• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

QPR ratings

Lloris 7

Walker 6
Verts 7
Dawson 6
Naughton 6

Sandro 5
Dembele 5
Lennon 6
Bale 5

Adebayor 5
Defoe 5

Parker 7
Dempsey 6
Sig 6

Besides not playing Adebayor and maybe starting Caulker instead of Dawson, I can't see what AVB could have done differently as we dominated possession, but didn't create anything. The only chance we had was the result of a long range effort, which Adebayor then missed. Same problems as before really, lack of creativity in the middle and the strikers offered nothing. I'll be gutted if we don't sign a striker. Adebayor is not good enough and off form and Defoe tends to dry up in the second half of the season.

I agree. Parker was one of our best players today. Several good passes and runs going forward and the only one who showed real intensity in his pressing and tackling.

Compared to Dawson and Parker how many good forward passes did our fullbacks contribute today? Or Dembele for that matter who was as poor as I've ever seen him I think. Without good passes from those players it would always be difficult for our wingers and strikers to create something. Force Lennon and Bale to receive poor passes when facing our goal and surrounded and you take them out of the game.

Spot on.

Only turned on after 20 minutes, but I thought we were playing with 10 men entire first half. Only heard Bale mentioned one time all game, in the second half.

Dunno how Naughton is getting all these sevens. So far he's been nothing more than average. He is absolutely clueless when he ends up in the opposition half. Play breaks down completely

Yep. Now that were getting our players back (except Kaboul), I expect AVB to start playing Ekotto and in general, pick our best back four and stick with it from now on.

Lloris 7
Walker 6
Dawson 6
Vertonghen 6
Naughton 6
Lennon 6
Sandro 6
Dembele 4
Bale 5
Adebayor 5
Defoe 6

Parker 7
Dempsey 6
Sigurðsson 6

Lloris -7 another clean sheet, enough said.

Naughton -6.5 (BAE would have given us better balance).
Vertonghen -6.5 steady game.
Dawson -6.5 steady game (great saving tackle).
Walker -6.5 steady game.

Bale -6 did not seem up for it today?
Dembele -6 bullied off the ball, stood on the ball.
Sandro -6 Mr Average until he went off.
Lennon -6 (as per Bale).

Adebayor -5 (does he need someone to drive him to the airport?)
Defoe -6.5 tried hard, looked for space, but for Cesar, he would have got on the score sheet!

Subs:

Parker -7.5 only player wanting to drive the entire team forward.
Dempsey -6 not enough guile, Mr Average.
Sigurdsson -6 (as per Dempsey)

AVB -7 should have made the Ade switch earlier.

Fans -7.5 reasonably good, glad all of the managerial songs were about AVB (from lower tier)

Lloris 7 not much to do but a couple of timely interceptions
Walker 5 - Not good defensively and offered nothing going forward
Verts 6 - Solid defensively but poor distribution
Dawson 6 - Nobody to mark, not much positive distribution
Naughton 5 - Not his best game, beaten too often and no forward passes of note
Lennon 5 - Back to the form he showed earlier in the season. Not enough movement off the ball. Only took his man on once in the entire game
Dembele 5 - Worst game in a Spurs shirt, never even attempted to run at them in his usual way
Sandro 6 - Ok before he had to go off
Bale 5 - worst game of the season. never attempted to take his man on once. Poor free kicks
Defoe 6 - not enough movement. Had our two best chances and at least made their keeper work
Ade 4 - Worse than useless. Like playing with 10men. Missed a sitter follow up to Defoes shot. Underlines our need for a new striker.

Dempsey 6 - more lively than Ade (not too difficult)
Parker 6 - Tried to get us moving but not his game really. Too many speculative shots from distance.
Siggi 6 - not much time

AVB 5 Reasonable starting X1 but I would not have had Ade in and Dempsey deserved more than 20 odd minutes. Poor tactics and lack to creativity (back to West Brom, Wigan and Norwich). Not enough movement and running off the ball from Bale, Lennon, Ade and Defoe. Dembele looked unfit. Swopping Bale and Lennon's wings for too long - just didnt work. Has it ever? We never once got down the wings, utilised the full width of the pitch and got in behind them. The team as a whole created diddly squat. Goalie only had to make two/three saves all game. Finally, AVB took too long to make the subs when it clearly wasnt working.

Needs to learn one lesson - WE NEED A NEW STRIKER NOW

Why do you blame AVB when we fail to break teams down? I think just passing it off as "poor tactics" everytime is worthless and cheap.

The problem with creativity stems back to last season aswell when we couldnt break teams down at the Lane under Harry and that was with the likes of VDV and Modric in the side. Harry played the perfect game plan as he knows our strengths and weaknesses so well. From a crtical tactics point of view,i would say is we didnt use the wings very well today and the tempo wasnt there other than the first 20 mins.

I think Levy should have looked at this game and said we're a decent side but we do lack creativity and a decent world class striker if we want to push on and get top 4. Let's hope he can bring in two of either Moutinho, Sneijner, Diamao or Negrado. We are crying out for a couple more world class players in those positions.

Really?

In that case, it is strange that QPR targeted Dawson, in the same way Liverpool targeted Mikel - pressing everyone except him, affording him space and time on the ball because ultimately he loses possession 9 times out of 10.

Really?

In that case, it is strange that QPR targeted Dawson, in the same way Liverpool targeted Mikel - pressing everyone except him, affording him space and time on the ball because ultimately he loses possession 9 times out of 10.

Interesting, your theory that Arry told them to give Daws space. I have often been one of the loudest in the anti-hoofing chorus against Daws but today at least four of his long balls found their target, creating real attacking openings for us near their box. In the context of a game where the opposition so resolutely closed us down and constantly suffocated the lifeblood out of our attackers, this for me was an acceptable return.

