This bloke infuriates me. Seriously looks like he can't be arsed sometimes. Today was one of those days.
Sigurdsson - 4. Totally ineffective.

Eriksen - 4. Nothing came off for him.

Defoe - 4. Should have scored. Lacked movement and intelligence.

AVB - 3. Poor, poor tactics. Blatantly clear after 10 minutes how West Ham would set up and he should have responded. Having players cutting inside against a narrow West Ham defence was never going to prove successful. Should have put Townsend on left, Sig on the right and got them slinging crosses in.

Shocking display. Thoroughly embarrassing.

Pretty much agree with the ratings but i would Give Townsend a 6 and Paulinho a 5.5.

Lloris - 5.5. Couldn't do much about any of the goals, and reacted quickly to dangerous developments.

Walker - 3.5. Offered zero attacking support down the right, and was caught out time and again by Diame on the left.
Dawson - 4.5. Offered no leadership and precious little solidity. Was dominated in the air and outfoxed on the ground. Reasonably reliable for 60 minutes, and then just collapsed.
Verts - 4.5. See above.
Naughton - 3.5. See Walker, substitute Diame for Demel.

Townsend - 6. Tried hard, made some good runs, and caused his opposing full-back quite a few problems. Not his fault the only person he had to aim at was tiny Jermain Defoe.
Paulinho - 6. Best of a bad bunch. Ran himself into the ground, kept getting into dangerous positions and tried to dictate play. Was guilty of some bad shooting, though.
Dembele - 5.5. Was decent defensively, but misplaced way too many passes.
Siggy - 4. Was caught ball-watching time and time again, and wasn't mobile enough to help the isolated Defoe.

Eriksen - 4.5. Kept trying, but little came off thanks to West Ham's incessant pressing.

Defoe - 4.5. Hard to blame him given the circumstances, but the end result is that he had a bad game, whatever the reasons behind that.

AVB - 2.5. Out-thought by Big Sam of all ****ing people. Lacked natural width due to our wing-backs either being on the wrong flank (Naughton) or carrying an injury (Walker), but set up in an inside-forward formation anyway, against a West Ham side who immediately went extremely narrow and squeezed the life out of us. Didn't change this at all, and also paid for failing to address our susceptibility to set-pieces with Reid's goal after we'd already been warned by Nolan's near miss from a previous free-kick. Poor, very poor from the boss.

all in all, an utter embarassment. And the players will be paid for that performance, will they?

Awful simply awful.

I'll look at AVB for this one. Why is dawson still in the team? Vertonghen will ask to move soon as anyone would playing next to Dawson.

As for defoe up front on his own...

That was the game for soldado.. Or if you are to play defoe today, rest him on thursdays...

Defoe isnt good enough anyway.

Lloris - 7 - No chance with the goals, one or two good saves

Walker - 4 - Looked unfit. A mess at the back and offered nothing going forward

Dawson - 4 - Very poor, got completely skinned by Morrison for the goal

Vertonghen - 4 - Also poor, should have scored.

Naughton - 5 - Should not be playing left-back. Simple as.

Paulinho - 6 - Had a couple of half chances, didn't do much with them. A couple of good passes.

Dembele - 5 - Ineffective.

Eriksen - 5 - One great free-kick that we should have scored from, nothing else apart from that.

Townsend - 7 - Looked our most likely player to make things happen. A few decent balls into the box that we didn't capitalise on, he is fast and hungry and is not taking 20 pot shots per game any more.

Defoe - 4 - Poor. I appreciate he was in good form, but tactically this was a game he should not have started. Never got into the game, and the one good chance he did get, he missed.

