• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

PS4 or Xbox One

I know what you mean. I've been looking through all the TV's on option and it's a minefield. If you want the best response gaming then Sony is the best place to go as their gaming mode offers very small latency times. Samsung make good sets too but it is in that one area where they fall behind Sony.

Do you notice this though?
I've been gaming for 30 years on different tvs and monitors . Never noticed a delay, so it sounds like a meaningless stat

This article sums it up quite nicely.

http://www.cnet.com/news/input-lag-how-important-is-it/

It really isn't the be all and end all for a lot of games, only FPS titles whereby there could be a delay between when you the enemy appears and when your TV actually displays them. From the sets I looked at the Sony's tend to come in between 13 and 22ms and the Samsungs around the 45ms mark and really thats only a few frames. Unfortunately the trend seems to be low input lag = poor motion stability, so ultimately there's some tradeoff. I think only those who get really competitive on FPS online titles will trade picture quality for really low input lag.

Last edited:
Was very close to buying a PS4 from German Amazon (so much cheaper and sometimes ships from the UK) but I'm not sure I need one... I don't have much gametime but I want to connect it to my projector and play footie games OR have games that my littlun can enjoy. The missus almost bought it for my birthday (today) but I prefer to spend that money on a nice CSC (camera)...

I did consider a slim PS3 when my PS3 got YLOD but I'd prefer to go futureproof...

This article sums it up quite nicely.

http://www.cnet.com/news/input-lag-how-important-is-it/

It really isn't the be all and end all for a lot of games, only FPS titles whereby there could be a delay between when you the enemy appears and when your TV actually displays them. From the sets I looked at the Sony's tend to come in between 13 and 22ms and the Samsungs around the 45ms mark and really thats only a few frames. Unfortunately the trend seems to be low input lag = poor motion stability, so ultimately there's some tradeoff. I think only those who get really competitive on FPS online titles will trade picture quality for really low input lag.

I would have thought those that cared that much about FPS wouldn't bother with consoles but use PCs with gaming graphic cards and also gaming monitors!

Was very close to buying a PS4 from German Amazon (so much cheaper and sometimes ships from the UK) but I'm not sure I need one... I don't have much gametime but I want to connect it to my projector and play footie games OR have games that my littlun can enjoy. The missus almost bought it for my birthday (today) but I prefer to spend that money on a nice CSC (camera)...

I did consider a slim PS3 when my PS3 got YLOD but I'd prefer to go futureproof...

Happy Birthday :D

A PS4 would suit you to some extent, though depends on your projector resolution. For your kid though there arent many child friendly games, best off with the PS3.

I would have thought those that cared that much about FPS wouldn't bother with consoles but use PCs with gaming graphic cards and also gaming monitors!

I would be one of those, but there are quite a few titles on consoles I'd like to play and the option is either a new TV and console or building a decent gaming PC.

I hadn't thought about the child aspect - I suspect the Xbox probably has more games of that mature, especially Kinect based ones.

Happy Birthday :D

A PS4 would suit you to some extent, though depends on your projector resolution. For your kid though there arent many child friendly games, best off with the PS3.

Thanks buddy :)

It's a Optoma HD200X which is 1080p (can't believe how much it's price has dropped!). That's the impression I got about the PS4 which is why I've held off.

I think I'll be able to afford either of the new gen consoles within the next couple of months. I'm really struggling to pick between the two but think I'd prefer to stick with the Xbox as I have a weird obsession with their achievements system (the PS3 trophy system was no much IMO!) and I still have 7 months of Xbox Live membership left, if it does indeed carry over.

The only thing putting me off the Xbox is this bizarre thing where the Xbox searches for a internet connection once every 24 hours. My internet modem only has one socket so I have to change the wire over to play online and the wire spends most of it's time in the computer. What happens if it can't find the internet connection?

I think I'll be able to afford either of the new gen consoles within the next couple of months. I'm really struggling to pick between the two but think I'd prefer to stick with the Xbox as I have a weird obsession with their achievements system (the PS3 trophy system was no much IMO!) and I still have 7 months of Xbox Live membership left, if it does indeed carry over.

The only thing putting me off the Xbox is this bizarre thing where the Xbox searches for a internet connection once every 24 hours. My internet modem only has one socket so I have to change the wire over to play online and the wire spends most of it's time in the computer. What happens if it can't find the internet connection?

You can get a switch for less than £10 in Norway, so I'd guess you can get them pretty cheap over there aswell. If you can afford a xbone/ps4, you can probably afford one of those aswell. That way you can connect both your computer and your console.

You can get a switch for less than £10 in Norway, so I'd guess you can get them pretty cheap over there aswell. If you can afford a xbone/ps4, you can probably afford one of those aswell. That way you can connect both your computer and your console.

Thanks mate, will look into this but I do also disconnect the wire which runs into my bedroom to go on my laptop when I want to watch something before I go to sleep (no, not pawn... well not most of the time... well yes most of the time... OK for pawn).

What are the actual repercussions if the xbox can't find the connection though? Is there an explosion? Does the Xbox never work again? Do I have to ring up Microsoft and say 'I was watching pawn you whackers now get my xbox working again'?

I got the xbox one, and don't get me wrong, the games are great. I just feel a little cheated that new games are still being made for the 360.
If I had of known this at the time I'd of probably waited instead of buying one on day one

I got the xbox one, and don't get me wrong, the games are great. I just feel a little cheated that new games are still being made for the 360.
If I had of known this at the time I'd of probably waited instead of buying one on day one

And £20 cheaper too.

Considering the leaps in gadgetry the last 5 years it really remains to be seen whether a new console was/is needed. Even when they did, the Graphics cards used were no where near the expected spec that I would have thought was needed... to be game changers.. on the ratings systems online my PC graphic card bought 3/4 years ago is rated above that of the new Consoles (10-20 spots depending on console).

Are the games that much better between consoles (360 to ONE and PS3 to PS4). People bought or at least were expecting IMO on the basis that the change from say Commodore days to console was going to happen.

EDIT Added -

The more and more I think about these two consoles the value in buying them is.. when your 360 or PS3 breaks down (wonders if both will get a software update which will slowly kill your console) and Christmas for kids.

Last edited:
Back