• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Saudi Sportswashing Machine

thought we controlled the game pretty well in the first half, without Modric funnily enough - Saudi Sportswashing Machine aren't a mug side and are certainly not a side we can expect to control on their own pitch - there were plenty of games with Modric in the side last season which we didn't control, so i think it's just an easy thing to say at the moment tbh

thought we controlled the game pretty well in the first half, without Modric funnily enough - Saudi Sportswashing Machine aren't a mug side and are certainly not a side we can expect to control on their own pitch - there were plenty of games with Modric in the side last season which we didn't control, so i think it's just an easy thing to say at the moment tbh

agree with this. Where we really fell down was in the last third of the pitch. The crossing was dire.

i remember an interview with him last season where he basically said he feels he's a 'starter' and should start every game... hope theres no problem

Tbh VdV is more than good enough to start for us, if he isn't then any agitation on his side is more than justified.

Obviously not saying he deserves to start every game, but he won't stay here to be a bench player behind Gylfi. Might aswell sell him and reinvest the money rather than have him unhappy on the bench

Walker has no technique. Watch our next game, if he gets closed down, he either does that stupid feint, or he rolls the ball backwards. Not too bright either, in the football smarts department.

Kyle Walker is a certain starter for us, but christ is he not a good defender. He will cost us a lot this season defensively so he better start actually creating some chances offensively to conteract this.

I wonder, just wonder, if he might be able to work on these elements of his game, what with him being so young and all.......

Wish we wrote off all our young full backs so early in their careers, damn travesty we never shipped Bale out to Forest when we could have

None whatsoever, just a feeling. Not that he will be missed considering how some talk about him. Seriously though that Modric wasn't playing is a major loss. Need this situation resolved so we can bring in a suitable replacement.

Just have to wait and see, a long, long time to go. Maybe the AVB project will fail, maybe it will fall flat on its face. But maybe it will take off at WHL, with Bale playing a key role.

Bale was very happy at the club last I heard and he signed a new contract barely two months ago. There's plenty more midfields than Modric, who knows maybe we might unearth a gem? And maybe there's all alternative to the system we played around him.

We've still got a damn good side with bags of potential, and still have an exciting and ambitious project.

Just have to wait and see, a long, long time to go. Maybe the AVB project will fail, maybe it will fall flat on its face. But maybe it will take off at WHL, with Bale playing a key role.

Bale was very happy at the club last I heard and he signed a new contract barely two months ago. There's plenty more midfields than Modric, who knows maybe we might unearth a gem? And maybe there's all alternative to the system we played around him.

We've still got a damn good side with bags of potential, and still have an exciting and ambitious project.

Sorry was a silly post on my part, just frustration. We played okay today, certainly had our chances especially in the first half. Just feel AVB has been left with such glaring weaknesses despite our potential. We are a few players short of an excellent team yet we have started the season with a real lack of clarity. I truly hope Levy resolves this situation rapidly.

Sorry was a silly post on my part, just frustration. We played okay today, certainly had our chances especially in the first half. Just feel AVB has been left with such glaring weaknesses despite our potential. We are a few players short of an excellent team yet we have started the season with a real lack of clarity. I truly hope Levy resolves this situation rapidly.

To be honest mate I'm still carrying the frustration of last season! Would be a terrible shame if we finished 7th this year, 8th the next, Bale left, AVB sacked, it all just fizzles out, and we are left thinking what could have been. So I just think we have to press on, look at the positives - of which there are plenty - and learn from the mistakes.

The squad is good enough - even if Modric goes - bar the lack of strikers. But clearly AVB is aware of this and its just taking a while to get the right players in..... he has mentioned it in his interviews, pretty much. We screwed up a few seasons ago when we were left with Bent, half fit Pav and some useless YTS from Man U. I think we'll learn from that, I think we will have one forward good enough to lead the line, probably Adebayor, and possibly one good young prospect. At worst it'll be Ade, Defoe, Kane, but I would be very surprised.

Krul 6
Simpson 7
Perch 6
Taylor 6
Santon 7
Cabaye 5
Tiote 7
Jonas 8
Ben Arfa 8 best player on the park by a long distance
Ba 8
Cisse 6

So much for giving people/manager a chance to settle/adapt

My view

- Without Modric/Ade/King/Parker (4 of our best players from last season), we controlled far more of the game in midfield (Cabaye/Tiote struggled) than I expected, and Barcodes lost the ball a lot.
- The AVB influence was definitely seen in the pressing game, extremely effective in 1st half
- No surprise our front line was weak point, JD had a decent game, but the combination JD +support midfielder hasn't clicked yet.

Thought both FBs were far less effective, Walker just had off game (similar to preseason), Benny seemed quiet.

RE people's comments around VDV, VDV was injured in preseason, his first game back was Holland international, made sense he started off bench. Felt he played ala Modric sometimes, a bit deep.

Someone earlier posted good synopsis, performance = decent, result = unlucky

Last edited:
Bottom line is we've already dropped more points against Saudi Sportswashing Machine than last year. Next 4 are now must win games.

Bottom line is we've already dropped more points against Saudi Sportswashing Machine than last year. Next 4 are now must win games.

We also played Saudi Sportswashing Machine without two of our best players last year. Judge AVB when he can play a Modric equivalent and a towering centre-forward Ade equivalent.

So much for giving people/manager a chance to settle/adapt

My view

- Without Modric/Ade/King/Parker (4 of our best players from last season), we controlled far more of the game in midfield (Cabaye/Tiote struggled) than I expected, and Barcodes lost the ball a lot.
- The AVB influence was definitely seen in the pressing game, extremely effective in 1st half
- No surprise our front line was weak point, JD had a decent game, but the combination JD +support midfielder hasn't clicked yet.

Thought both FBs were far less effective, Walker just had off game (similar to preseason), Benny seemed quiet.

RE people's comments around VDV, VDV was injured in preseason, his first game back was Holland international, made sense he started off bench. Felt he played ala Modric sometimes, a bit deep.

Someone earlier posted good synopsis, performance = decent, result = unlucky

Nice post. And how many times have we seen a half fit VDV limp off holding his hamstring around half time? A great player to have, but sadly not one you can afford to build a team around.

I take a lot of positives from the performance rather than the result. Our immediate rivals are Arsenal, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Liverpool right now, and the other two have got off to a worse start IMO.

Back