• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Preseason 2018

It’s not the game this evening that has lead to the concern. It’s just it highlighted the fact that the young players are not ready for the step.And as a club we have not addressed the squad problems we have with 7 days till new season.

My post was in reply to the wailing and nashing of teeth in this thread.

People saying the youngsters aren’t ready need to remember that the youngsters who have shined in the friedlies would be playing with players like Kane and eriksen... not their peers or inferior players in the first 11

And i think some do not accept/understand that some of these kids have played 4 games in two weeks, travelled long distances as well. Its a big deal for youngsters making their first team games for a massive club like Spurs and it is not always easy for them to play well under that pressure.

Any reading anything from these efforts are not being fair and jumping to conclusions.

And i think some do not accept/understand that some of these kids have played 4 games in two weeks, travelled long distances as well. Its a big deal for youngsters making their first team games for a massive club like Spurs and it is not always easy for them to play well under that pressure.

Any reading anything from these efforts are not being fair and jumping to conclusions.

I’d look at the fact City lost to Girona last season in a pre season game... then didn’t panic

Last edited:
It actually looked like a waste of time and what was really bloody annoying a waste of money for some of our fans.
But that can’t be something the club can really control the fans have to make thier own judgments.

For the most part I think we have to leave it late because we have to wait and see what the big boys are going to do as we can’t compete with them financially and then only after that can we make our moves. Not convinced it’s left late just so that Levy can save a couple of £m....

I'm not sure about that. There's enough deals done earlier in the market that we could have done our business earlier. For example, Fred wouldnt have been out of our price range nor an obvious player that someone like Man U would have gone for. Had we called in June could we hvae tied him up? Nainggolan: experienced leader who we could have got; would have added winning mentality. Plus various others

I simply don't accept that we can't sign players earlier just because those players are holding on for a call from Man C, Man U

For the most part I think we have to leave it late because we have to wait and see what the big boys are going to do as we can’t compete with them financially and then only after that can we make our moves. Not convinced it’s left late just so that Levy can save a couple of £m....

This is exactly right.

I think part of it, say with Grealish, is to see who blinks first. But he won’t be a first 11 player and there’s no way we should be paying 40 or anything near to that for him, so it’s right that we wait.

But he’s shown with players like Sanchez that it isn’t about going to the wire, it’s just about making the move when clubs with more money can’t offer him more first 11 football as well. And the early window has hampered most of the top clubs this summer because they haven’t been able to shift players, like we haven’t, and it’s slowed everything down.

This idea that Levy is deliberating holding back funds is just nonsense. You’d think after years of knowing how he operates, we’d be able to have a clear picture. But also years of clear progression mean that he would get the trust he deserves.

I’d look at the fact City post to Girona last season in a pre season game... then didn’t panic
I don’t think anyone is overly bothered about losing a pre season game to Girona poorly, the concern is our preparation in general. Most of the first team aren’t In Training until next week, we haven’t strengthened our squad at all etc I think those things are why people are worried, and certainly not issues City had last season....

I'm not sure about that. There's enough deals done earlier in the market that we could have done our business earlier. For example, Fred wouldnt have been out of our price range nor an obvious player that someone like Man U would have gone for. Had we called in June could we hvae tied him up? Nainggolan: experienced leader who we could have got; would have added winning meteorology. Plus various others

I simply don't accept that we can't sign players earlier just because those players are holding on for a call from Man C, Man U

But you have no idea ( and neither have i) if either Fred or Nainggolan were players we were interested in, so i am not sure what point there is in assuming ( example) they were players we missed out on. You keep saying we have/may have missed out on this/that player when in all honesty unless you believe in the wanabees who spout their ITK to the gullible fans then its guesswork on your/out part.

It actually looked like a waste of time and what was really bloody annoying a waste of money for some of our fans.
But that can’t be something the club can really control the fans have to make thier own judgments.

Bingo, i stopped going to pre season games years back and the reason being they are nothing more then training games and i spend enough going to regular game when they is something at stake.

I don’t think anyone is overly bothered about losing a pre season game to Girona poorly, the concern is our preparation in general. Most of the first team aren’t In Training until next week, we haven’t strengthened our squad at all etc I think those things are why people are worried, and certainly not issues City had last season....

