• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Putin & Russia

Listened to Doomsday watch today . What does a Russia without Putin even look like . Big unknown , there’s a possibility someone even further unhinged than him steps into the vacuum. A liberal democracy is not going to be implanted if he goes . Massive unknowns .

Good listen think it was two episodes back they were discussing it .

My guess is that Russia will be deFederated and balkanised dissolved into irrelevance. Dozens of Ossetias and Chechnyas all finding reasons to fight each other under hard man leaders.

So like 50 little ones rather than one big morass.

My guess is that Russia will be deFederated and balkanised dissolved into irrelevance. Dozens of Ossetias and Chechnyas all finding reasons to fight each other under hard man leaders.

So like 50 little ones rather than one big morass.
That does not sound like a good outcome either . Turbulent times for a long while in that region I’d expect sadly .

Is there any possibility that this latest recruitment surge in Russia helps them sustain new waves of attacks? or does
Ukraine now enough backing and resources etc. to see them off for the foreseeable future?

Is there any possibility that this latest recruitment surge in Russia helps them sustain new waves of attacks? or does
Ukraine now enough backing and resources etc. to see them off for the foreseeable future?

They'll have more men to rape and kill civilians, but they'll be cannon fodder on the front lines.

Essentially the mobilisation has three lots of people as I understand it. I don’t know the splits of course..

a) military professionals with combat experience, especially those with combat experience in Ukraine. Whose contracted terms had expired.

b) ex military professionals without combat experience.

c) people who had completed their years national service.

Whilst none of these people will want to be there, a) and b) should be able to bolster the positions in the battlefield where Russia need more force in short order.

Those people in the c) group are not ready for the front anytime soon.

And the battlefield is getting harder and harder for Russians anyway- it will get worse through winter.

Sweden issues warning of two gas leaks on Nord Stream 1 pipeline

Sweden's Maritime Authority said on Tuesday it had issued a warning of two leaks on the Russian-owned Nord Stream 1 pipeline in Swedish and Danish waters, shortly after a leak on the nearby Nord Stream 2 project was discovered.

"There are two leaks on Nord Stream 1 - one in Swedish economic zone and one in Danish economic zone. They are very near each other," a Swedish Maritime Administration (SMA) spokesperson told Reuters.

The leaks were located northeast of the Danish island Bornholm, the spokesperson said. It was not immediately clear what had caused the leaks.

"We are keeping extra watch to make sure no ship comes too close to the site," a second SMA spokesperson said.

On Monday, Danish authorities asked ships to steer clear of a five nautical mile radius southeast off Bornholm after a gas leak from the defunct Nord Stream 2 pipeline drained into the Baltic Sea.

Later the same day, the operator of the Nord Stream 1 pipeline, which ran at reduced capacity from mid-June before shutting down completely in August, also disclosed a pressure drop on both lines of the Nord Stream 1 gas pipeline.

The Baltic Pipe, a new subsea pipeline delivering Norwegian gas to Poland with an annual capacity of 10 billion cubic metres per day, is due to be inaugurated later on Tuesday.

Ukraine war: Russians flee to border after military call-up https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62996212

bad month for Putin, feels like the tables are really turning and the pressure is on now. Does he have the same authority / respect in Russia that he had 9 months ago? Looks unlikely.

Reactions like this to partial mobilisation were probably expected. Says something about Putin's desperation I think.

What is Putins exit strategy? Or what is the wests plan on how to deescalate and resolve? Because Putin has no where to go. If he’s out he’s as good as dead. So he may as well turn into a fully fledged despot.

Putin and the west need an exit strategy. A way Russia can pull out of Ukraine with some pride intact and a way Putin can be replaced. Millions of peoples freedoms depend on getting this right. In the past we’ve not done too well post wars often leaving nations in a worse state. We pay for the arms but don’t do much to helppick up the pieces.

I don't think Putin has an exit strategy. That's part of the problem. The way he's tried to justify this doesn't really leave much room for an exit strategy.

The West can have an exit strategy, but if that includes Putin getting replaced then Putin won't go for it. If it includes Putin staying in power it will need to be one that Putin can spin internally at least, which will be a hard sell.

A workable exit strategy from the west when dealing with someone like Putin is inherently very difficult I think. Unfortunately I think the logical assumption is that this will continue to drag on. Will depend more on what happens internally in Russia than any exit strategy the west can plan or put in place.

Assuming Putin's desperation increases we can only hope there are limits to how far he will go, or how far he can convince others to follow.

They'll have more men to rape and kill civilians, but they'll be cannon fodder on the front lines.
Some of these new batches of conscripts are getting no training. You read that right NO training, absolutely nothing before they are being shipped out to the front line. They are the very definition of cannon fodder. If you've been in the AFRF before then maybe that is less of an issue but not all have served before.

It's a strange move tbh, seeing as they'd turned off the gas already.
If this war ended and if people wanted Russian gas again it could just flow, now not so easy. And they want to preserve the pipes hence keeping it pressured.

Can't imagine Ukraine would have done this, especially when you consider this - i.e. that two far more obvious targets run right through their own country:

_125941040_a4f71493-1ba6-41ca-8f62-c8ffb2323197.jpg

It's a strange move tbh, seeing as they'd turned off the gas already.
If this war ended and if people wanted Russian gas again it could just flow, now not so easy. And they want to preserve the pipes hence keeping it pressured.
Maybe Ukraine is trying to ensure the gas cannot be turned back on i.e. if Germany goes back and decides to use Russian gas in a years' time? No idea, just speculating.

Maybe Ukraine is trying to ensure the gas cannot be turned back on i.e. if Germany goes back and decides to use Russian gas in a years' time? No idea, just speculating.

No idea either. But imo Ukraine doesn't have the capability for something like this.
It's just very strange to waste hundreds of millions of euros in gas, both were being pressurised with gas to keep from being crushed. Plus the pipelines were some sort of leverage against the EU, but now they go and destroy that little bit of leverage?

Would be interesting to hear from anyone who is in Germany if there'd been any noise about opening them up a bit to get some gas through, trying to avoid potential winter hardships n such.

More likely a Russian power move?

You've sanctioned us. You've publically said no more Russian gas.
Ok, let's call your bluff. Whoops, the pipes got damaged. Sorry, we can't fix it, you've sanctioned us. But remember, we can fix it - we are all powerful Russia.

No idea either. But imo Ukraine doesn't have the capability for something like this.
It's just very strange to waste hundreds of millions of euros in gas, both were being pressurised with gas to keep from being crushed. Plus the pipelines were some sort of leverage against the EU, but now they go and destroy that little bit of leverage?

Would be interesting to hear from anyone who is in Germany if there'd been any noise about opening them up a bit to get some gas through, trying to avoid potential winter hardships n such.

A deep sea diver and two bombs? Apparently the water is only 100m deep there, so it's too shallow for a submarine. So anyone could really have done it.

More likely a Russian power move?

You've sanctioned us. You've publically said no more Russian gas.
Ok, let's call your bluff. Whoops, the pipes got damaged. Sorry, we can't fix it, you've sanctioned us. But remember, we can fix it - we are all powerful Russia.
Russia doing it is the only thing that makes some sense, though not a lot either. This is a show to the west that they can hit undersea pipes and cables if they wish. A few have called it as the work of GUGI, which I never heard of before, but operates a number of mini-subs.

Last edited:
Back