• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Genuinely curious, how come? What's so bad about them at a general election (Swinson aside).
I don't really think they are bad and to say I don't take them seriously is probably an over reaction, but I have never been wholly convinced. Where I live now and where I lived previously it is/was always the Lib Dems who seemed most active, regular newsletters, more visibility etc. and I feel they are quite effective at local council level.
I don't think Nick Clegg did them any favours in coalition. As for either Jo Swinson or Ed Davey - well, as a party they are definitely lacking in good leadership. I'm not really sure what they stand for nowadays. But right now getting the current incumbents out is the main thing and if voting Lib Dems is what it takes, well, there are worse things I could do. Problem is I live in a very safe Tory seat - the last general election was 70% Tory with the rest pretty equally split Lib/Lab. My dilemma is which is the best tactical vote.

I don't really think they are bad and to say I don't take them seriously is probably an over reaction, but I have never been wholly convinced. Where I live now and where I lived previously it is/was always the Lib Dems who seemed most active, regular newsletters, more visibility etc. and I feel they are quite effective at local council level.
I don't think Nick Clegg did them any favours in coalition. As for either Jo Swinson or Ed Davey - well, as a party they are definitely lacking in good leadership. I'm not really sure what they stand for nowadays. But right now getting the current incumbents out is the main thing and if voting Lib Dems is what it takes, well, there are worse things I could do. Problem is I live in a very safe Tory seat - the last general election was 70% Tory with the rest pretty equally split Lib/Lab. My dilemma is which is the best tactical vote.
Its not really an election for progressives to be picky. Everything has got to be thrown behind Labour this time to ensure the landslide.

Ive never voted for them before (always Green, except Tory in 2019 because of Corbyn's Brexit betrayal), but definitely will this time.

One is incompetent, self-serving and unable to control his party; the other is a serious person, with a long record of distinguished public service, and who has completely changed the direction of his party in under 5 years.

I know which one I hope to wake up and find is Prime Minister on 5th July.
Ive come across Stamer a few times over the years through work. He may be a bit dull, but i always got a strong sense of integrity and decency from him. And ive not felt that about any politician since Benn died.

Its not really an election for progressives to be picky. Everything has got to be thrown behind Labour this time to ensure the landslide.

Ive never voted for them before (always Green, except Tory in 2019 because of Corbyn's Brexit betrayal), but definitely will this time.
I would say vote tactically depending on who might unseat the incumbent tory prick.

Ive come across Stamer a few times over the years through work. He may be a bit dull, but i always got a strong sense of integrity and decency from him. And ive not felt that about any politician since Benn died.

I wouldn't say he has much integrity, changes his policies and views with the wind.

Maybe not as much as before but we'll see in 20 years what the long term impacts will be off people cutting themselves off from society. Yep plenty can be done remotely and it opens people up to more jobs but face to face contact is good and healthy. It's hard to train people up remotely and I know people moving jobs have found it hard to integrate because they can't meet their colleagues.

Plus there's general social mobility to consider, investment in regions outside London would all be helped with greater connectivity.

The UK is also small, it shouldn't be that hard to build one out.
All very good points and I agree about the isolation thing, although conversely I'd hope it (flexible working) would encourage the development of communities again with people working and living in the same place, taking an interest and getting involved in more 'local stuff' .

The other point to consider is priorities.
There are plenty of fires that need putting out, so it's a case of bang for your buck.

We already have a rail network, so people (and workers) can still travel, this is just a 'nice to have' addition. I think, as others have said, it's a project 30 years too late.

Last edited:
Well, well, well. The proposed re introduction of national service tells us a lot about the state of Tory internal polling. It must be as bad, or even worse than the public polling. This is an appeal to the elderly base so as to save the furniture. In that context, this is a welcome development. I wonder what wacky right wing policy from the 50's will be next?

Last edited:
One is incompetent, self-serving and unable to control his party; the other is a serious person, with a long record of distinguished public service, and who has completely changed the direction of his party in under 5 years.

I know which one I hope to wake up and find is Prime Minister on 5th July.
I agree with you. But it was a funny meme

Tony Benn was my hero.

Go to the postal museum in London mate, big bits on him as he was the post master General for a time. Really interesting reading about his life.

Now I know he doesn't want to win :D:eek::D
“It will be mandatory, but there will be no sanction if people don’t participate.” We are into a world of bats hit crazy now. Tomorrow’s Tory policy announcement to centre around monkey tennis.

None of them have integrity anymore
COVID showed that, all more interested in getting their noses in the money trough
I’m not sure how this shapes anyone’s views on Labour, who weren’t in government during covid and had no ‘troughs’ to ‘get their noses in.’

“It will be mandatory, but there will be no sanction if people don’t participate.” We are into a world of bats hit crazy now. Tomorrow’s Tory policy announcement to centre around monkey tennis.
According to James Cleverly this morning if as an 18yo you don't want to do the National Service and opt for the community service instead you can become a temporary firefighter or community police officer. 😂 I am sure the respective heads of the Fire Service and Police Service have been consulted on that one!

Well, well, well. The poprosed re introduction of national service tells us a lot about the state of Tory internal polling. It must be as bad, or even worse than the public polling. This is an appeal to the elederly base so as to save the furniture. In that context, this is a welcome development. I wonder what wacky right wing policy from the 50's will be next?
Bring back good old fashioned 'no blacks, no dogs, no irish' establishments?

When you look at how hard the incumbent parties at Westminster and holyrood are trying to lose the elections you wonder whats coming down the line.
To think of elections past, everyone would campaign with as much energy and focus as possible. Rishi really is giving off vibes that he is really not interested or engaged in the process at all. Going thru the motions. (Hence the short time frame, desperate for July 4th to arrive).

The spewing out of these tinkling in the wind policies, are embarrassing and not for one moment sincere.

Back