• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Putin & Russia

Azerbaijan are kicking off and shelling Armenia tonight. Presumably as Russia are bleeding out in Ukraine.

Sorry to say I don’t know much about the background to this depressingly long running saga but Armenia are protected by the Russians, and Nagorno Karabakh is the usual flashpoint reported in current affairs.

In addition to those hotspots GB mentions there is of course Russian backed Syria (Poor relations with Turkey)…

Azerbaijan are kicking off and shelling Armenia tonight. Presumably as Russia are bleeding out in Ukraine.

Sorry to say I don’t know much about the background to this depressingly long running saga but Armenia are protected by the Russians, and Nagorno Karabakh is the usual flashpoint reported in current affairs.

In addition to those hotspots GB mentions there is of course Russian backed Syria (Poor relations with Turkey)…

I know it's divide an conquer (so they mess with both sides as benefits them most), but I thought Russia backed the Azerbaijans in the most recent set of clashes. Traditionally they have supported Armenia though.

Nagorno Karabakh is a strange one - it's 100% Armenian population, but a completely isolated enclave within Azerbaijan.

I know it's divide an conquer (so they mess with both sides as benefits them most), but I thought Russia backed the Azerbaijans in the most recent set of clashes. Traditionally they have supported Armenia though.

Nagorno Karabakh is a strange one - it's 100% Armenian population, but a completely isolated enclave within Azerbaijan.

GHod right okay. A real tangle then.

Would love to go to these countries in peaceful times. And Iran. Never going to happen in my lifetime is it.

GHod right okay. A real tangle then.

Would love to go to these countries in peaceful times. And Iran. Never going to happen in my lifetime is it.

I've just been reading more about it. I think the Russians just stood back, rather than switched sides. And the Azeris won because they had much better Turkish tech.

It seems like the new borders are about right on ethnic grounds, but the Armenians are having to deal with ego issues about losing the territories they previously had occupied (with Russian backing). So it maybe looks closer to being at an endpoint than the other frozen conflicts.

I'm the same about Iran. I have a few Iranian friends and love Persian culture and food. It would be great to be able to go there one day.

it was 100% ethnically Armenian only after the ethnic cleansing of the native Azeris who lived there. Which occurred after the first war, within which the Armenians were heavily backed by the Russians

in the latest conflict Russia stood aside mostly, Turkey didn’t get actively involved at least not openly. They supplied drones like they have for Ukraine. There was talk of special forces and tactical support as well but who knows if that happened or not.

That part of the world has been in conflict for centuries, only dominant despot have been able to keep some form of control, new weapon technology allows a few hundred fanatics to cause mayhem and stir up old greivences, I feel real pity for the children born there as they appear doomed to relive the hatred built up there.

That part of the world has been in conflict for centuries, only dominant despot have been able to keep some form of control, new weapon technology allows a few hundred fanatics to cause mayhem and stir up old greivences, I feel real pity for the children born there as they appear doomed to relive the hatred built up there.
Imagine if a few fanatics got hold of drones with weapons, in any country in the world. Could cause mayhem.

Quite significantly the Ukrainians have today taken back the first piece of Luhansk (a town called Bilohorivka). This is important because Putin has always said Luhansk and Donetsk are his absolute minimum aim, so that slipping visibly away from him could be a big blow. It also means the Ukrainians have crossed that Oskil river that the Russians were supposed to have retreated to/tried to establish a new front line at.

The address by Putin due to be given at 6.00pm UK time seems to have been mightily delayed…Here’s hoping he touched something nasty on his door handle.

Ukraine war: Russians flee to border after military call-up https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62996212

bad month for Putin, feels like the tables are really turning and the pressure is on now. Does he have the same authority / respect in Russia that he had 9 months ago? Looks unlikely.

I think if things are in a similar position after winter then he's done, turning off the gas was his last card really. Wonder if anyone would be brave enough to stage a coup.

I think if things are in a similar position after winter then he's done, turning off the gas was his last card really. Wonder if anyone would be brave enough to stage a coup.

The expressions of internal support in the Russian media are increasing shaky. That is the worst sign of all for him.

What is Putins exit strategy? Or what is the wests plan on how to deescalate and resolve? Because Putin has no where to go. If he’s out he’s as good as dead. So he may as well turn into a fully fledged despot.

Putin and the west need an exit strategy. A way Russia can pull out of Ukraine with some pride intact and a way Putin can be replaced. Millions of peoples freedoms depend on getting this right. In the past we’ve not done too well post wars often leaving nations in a worse state. We pay for the arms but don’t do much to helppick up the pieces.

Listened to Doomsday watch today . What does a Russia without Putin even look like . Big unknown , there’s a possibility someone even further unhinged than him steps into the vacuum. A liberal democracy is not going to be implanted if he goes . Massive unknowns .

Good listen think it was two episodes back they were discussing it .

Back