• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Preseason 2014

I think we're playing these teams in the wrong order. Seattle are runaway leaders in their division, these guys are just poor.

A few more 3-point conversions for Chicago might get them into the playoffs.

Considering how their team fperformed in the World Cup compared to England, I don't think we have the moral authority to make fun of their strange football lingo, to be honest. :) Like with everything else, the US will overtake England in football sooner rather than later: it's inevitable. So we'd better get used to 'endzones' and 'three point conversions' becoming standard fare.

Didn't get to see the game. Who were our best players? Who was poor? What were the youngsters like? How were the goals?

Happy that Lennon scored, played well against Toronto.

Considering how their team fperformed in the World Cup compared to England, I don't think we have the moral authority to make fun of their strange football lingo, to be honest. :) Like with everything else, the US will overtake England in football sooner rather than later: it's inevitable. So we'd better get used to 'endzones' and 'three point conversions' becoming standard fare.

I don't think it is inevitable by any means.

It's all about the money being pumped into the game the EPL is strong because of the sky cash. If it went elsewhere it wouldn't be to the USA , they have enough sports.

We could get over taken by anyone of three European leagues in the future but not the MLS

I have to disagree with that assessment. In the first half he was moving the ball well and intelligently as well as covering in front of the defenders. He's in constant motion too, showing for the ball all the time. This is in complete contrast to his first preseason game against the Sounders where he was static and not involved.

With Capoue I have to remind myself that he is playing well when the opposition is poor. It was the same last season, when he played Crystal Palace and Swansea at the start of the season looked solid. But when he came up against the quick passing of Arsenal he looked cumbersome and the game rather passed him by. He was similarly poor against the other Top 4 sides. Maybe Poch will get the best out of him but I wouldn't read too much in pre season. I still hope we can bring in schneiderlin to play alongside Sandro if necessary.

Didn't get to see the game. Who were our best players? Who was poor? What were the youngsters like? How were the goals?

Happy that Lennon scored, played well against Toronto.

The players looked fatigued. We were nowhere near as good as we were against Toronto. The pressing was less evident after 20 minutes and when in possession, we lacked passing options. Mason and Capoue both completed 90 minutes. With Davies playing 20 minutes at LB and 25 minutes at CB alongside Dawson (Fredericks on for Veljkovic). Keller pointed out that when we work the ball to the striker in a channel, we don't get enough players in the box for when he crosses, evident on a couple of occasion's when Kane did cross into an empty box.

1st half: Only Lamela and Mason really impressed me. Townsend picked the ball up in some dangerous positions on the break but he dribbled across the pitch and then down into a corner. Kane did OK but nothing exceptional. Rose with a few standard hacks at his opposite number got a yellow card and seriously looked in a mood.

2nd half: Eriksen looked to be playing at half pace again. Holtby had an hour run out and we looked a little worse once he was off imo. Davies, Naughton and Fredericks looked way better going forward than Walker and Rose although this could be for various reasons. Those three seemed to be in better positions for the man with the ball to pass to, Fredericks especially. Mason again impressed with some of his passing. Left or Right foot, it didn't seem to matter. Capoue grew into the game, but still showed the odd poor touch/pass. Lennon goal really was a great bit of football. Soldado and he created it from barely anything.

Youngsters
---------------
Mason looked really good in there and a lot of our best play came from when he switched play quickly. He also seems to have a nice little burst of pace, sometimes just knocking the ball past his man and strolling onto it.
Veljkovic was less impressive. The lad certainly isn't good with players running at him. Good distribution from the back though.
Fredericks was good going forward, but not so convincing when in defence.
McGee came on with about 10 minutes to play. The lad had nothing to do, but does look at home when passing the ball about.
Falque I didn't really notice.

All in all, I'd say it's gonna be a rocky few months. I guess we expected that but I think people need to be prepared for some mistakes and frustration when going forward.

Last edited:
The players looked fatigued. We were nowhere near as good as we were against Toronto. The pressing was less evident after 20 minutes and when in possession, we lacked passing options. Mason and Capoue both completed 90 minutes. With Davies playing 20 minutes at LB and 25 minutes at CB alongside Dawson (Fredericks on for Veljkovic). Keller pointed out that when we work the ball to the striker in a channel, we don't get enough players in the box for when he crosses, evident on a couple of occasion's when Kane did cross into an empty box.