Why do you blame AVB when we fail to break teams down? I think just passing it off as "poor tactics" everytime is worthless and cheap.

Because it IS poor tactics. We start slowly - virtually every first half in the PL we are at walking pace. What we need to break down these sort of teams is NOT to sit back and play pat-a-cake football, but to attack teams with verve and enthusiasm. A centre forward who leads the line, wins headers and links up play (scoring occasionally would also help!).

Players need to run off the ball more. Lennon and Bale need to get on the outside of their man. The whole team needs to use the entire width of the pitch. Try and get down the side more not throught the congested middle. Midfielders and full backs should overlap. We dont need to worry so much about the back door when a team is playing 11 behind the ball. Simple tactics. I thought AVB had cottoned on after the first few home matches, but today we slumped right back into our bad old ways.

That, mate, is essentially down to tactics. If we try and fail then so be it, but not to even try is shameful. We were playing a toothless team today, bottom of the league, we should have been giving it a real go. Did we? No.

But we did start the game well, we battered them for 10 minutes and did the same at the start of the 2nd half. How do you know what AVB has told them? Maybe he's told them everything you've just said and it's the players who've failed to carry those instructions out. Basically I'm bored with you saying the same thing everytime we fail to break teams down .. "it's AVB's tactics, all wrong, shocking" when no one even knows what his "tactics" are. At the end of the day it's the players on the pitch, not tactics. If they miss easy chances (Defoe x1 and Adebayor x2) then it's down to them. On the flip side, everytime we win do you commend AVB for his tactics? I'm guessing the answer to that is no.

I'm not sure how AVB is getting the blame for us not having a superstar striker either.

Because it IS poor tactics. We start slowly - virtually every first half in the PL we are at walking pace. What we need to break down these sort of teams is NOT to sit back and play pat-a-cake football, but to attack teams with verve and enthusiasm. A centre forward who leads the line, wins headers and links up play (scoring occasionally would also help!).

Players need to run off the ball more. Lennon and Bale need to get on the outside of their man. The whole team needs to use the entire width of the pitch. Try and get down the side more not throught the congested middle. Midfielders and full backs should overlap. We dont need to worry so much about the back door when a team is playing 11 behind the ball. Simple tactics. I thought AVB had cottoned on after the first few home matches, but today we slumped right back into our bad old ways.

That, mate, is essentially down to tactics. If we try and fail then so be it, but not to even try is shameful. We were playing a toothless team today, bottom of the league, we should have been giving it a real go. Did we? No.

That's not poor tactics, it's poor motivation.

It was an away game where QPR sat back and defended. Our full backs had no space to run past our wingers.

The pitch at QPR is very small.

We didn't worry about the back that much. Sandro, when on, went forward. As did Walker, Parker and Naughton.

Last edited:

It was an away game where QPR sat back and defended. Our full backs had no space to run past our wingers.

We didn't worry about the back that much. Sandro, when on, went forward. As did Walker, Parker and Naughton.

We never got round the back once. Nor did we even try. Did Lennon run at this full back? Did Bale? When did Walker or Naughton get to the bye line? When did Parker or Dembele run past the forwards?

Did we put in a single cross all game?

I call it poor tactics - you might call it poor motivation. Whatever it is, it is down to AVB and the coaches.

Last edited:

I agree. And while disappointing it's very much a case of a visit from the ghost of Tottenham past (sorry about the anachronistic metaphor). We've seen this a lot, it's a lack of winning mentality in my opinion. Difficult to change.

We never got round the back once. Nor did we even try. Did Lennon run at this full back? Did Bale? When did Walker or Naughton get to the bye line? When did Parker or Dembele run past the forwards?

Did we put in a single cross all game?

You can't get round the back if they defend as deep as they did.

Lennon and bale were doubled up on whenever they got the ball so didn't get the opportunity to run at their full backs.

Walker and Naughton didn't get to the bye line, but Naughton is right footed so that would be a silly thing for him to do and Walker sucks at crossing so has likely been told not to do it.

More pressing i thought was the question of why Defoe was coming so deep all the time. You can handle one striker who wanders, but when the second also wanders then you don't have anyone left in the box and the threat you pose is minimal. One of them should stay in the box.

Couple of questions regarding Aaron for those who watched on TV:

1. First half, he fell near their penalty area, looking for a free kick. QPR fans booed him after that, thinking he dived. Was it a dive?

2. The free kick in the second half when Fabio tripped him by the corner of the penalty area. Looked to me as though it must have been very close to being inside the box. Was it in or out?

Thanks.

1)there was definite contact which brought him down for the incident in which the QPR fans boo'd him - iirc it wasn't particularly worthy of a free kick though

2)he tripped over his own feet

But we did start the game well, we battered them for 10 minutes and did the same at the start of the 2nd half. How do you know what AVB has told them? Maybe he's told them everything you've just said and it's the players who've failed to carry those instructions out. Basically I'm bored with you saying the same thing everytime we fail to break teams down .. "it's AVB's tactics, all wrong, shocking" when no one even knows what his "tactics" are. At the end of the day it's the players on the pitch, not tactics. If they miss easy chances (Defoe x1 and Adebayor x2) then it's down to them. On the flip side, everytime we win do you commend AVB for his tactics? I'm guessing the answer to that is no.

I'm not sure how AVB is getting the blame for us not having a superstar striker either.

AVB has (rightly) got the credit when we have been on our recent winning run - even winning the cursed Manager of the Month award.

Why are you (and others) not prepared to allow any legitimate criticism of him at all when he patently gets it wrong. Today, Wigan, Norwich, West Brom to name just a few examples.

To play Ade today ahead of Dempsey was just stupid imo. Major error of judgement.

Back