I just think people forget what we already have and pine for any player to be brought

It’s the normal negative Tottenham fan style

Jesus I know it was a friendly and completely meaningless but we were abysmal. We gave the ball away so many times it was embarrassing. And we did it in dangerous areas too. I’ve rarely seen such a pathetic performance from a team of professionals and I hope we aren’t relying on too many of them as the season progresses.

But you have no idea ( and neither have i) if either Fred or Nainggolan were players we were interested in, so i am not sure what point there is in assuming ( example) they were players we missed out on. You keep saying we have/may have missed out on this/that player when in all honesty unless you believe in the wanabees who spout their ITK to the gullible fans then its guesswork on your/out part.

Agreed, no idea about Fred or Naingollan, but also don't have a scouting network working for me!! They were just random example players who I could think of who were on wages which we'd pay and fees which were do-able.

To correct your post: I dont believe I keep saying 'we have missed out on this/that player at all' - happy to be corrected if you can find many posts along those lines from me, but I dont think you will at all. I dont think I have ever said that. I do think our strategy is highly risky in leaving in late though - our strategy falls over if one player suddenly doesnt want to join, or if there is a knock-on effect of another deal not happening, or if someone misses a flight for a medical, or...or...or. Just very risky...

I just think people forget what we already have and pine for any player to be brought

Yeah you’re not far wrong but I do understand the concerns. I can’t recall us approaching a season that feels like we are so underprepared for in a lot of ways. No need to hit the panic button yet but can’t pretend there aren’t issues that need addressing....

Agreed, no idea about Fred or Naingollan, but also don't have a scouting network working for me!! They were just random example players who I could think of who were on wages which we'd pay and fees which were do-able.

To correct your post: I dont believe I keep saying 'we have missed out on this/that player at all' - happy to be corrected if you can find many posts along those lines from me, but I dont think you will at all. I dont think I have ever said that. I do think our strategy is highly risky in leaving in late though - our strategy falls over if one player suddenly doesnt want to join, or if there is a knock-on effect of another deal not happening, or if someone misses a flight for a medical, or...or...or. Just very risky...

Fair enough i will take your word on that( as i have no time to search through posts) but if you have not there are others who have and its usually the same story we could have had him, or him,or him etc.

Its the same old story Levy should/could, have done this that and the other and its all gonad*s because i will say again no one knows the reasons we do what we do except Levy. If fans think Levy should spend more money, sign players earlier well that is there right of course, but when/if he does not all this flimflam about Levy playing games, not caring etc etc etc is rubbish BECAUSE no one here know the real reason.

Thankfully those type of fans are diminishing more as the years go by, the problem now is that we have come so far compered with where we were these fans seem to think the next step should be easy, its not and as long as teams like City and Liverpool can through money around it is going to be hard to push further.

with young players i am sure they are good enough but you cant bring them all in at the same time they need experience around them it is why the ideal is to bring 2-3 players through a season over the course of the season.

The team out there also looked like a very young team.

Fair enough i will take your word on that( as i have no time to search through posts) but if you have not there are others who have and its usually the same story we could have had him, or him,or him etc.

Its the same old story Levy should/could, have done this that and the other and its all gonads because i will say again no one knows the reasons we do what we do except Levy. If fans think Levy should spend more money, sign players earlier well that is there right of course, but when/if he does not all this flimflam about Levy playing games, not caring etc etc etc is rubbish BECAUSE no one here know the real reason.

I’ve asked the question on a few different forums - who should we sign? Who are we missing out on by going this slow? And I’ve heard that point - that fans don’t have a scouting network so why should they know. But we’re at a point now where anyone that improves our first 11 is probably going to be known. They aren’t going to come from out of nowhere. So who should it be? I’ve now heard Nainngolan, Pascal Gross, Cook, many others and all fine players but not obvious improvements. Once our injuries and WC players are back, we will look like we have the deep squad that we do.

The Fred example above - the point is that if we make a bid, and their agent knows that a club with more money than us has previously registered an interest, and they have a gap for that player in their first 11, the agent is going to alert that club. It will happen like clockwork, and we can’t compete with that if a rival can offer first 11 football and more money. We can compete with that if a rival can only offer money but not first 11 football because they’ve filled up in that position, so that’s when we make our move. It’s about being clever, patient, and being capable of understanding all of the moving parts. And it’s one of the reasons we have been able to consistently overachieve.

Levy deserves more trust, just like Poch does.

Back