• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rate the Window

Rate the Window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.

If accurate, I agree. 5/10 window which still means a pass.

More depth, no significant upgrade in real quality, didn't address key issue of penetration from centre and right, and doubtful if we managed to be relatively more competitive or for find new ways to play.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Fapatalk
Yeah it’s been ok, nothing more nothing less. The only visible improvement is squad depth which is fine. But we still have no creativity in midfield, (someone like Paqueta would have been great who can play CM aswell as more advanced) which would be of been ok if we have these all singing all dancing marauding wingbacks, but we don’t - especially if Conte genuinely doesn’t feel Spence is ready which I find surprising as he is quality and had Arsenal on toast last season (why the fudge he keeps having to bang on about Spence being a club signing I don’t know, how on earth is that helping Spence?)

One positive that isnt really being talking about is signing Udogie. He is getting really positive reviews this season, looking forward to him coming next season he is going to be exciting….

One positive that isnt really being talking about is signing Udogie. He is getting really positive reviews this season, looking forward to him coming next season he is going to be exciting….
Hopefully Conte is as excited and doesn't banish him to the 'club signing' corner of the training ground:rolleyes:

More depth, no significant upgrade in real quality, didn't address key issue of penetration from centre and right, and doubtful if we managed to be relatively more competitive or for find new ways to play.

You would have to assume that if we had been able to get either of our primary targets for CB that net spend would have been considerably higher.

8 for me.

Richarlson, perisic and bissouma are fantastic signings. The earliness of and strategic approach to our business was unbelievably refreshing

We probably missed out on 2 of our top signings - bastoni and zaniolo. But both are on short contracts so could be revisited in jan. We also covered those spots for the time being without having to spend (Lenglet and Gil)

Loaning rather than selling our 5 dead woods is the big downer, but then no one really had any money to spend.

You would have to assume that if we had been able to get either of our primary targets for CB that net spend would have been considerably higher.
Yes, and that is a key ingredient for success in the Premier league.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

8 for me.

Richarlson, perisic and bissouma are fantastic signings. The earliness of and strategic approach to our business was unbelievably refreshing

We probably missed out on 2 of our top signings - bastoni and zaniolo. But both are on short contracts so could be revisited in jan. We also covered those spots for the time being without having to spend (Lenglet and Gil)

Loaning rather than selling our 5 dead woods is the big downer, but then no one really had any money to spend.

Well if Bastoni and Zaniolo arrives in the next window, I'd rate that one 8/10, not this.

RWB. What a waste over the years.
Sold Walker and missed him.
Sold Trippier.
Sold KWP.
I said at the time we should not buy Doherty, he is not good enough and is old.
I said at the time we should not buy Royal, he is not good enough going forwards.
Spence looks good but Conte deems him too inexperienced.

Dear me, sort it out and buy one decent player here.

I like Doherty and was pleased when signed him.
It didn't work out at first and he really should have been dropped. Then it clicked with kulu and his form really picked up.
Then he gets injured, no one really makes a claim for his spot but he can't seem to get back in the first team.
Considering other players, past and present seem to keep their place regardless of form it does make you wonder.
Obviously the coach has a better idea of what is going on than we do, but I find it all a bit odd.

It didn't work out at first and he really should have been dropped. Then it clicked with kulu and his form really picked up.
Then he gets injured, no one really makes a claim for his spot but he can't seem to get back in the first team.
Considering other players, past and present seem to keep their place regardless of form it does make you wonder.
Obviously the coach has a better idea of what is going on than we do, but I find it all a bit odd.
Conte appears to talk around the Doherty situation. Bit weird. The other factor is I think he has built up big trust in Royal. Which is fair enough to a point. But we all know the downsides of Royal and if you're looking to push the levels up that is one area we (he) certainly can. He has two he can roll the dice with, if he chooses not to, that's on him.

So net spend determines how well your transfer window went? City fans must be calling for their owners heads then as they made a profit.

Would it have been a better window if we paid more each for the 8 players we brought in? Bump that net spend by over paying like chelsea and utd?

I dont disagree however we've got so many games coming up that Doherty will have the chance to convince the manager that he should be first choice. I think there's a good chance that he'll start today. I'd have him starting rather than Royal as he's a more natural WB

There's also an issue around stability. We've signed 10 players in 8 months. That's 40% of our squad.

At some point the balance tips too much and it goes a bit santini/AVB's Beatles. I think we're about right in terms of stable core + short and longer term improvements in the pipeline

Or you could see it as 3 excellent games last February, offset by 2 years of crap. Not saying they 3 games were a complete fluke, just that the jury is still out.

And remember Conte even seems to prefer Moura over him at the moment for whatever reason

Or you could see it as 3 excellent games last February, offset by 2 years of crap. Not saying they 3 games were a complete fluke, just that the jury is still out.

And remember Conte even seems to prefer Moura over him at the moment for whatever reason

I don't have a great memory but I thought it was more than three games!

I wondered if Conte was trying to force Doherty out to Wolves or wherever, but that hasn't transpired, so maybe Doherty is still feeling the injury and only at 95% fitness or whatever i.e. good enough for the bench but not ousting Duracell EverReady Emerson

7.5 out of 10, imo.

Pros -
  • Improved the squad outside the starting eleven.
  • Did our business early, without waiting for sales or deadline-day scrambles.
  • Brought in a couple of kids for the future on top of it in Udogie and Spence.
  • Got a modern-day miracle and actually got ENIC to give us a bit of dosh for once in their miserly 20 years of ownership.

Cons -
  • Didn't really improve the starting eleven outside of Perisic.
  • None of the blokes we got out the door left permanently with the exception of Bergwijn - we'll have to try the whole rigmarole of finding someone to take Ndombele, Lo Celso, Winks et al next year.

So, it's a decent to good window, but we need more to really step up a level - it isn't the 'transformative window' the club were apparently preparing for, that would give Conte 'the squad he needs to challenge on all fronts', as Ali Gold tweeted early on.

For January and the summer, we need to target starters now to push the present starters to the bench - Dier et al replaced with better quality. We're not far off, imo - a better couple of defenders than Dier and Davies and a better right-back than Emerson. But they will cost major money, and we don't have long to use Son and Kane's primes before they start falling away. It's now or never, and January and summer 2023 will, I think, be the deciders as to whether Son, Lloris and Kane go down as trophyless wonders or we actually get over the line.

I bet he's not including the money that's now due for Romero with his transfer being confirmed. And we'll surely have the Kulusevski fee payable next year as well

So net spend determines how well your transfer window went? City fans must be calling for their owners heads then as they made a profit.

Would it have been a better window if we paid more each for the 8 players we brought in? Bump that net spend by over paying like chelsea and utd?
Obviously no.

I'm sure you know a better but tired point could be made if we throw in and compare transfer numbers for Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal.

Anyway if we had an 8/10 transfer window, I surmise we would not be looking for much activity in the mid season window? I say 5/10 because I think we need to dip in strategically in the next window as what we've done is good, but not enough to improve.

Improving means not leaving it to the last game to confirm our top four place again.

Back