• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poll: Which should be our first-choice CB partnership?

Which should be our first choice CB pairing?

• Vertonghen/Gallas

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Vertonghen/Caulker

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Vertonghen/Kaboul

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • Vertonghen/Dawson

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Gallas/Caulker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gallas/Kaboul

• Gallas/Dawson

• Kaboul/Dawson

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Kaboul/Caulker

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Kaboul/Gallas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Vertonghen may have the ability to be a good LB, but he hasn't shown any interest in it when played there. Gets too far forward and doesn't retreat (which is, admittedly, exacerbated by the fact that Bale hasn't been tracking back as much). Before injury, BAE would be my CLEAR choice at starting LB between the two...it's not really close.

I think left back is a position we need to look to upgrade, or at least make more solid. Bale works hard going forward and finding space, but his work rate defensively needs to be improved. This puts a big responsibility on the left back, and ideally we need a non-adventurous solid supporting full back just to back Bale up. Ekotto is more than a little eccentric, and Vertonghen is a centre half being played out of position. Defensively in the left back position Vertonghen simply isn't very good but is good going forward. If he played behind a work horse that cuts infield like a James Milner, that may be OK. But behind Bale it's simply not a good combination.

on the Verts vs BAE LB discussion - i do think BAE is better. he has a better ability to recover when he gets in a mess and people get in behind him.

Verts is certainly a better defender and tidier passer. Also takes less risks than BAE.

But BAE is better going forwards, offers better shape imho.

I actually think Verts is perfectly suited to being one of the forward thinking CB's in a back 3 (im NOT saying we should go 3 at the back!! It very rarely works!)

Vertonghen is better going forward see his goal vs united for proof.

BAE is ok nothing more.

I definitely think Verts is better going forward than Ekotto. He gets into better positions and has a better final third decision making. But he overlaps Bale too much and doesn't have Benny's pace to get back.

To be honest it's a nice headache to have. Any out of Verts, Caulker and Kaboul could easily fill those two CB spots.

We still need a decent backup for Bae imo (Taking verts away from his best position is not the solution), and the right back issue is becoming much more of an issue.

I still think it's a shame we sold CorlukaStalteri.

Diesel powah! You may think I'm kidding, but he's the best RB we've had in the last 10 years. FACT! African will vouch for this.

Vertonghen is better going forward see his goal vs united for proof.

BAE is ok nothing more.

This seems a pretty arbitrary use of "proof" to back up your opinion. Yeah, great run, ball went in the net. That's not my main concern when choosing a LB. BAE seems to have better defensive positioning deployed out there than Vertonghen. Also, if we are using random pieces of nothingness that serve an argument, I would say, "BAE is great going forward...just look at his goal vs. Everton as proof." If I ACTUALLY wanted to back up my argument, however, I would have to do a little research and back up my assumption that BAE got in more crosses from LB per match than Vertonghen, and his interplay with Bale is better. Not to say that Vertonghen isn't a better individual player; I just think BAE is a lot better as our LB. Difference of opinion is all.

Last edited:
This seems a pretty arbitrary use of "proof" to back up your opinion. Yeah, great run, ball went in the net. That's not my main concern when choosing a LB. BAE seems to have better defensive positioning deployed out there than Vertonghen. Also, if we are using random pieces of nothingness that serve an argument, I would say, "BAE is great going forward...just look at his goal vs. Everton as proof." If I ACTUALLY wanted to back up my argument, however, I would have to do a little research and back up my assumption that BAE got in more crosses from LB per match than Vertonghen, and his interplay with Bale is better. Not to say that Vertonghen isn't a better individual player; I just think BAE is a lot better as our LB. Difference of opinion, but try not to be so dismissive, Roy. You can make your opinion known without coming off as arrogant!

I don't care how I come across to be perfectly honest. It's a GHod damn Internet forum everyone says it how they see it move on nothing to see here. BAE is average as I've said before.

You beat me to a reply...I realized my post could be read the same way, so I edited it. Not trying to offend, just wanted to point out differences of opinion.

Jan is a great CB filling in at LB, once Ekotto is fit then he will go back to CB and we will be better off for that.

You beat me to a reply...I realized my post could be read the same way, so I edited it. Not trying to offend, just wanted to point out differences of opinion.

Mate no offence taken its a forum not to be taken too seriously IMO. Differences of opinion are good imagine if we all agreed!

Have to agree I prefer verts at centre back. Left back needs upgrading IMHO.

To be honest i think Ekotto is a very good player, however like every other player if a upgrade is available ( i do not see one though)then i would have no problem getting one, but i do not see LB as a priority to do that.

It's tricky. We've not even seen Kaboul and Verts as a partnership to make that choice.

well the way AVB has gone about things so far suggests to me that even once he is fit he may have to wait a while before getting his chance.

It's tricky. We've not even seen Kaboul and Verts as a partnership to make that choice.

I am not a Kaboul fan personally, but from what I have seen so far of Vertonghen I am definitely not keen on them being a partnership. Vertonghen is cultured and needs a solid stopper alongside him. Kaboul is too eccentric for my tastes and is prone to serious lapses of concentration far too often. Last year I think he was voted our best centre half, but my personal opinion really differed from that.

You make a good point, however i think ( imo) they are our best two CB's and they should be able to adjust their styles to play together.

Back