• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

After coming off its highs the wholesale gas price is running away with itself the last 3 months. Breaking new highs.

Winter is going to be bleak... across Europe.

Screenshot_2022-08-25-21-46-27-13_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

If you can work from home (anywhere) ...I think a monthly membership at a nice health club could be cost neutral this winter (spend all day there) Or fly off to the southern hemisphere, somewhere nice but cheap (Indonesia).

I did ask my energy supplier, as I am on a renewable energy scheme and all my electricity is supposed to be coming from wind and solar in the UK, why has my tariff has gone up?

Still waiting for an answer

I did ask my energy supplier, as I am on a renewable energy scheme and all my electricity is supposed to be coming from wind and solar in the UK, why has my tariff has gone up?

Still waiting for an answer

It doesn't work like that sadly. It all just gets pooled and pulled from the same grid.

So, nationalisation anyone?

Energy companies are making £15b profit for shareholders on this, while extended families are being forced to move three households into one house so they can afford heating. Welcome to neoliberalism

All for it. Especially water.

You can't change suppliers, you are literally fixed to who supplies you. So... what's the benefit to me, a customer?

But anyway, yes, electricity isn't a nice to have, it's essential for the population and should be nationalised to ensure it's not a profit generator

All for it. Especially water.

You can't change suppliers, you are literally fixed to who supplies you. So... what's the benefit to me, a customer?

But anyway, yes, electricity isn't a nice to have, it's essential for the population and should be nationalised to ensure it's not a profit generator

The whole ethos of the private sector is to generate the biggest profit they can, whilst providing the worst service they can possibly get away with. There’s no incentive to invest in infrastructure (1/4 of all our water leaks away because nothing has been invested since the 1990s) or switching to renewables.

And just morally, how can overseas venture capitalists and pension funds essentially take ownership of our rain?

It’s a bit mad that you are on the hook for it without knowing the cost up front.

This is going to push a massive amount of people into poverty, the PM has fudged off on holiday and the foreign secretary is trying to start a war with France.

Kakistocracy.

So, nationalisation anyone?

Energy companies are making £15b profit for shareholders on this, while extended families are being forced to move three households into one house so they can afford heating. Welcome to neoliberalism
The irony is, there is a massive vote winning opportunity here. When big, front page issues affect the masses, and those issues are ones that should be unthinkable in 2022 Great Britain ie essentials to quality of living, it needs a plan, a rethink, an holistic overview that can pinpoint where we want to be in 10 years.

The argument against is people are fearful it will be a money pit, full of inefficiencies, waste and overspending (akin to the accusations aimed at the NHS). And the quality of politicians in recent times goes no way to eleviating that outlook.

Water, power and food...are the essentials to basic quality of life. Ideally I'd nationalise the lot. (Food...ie big farms). They (Gov) need a reality check on what is important. The sums spent (wasted) in the last few years, on various projects, is staggering. (Eg. F.ck HS2..what's the point of getting to Leeds 20mins quicker?)The money always appears to be there (yes, printed), so let's spend it on something with lasting effect.

No-one in the UK should have a hosepipe ban. Rainwater needs distributing.
No sewage should be discharged into rivers and the sea...build capacity to deal with it.
All sewage should be UV treated.
The energy situation should be seen as great opportunity to move full steam ahead to renewables.
We should increase food production in our own country. Is it not greener/fresher to grow 'locally?' It's not necessary to have NZ lamb or mange tout flown in from Kenya.

We don't need control of everything, just the basic needs of everyone that lives here. And if it's the government that supply/run those basic needs they'll be accountable for 'failing to provide basic needs' at the ballot box, rather than rely on some toothless watchdog to keep private companies in check.

Last edited:
We’ll be looking back this winter at (what is hopefully) the worst of covid thinking how lucky we all were at that point. There is a serious chance that elements of British society are going to break down this winter.

Putin playing the long game pretty successfully at present.

We’ll be looking back this winter at (what is hopefully) the worst of covid thinking how lucky we all were at that point. There is a serious chance that elements of British society are going to break down this winter.

It's his trump card, f.cking around with the nuclear power stations and opening and closing the nordstream valve. Akin to U boats sinking all and sundry in the Atlantic.

The long hot summer really is layering a golden glow across people's minds and faces at the moment....the clocks changing in October, that's when reality will bite.

The irony is, there is a massive vote winning opportunity here. When big, front page issues affect the masses, and those issues are ones that should be unthinkable in 2022 Great Britain ie essentials to quality of living, it needs a plan, a rethink, an holistic overview that can pinpoint where we want to be in 10 years.

The argument against is people are fearful it will be a money pit, full of inefficiencies, waste and overspending (akin to the accusations aimed at the NHS). And the quality of politicians in recent times goes no way to elevating that outlook.

Water, power and food...are the essentials to basic quality of life. Ideally I'd nationalise the lot. (Food...ie big farms). They (Gov) need a reality check on what is important. The sums spent (wasted) in the last few years, on various projects, is staggering. (Eg. F.ck HS2..what's the point of getting to Leeds 20mins quicker?)The money always appears to be there (yes, printed), so let's spend it on something with lasting effect.

No sewage should be discharged into rivers and the sea...build capacity to deal with it.
The energy situation should be seen as great opportunity to move full steam ahead to renewables.
We should increase food production in our own country. Is it not greener/fresher to grow 'locally?' It's not necessary to have NZ lamb or mange tout flown in from Kenya.

We don't need control of everything, just the basic needs of everyone that lives here. And if it's the government that supply/run those basic needs they'll be accountable for 'failing to provide basic needs' at the ballot box, rather than rely on some toothless watchdog to keep private companies in check.

Bit selfish mate. You've not considered the shareholders once in this post.

The argument against is people are fearful it will be a money pit, full of inefficiencies, waste and overspending (akin to the accusations aimed at the NHS). And the quality of politicians in recent times goes no way to elevating that outlook.

It's not like its a radical idea. England is literally the only single country in the world (so 1 out of about 196) that still has privatised water.

Starmer needs to go balls out now and offer the government either a general election or a general strike.

Massive infrastructure reforms on energy and food (nationalisation and domestic self-sufficiency) need to happen instantly. Market forces are as broken as they were in early Covid.

Starmer needs to go balls out now and offer the government either a general election or a general strike.

Massive infrastructure reforms on energy and food (nationalisation and domestic self-sufficiency) need to happen instantly. Market forces are as broken as they were in early Covid.
It's such a shame Starmer doesn't quite do it as a leader. He is 100% someone you'd have as part of the top team running the country....just not as leader.

Back