Sigurdsson - 5 - A couple of good passes but generally quite ineffective

Subs:

Lamela - 3 - Offered absolutely nothing

Soldado - 6 - Got into a few positions but nothing really came off

Holtby - N/A

AVB - 3 - Very poor from him today, somehow managing to get spanked by a team that were playing for a draw. It was painfully obvious that West Ham were going to play very narrow, defensive football and go for the clean sheet. Yes, Defoe has been in good form, but he has never and will never flourish as a lone striker against opposition that have 10 men in the box, this was not the game to bring him into the side. The player who's form DID warrant a start today was Holtby, as in games like this you need players who can pick a quick and accurate pass to somebody that's found a bit of space. We had to wait until the 81st minute to see him, by which point the game was already lost. Walker looked unfit, Naughton should have been playing at RB, certainly not at LB where he is awful. I'd have rathered Vertonghen at LB with Chiriches in the middle. With wide players who like to cut in, we were set up to play narrow, which is exactly what West Ham wanted. All they had to hope for was that oru defence had a shocker, which it did, and they'd win the game.

Lloris - 7
Walker - 4
Dawson - 5
Vertonghen - 5
Naughton - 3
Townsend - 5
Paulinho - 4
Dembele - 5
Eriksen - 4
Sigurdsson - 3
Defoe - 5

Soldado - 4
Lamela - 3
Holtby - 4

Lloris - 6. Not his fault we lost.

Walker - 4. Looked tired
Dawson - 4. Poor
Vertonghen - 4. Looked tired
Naughton - 4. Zero threat going forward

Townsend - 6. Tried.
Paulinho - 6. Also tried.
Dembele - 4. New Parker today.
Sigurdsson - 4. Zero contribution, wants to play in the middle.
Eriksen - 5. Nothing happened to crowded in the middle and no width and poor runs from forwards.

Defoe - 3. Should have scored. Poor passing and very low play intelligence.

AVB - 3. Poor, poor tactics. Defoe lost it long time ago. Naughton and Siggy dont work together now width at all, since Naughton is not Walker. Townsend should start on the left giving us width and speed there. Lamela on the right would work since Walker always going forward overlapping. Also players looked tired especially Walker, Dawson and Verts who I have never seen so bad. Big Sam had read this and packed players in the middle and we were getting nowhere. Siggy, Eriksen and Paulino all in the same area.

Last edited:
I would love for the players to say that they are embarrassed to get paid for today and just donate their wages to charity. I can't be bothered to rate that. It was dire all round

Can't be bothered to do full match ratings... but the whole back four, Dembele, Eriksen, Sig all had very poor games.

JD was trying but it wasn't set up right for him to be effective today.

Townsend & Paulinho are the only players who emerge with any vague credit IMO. And Lloris couldn't really do anything about any of the goals IMO.

I'd rate Townsend a 6, but as for the rest, I'd struggle to give them more than 4's and 5's all around.

I would agree with those posters who gave AVB a 3! What the fcuk has happened to our width?

As for the fans, did I miss the fire drill!?

3's all round asides from Lloris who gets a 7.

Awful game and the worst league result i can think of off the top of my head

It was a terrible performance but ill be honest with you - we have been getting away with that type of performance. I think we have flattered to decieve barring one or two games. Im comfortable with our set up away from home.

Anyways overall a 4 and a 3 in the first and second halves respectively.

AVB needs to have a plan B - im sorry but it is limited tactics if you can only play one way. He needs to be more open minded. Cant realy rate him as too many factors play a part i.e. poor player performances and lack of motivation.

Maybe we shouldn't have played him for 90 minutes in Russia three days ago.

Yeah, I thought he looked exactly like he did during congested fixture runs last season. Low on intensity, didn't press as much, sat back a lot etc.

He's started all our league games and both EL group games this season.

It was a terrible performance but ill be honest with you - we have been getting away with that type of performance. I think we have flattered to decieve barring one or two games. Im comfortable with our set up away from home.

Which performances in particular have we been 'getting away with it' ?

Which performances in particular have we been 'getting away with it' ?

Are we just talking about this season? Because I talk about the whole term.

Put it this way - there is no consistency in how we play - we yo yo. One moment looking unbeatable and next we look shocking. So its not about 'getting away with it' but about 'flattering to decieve'

ps - I think against Palace they deserved a draw - we werent good. Chelscum - they hammered us. Against Swansea we were poor (but wouldnt say we got away with it as they were poor too).

i disagree mate, think our points total reflects our performances so far as accurately as possible.

i agree with the yo yo ing comment though, but personally i can attribute that to factors such as the high turnover of players both this summer and last

Back