1st half: Only Lamela and Mason really impressed me. Townsend picked the ball up in some dangerous positions on the break but he dribbled across the pitch and then down into a corner. Kane did OK but nothing exceptional. Rose with a few standard hacks at his opposite number got a yellow card and seriously looked in a mood.

2nd half: Eriksen looked to be playing at half pace again. Holtby had an hour run out and we looked a little worse once he was off imo. Davies, Naughton and Fredericks looked way better going forward than Walker and Rose although this could be for various reasons. Those three seemed to be in better positions for the man with the ball to pass to, Fredericks especially. Mason again impressed with some of his passing. Left or Right foot, it didn't seem to matter. Capoue grew into the game, but still showed the odd poor touch/pass. Lennon goal really was a great bit of football. Soldado and he created it from barely anything.

Youngsters
---------------
Mason looked really good in there and a lot of our best play came from when he switched play quickly. He also seems to have a nice little burst of pace, sometimes just knocking the ball past his man and strolling onto it.
Veljkovic was less impressive. The lad certainly isn't good with players running at him. Good distribution from the back though.
Fredericks was good going forward, but not so convincing when in defence.
McGee came on with about 10 minutes to play. The lad had nothing to do, but does look at home when passing the ball about.
Falque I didn't really notice.

All in all, I'd say it's gonna be a rocky few months. I guess we expected that but I think people need to be prepared for some mistakes and frustration when going forward.

Thanks Cochise, I guess Poch would have expected tiredness tbh. Three games in a week, travelling to three different cities in North America, training at a high standard, new pressing game etc. Get a weeks rest now before Celtic and he gets the WC lads back this week too. Interesting that Davies went centre half, wonder if he could potentially see him play there as a fourth choice centre half?

Really glad to see Mason impress, he's always had something about him. Whenever he's been out on loan he's got rave reviews and then goes and gets injured. Could he potentially be Pochs 'Lallana' ? Did he play further forward? or deep alongside Capoue again? Regarding Lamela, no goals but did he get involved a lot? Play predominantly on the right, or was he central?

Interesting regarding Eriksen, has he been out injured? Is he not rated too highly? I see from comments on here that he played on the right again? - Seen the goals, good stuff from Lennon, always confident with him when it comes to getting himself in 1 on 1 positions.. Soldado now has 1 goal and 3 assists in 3 games. Goal being a penalty. Hope he starts banging them in from open play.

disappointed to hear about Veljkovic. Looked composed against both Seattle and Toronto. Could be because he was alongside Kaboul against Toronto, not sure. Still yet to concede with him on the pitch at centre half though.

I think itll certainly be a transitional few months, I just hope the WHL faithful get this into mind and dont start turning on him or the team. Hopefully sees us up and running for a real strong second half. Much like AVBs second half. Onwards and upwards I say.

I think that we've been working on movement off the ball and passing accurately. Doesn't always work but it'll come. Lamela in that no. 10 role with Eriksen and Lennon either side and Soldado/ Adebayor as the lone striker could work. I'm still concerned that Soldado isn't cut out for the prem.

What impressed me more than anything else in this game was just how many Spurs fans were there - not just in the main group but all over the stadium, in among the Chicago fans.

Fan base is definitely growing. Well done, yanks (and canucks!).

Loved hearing their Aaron Lennon song, too. Not the dreary "One Aaron Lennon" or (my preference) "Aaron...Aaron Lennon...Aaron Lennon on the wi-ing". But just "Aaron Lennon" repeated over and over in the style of the common American chant, "Let's go...(insert name of team here)". Quite endearing, really!

Mason stayed in the same role as he did against Toronto, the deep play maker. He took up the LB area when Davies/Rose pushed on as he has done before, but it was his passing from central position's that really impressed. His passing was so crisp. Every one seemed just perfectly measured and weighted to fall right into the stride of the full back/midfielder. Lamela seemed to have a free role, picked the ball up all over the place, though more central I'd guess.

Exactly. How long before these pre season USA 'tours' become more important than the domestic competitions if the Sherman tanks get a real taste for it.

Back