• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

All nice ideas, but are any of them policies?

We really need to do something, i'm not convinced telling people not to heat their home, or cool it, not to travel, not to drive, not to eat meat, ie focusing in negative messages is going to work.
Those kinds of messages soon turn the public off.

They could be policies or enablers of larger policies.

Advice does nothing that's why action is needed, no one is going to start taking less holidays etc. The above are all things that could be done without upsetting peoples lives, they work around it whilst still making things greener.

Its the fossil fuel PR list to make you think you can do something. It is what theuir politians tell you but it is not THE list, whatever that is. Don't get me wrong, these are all good things that are right to do and will help in a very small way but ultimately they won't amount to a whole lot. We need to think bigger at this point.

And climate change in nothing remotely like healthcare, and infrastructure, etc It is the whole that everything else exists in. You go all in on it or all those other things go up in smoke too.
"The list" goes as follows:

1) Reduce global population

That's it. It's the answer nobody wants to talk about, but it's the only solution.

"The list" goes as follows:

1) Reduce global population

That's it. It's the answer nobody wants to talk about, but it's the only solution.
It's talked about alright. It is number 3 on Project Drawdowns list of best things we could do to get ourselves out of the mess we've made ( or number 7 on their second scenario).

The point I was trying to make, probably badly, is that the changes we need now are systemic in size. The time for tinkling around the edges is over.

It's talked about alright. It is number 3 on Project Drawdowns list of best things we could do to get ourselves out of the mess we've made ( or number 7 on their second scenario).

The point I was trying to make, probably badly, is that the changes we need now are systemic in size. The time for tinkling around the edges is over.
That's true, which makes the population answer the only viable one.

A move to nuclear isn't an ideal or a panacea but it would buy us valuable time.
For my money i don't like the constant negative messages on what we need to be doing but also the constant positive messages about how close technology is to cracking the problems.

I don't think either are helpful.

Population is the difficult one, we regularly cull other animals to "protect the environment", yet we do much much more damage but won't even consider controlling population growth through contraception.

A move to nuclear isn't an ideal or a panacea but it would buy us valuable time.
For my money i don't like the constant negative messages on what we need to be doing but also the constant positive messages about how close technology is to cracking the problems.

I don't think either are helpful.

Population is the difficult one, we regularly cull other animals to "protect the environment", yet we do much much more damage but won't even consider controlling population growth through contraception.
I'm not against nuclear at all. Quite the opposite actually but it makes zero financial sense to build new ones. The cost for the same output provided by renewables is a fraction of the cost of new nuclear. Shutting down existing plants, however, is and was (looking at you Germany) a massive mistake.

I could bang on forever about flaws in environmental messaging, historically and now but I won't bore you. I will say that we don't need any new tech. That's another flimflam delay tactic that people are being sold on. Carbon capture for example will never scale in the timeframe we need it to. It's just another version of saviour syndrome really.

Last edited:
Bit worrying that the real lunatics in the PM field got 122 votes between them. That's probably enough to get one onto the members ballot when the other two get knocked out (i.e. its more than 1/3).

Bit worrying that the real lunatics in the PM field got 122 votes between them. That's probably enough to get one onto the members ballot when the other two get knocked out (i.e. its more than 1/3).

The ERG is already trying to push Bad Enoch and Suella DeVil to merge into the Truss campaign. Can’t work out which of the three would be worse.

The ERG is already trying to push Bad Enoch and Suella DeVil to merge into the Truss campaign. Can’t work out which of the three would be worse.
All 3 would be a mike pence to johnson's trump.

Would be weird if the ERG ended up supporting a remainder against two leavers in the final 3

I'm fairly confident truss will suffer from the tv debates - that tends to happen to vampires in the daylight

All 3 would be a mike pence to johnson's trump.

Would be weird if the ERG ended up supporting a remainder against two leavers in the final 3

I'm fairly confident truss will suffer from the tv debates - that tends to happen to vampires in the daylight

Much further to the right than Johnson, all of them. He wasn’t lying, for once, when he claimed to be a Brexity Hezza - it’s just that he left out the crucial bit about being a devious, venal, sexually incontinent brickweasel.

Net zero will be off the agenda under any of those three, for starters.

Just thinking, tactically the ERG will want at least one of the others in the tv bit, as it will affect the Overton window and make truss appear slightly less nick cage batbrick

Just thinking, tactically the ERG will want at least one of the others in the tv bit, as it will affect the Overton window and make truss appear slightly less nick cage batbrick

They don’t have to worry about that. The Tory party at large will vote for the most rabid rightist on offer. All they need to do is get their woman into the top two.

She is so stupid that she will really struggle. Lest we forget…

They don’t have to worry about that. The Tory party at large will vote for the most rabid rightist on offer. All they need to do is get their woman into the top two.

Sunak has no chance once it goes to the rabid membership. “He’s not British enough” for those lunatics.

She is so stupid that she will really struggle. Lest we forget…

I get the distinct impression you've never met a Conservative party member.

Sunak has no chance once it goes to the rabid membership. “He’s not British enough” for those lunatics.

They're so dumb, they can't even see they're being played. Truss was a remainer who turned to the right to get up the ladder, now they claim she's a true brexiteer lol.

They only flocked to Johnson because he was so easy to manipulate, politically he's actually reasonably liberal for a tory.

Back