• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

That's because CZ wages are cheaper, not because I'm incapable of filling out export docs

Nothing to do with export docs. Companies like the silk firm above are doing the bureaucracy ok, it is simply that consumers at the other end are charged extra with duties to pay. Same with JD and many firms selling into the EU. When Boris announced the deal it looked like we'd have free trade on goods. While that is the case for things we buy from the EU, the reverse does not seem to be the case for a lot of stuff. That is a terrible deal for the UK.

Reactions: DTA
Nothing to do with export docs. Companies like the silk firm above are doing the bureaucracy ok, it is simply that consumers at the other end are charged extra with duties to pay. Same with JD and many firms selling into the EU. When Boris announced the deal it looked like we'd have free trade on goods. While that is the case for things we buy from the EU, the reverse does not seem to be the case for a lot of stuff. That is a terrible deal for the UK.
There are no tariffs for clothing from the UK being sold to the EU. Look up the classification yourself and check the rate - it's zero.

Doesn't take much research to show this as either political posturing or Brexit being used as an excuse to move overseas and cut costs.

Surely there is massive expense in setting up a new facility though, if it's that or just being better at filling some forms in, it doesn't pass the sniff test for me.

And, if companies can move to the EU and cut costs, then by definition that is a failure of Brexit and the claimed financial benefits it would bring.

There are no tariffs for clothing from the UK being sold to the EU. Look up the classification yourself and check the rate - it's zero.

Doesn't take much research to show this as either political posturing or Brexit being used as an excuse to move overseas and cut costs.

Silk cloth wouldn't be classed as clothing so a mute point. What is the point, is that all of this is complex, difficult, and costly. We have seen it in our industry: customers who are temporarily in Europe want their goods shipped there and now get stumped with fees to pay. Often £200 on a circa £800 order. Rules of origin details complicate matters further. Customers in Ireland (thankfully we don't have much business there) are also causing lots of problems.

I don't know if this will be replicated in the UK from July when the UK starts to implement checks and trade is not just let in wholesale? That said we also had a circa 10 day wait for goods from Germany that were stuck at customs. We have no idea why.

I don't think Brexit needed to be this bad. But these issues are real. And it seems as though they are not just teething problems. They look like longer-term systemic failings. I personally didn't expect these kinds of problems. With 4 years to figure it out you'd have thought we would have found a means to keep trade flowing. But if jobs are being exported because of Brexit, then there is no way to dress it up as a success. We need a public inquiry. You can't promise a 'cakist' treaty where goods are supposed to be free to trade and deliver this. It is not working well for a number of exporters.

Silk cloth wouldn't be classed as clothing so a mute point. What is the point, is that all of this is complex, difficult, and costly. We have seen it in our industry: customers who are temporarily in Europe want their goods shipped there and now get stumped with fees to pay. Often £200 on a circa £800 order. Rules of origin details complicate matters further. Customers in Ireland (thankfully we don't have much business there) are also causing lots of problems.

I don't know if this will be replicated in the UK from July when the UK starts to implement checks and trade is not just let in wholesale? That said we also had a circa 10 day wait for goods from Germany that were stuck at customs. We have no idea why.

I don't think Brexit needed to be this bad. But these issues are real. And it seems as though they are not just teething problems. They look like longer-term systemic failings. I personally didn't expect these kinds of problems. With 4 years to figure it out you'd have thought we would have found a means to keep trade flowing. But if jobs are being exported because of Brexit, then there is no way to dress it up as a success. We need a public inquiry. You can't promise a 'cakist' treaty where goods are supposed to be free to trade and deliver this. It is not working well for a number of exporters.
The whole area of EU VAT has changed too - MOSS included. The paperwork is mounting up which is crippling SME's who export.

Certainly, some of this is 'teething' problems and to be expected but the majority is just the new way things will be done.

I can't comment on what your hauliers are up to, but in the words of the one we use most frequently:

Anyone citing Brexit as an excuse for failing to deliver on time or increase costs is
a) Incompetent
b) Cutting costs and using a convenient excuse to cover for it
c) Using Brexit as an excuse to gouge price increases out of customers.

"Free Speech Champion". Typical right wing horsebrick.

Sorry, i don't want to engage with someone who doesn't think the Holocaust happened, or has genocidal thoughts and wants to wipe black and brown people off the planet.

I miss the days when the Nazi's were the bad guys...

"Free Speech Champion". Typical right wing horsebrick.

Sorry, i don't want to engage with someone who doesn't think the Holocaust happened, or has genocidal thoughts and wants to wipe black and brown people off the planet.

I miss the days when the Nazi's were the bad guys...
I miss the days when we'd tell the Nazis they were the bad guys, rather than cover our ears and pretend they weren't talking.

Hopefully, this has the effect of students just kicking the brick out of any Nazis who are kept around. No need to engage in debate, just maim.

I can't comment on what your hauliers are up to, but in the words of the one we use most frequently:

Anyone citing Brexit as an excuse for failing to deliver on time or increase costs is
a) Incompetent
b) Cutting costs and using a convenient excuse to cover for it
c) Using Brexit as an excuse to gouge price increases out of customers.

Sounds like they are as deluded as you! When EU customers are being charged extra on top of the price they paid for their goods from the UK, then that is not the haulier at fault.

Furthermore, goods from RoW seem to be delayed too. Again nothing to do with hauliers. Just the ports dealing with the extra workload. Which I guess was to be expected. What wasn't expected was selling goods into the EU being severely impaired by duties, taxes and rules of origin.

Sounds like they are as deluded as you! When EU customers are being charged extra on top of the price they paid for their goods from the UK, then that is not the haulier at fault.
If they're being charged extra, the goods aren't from the UK.

Furthermore, goods from RoW seem to be delayed too. Again nothing to do with hauliers. Just the ports dealing with the extra workload. Which I guess was to be expected. What wasn't expected was selling goods into the EU being severely impaired by duties, taxes and rules of origin.
That falls under either incompetent or cost cutting then.

Hermes, for example, have made massive reductions all over the place and are simply blaming Brexit for everything being delayed.

If they're being charged extra, the goods aren't from the UK.

Where do you get your information from? That is simply not true, sadly. For example, we can't export our steal to the EU without tariffs https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55845067

That falls under either incompetent or cost cutting then.

Hermes, for example, have made massive reductions all over the place and are simply blaming Brexit for everything being delayed.

Businesses are setting up distribution centres in the EU not because of the hassle of post-brexit exports, but because of cost cutting? I'm not even sure you believe your own statements! Are UK shellfishermen also 'incompetent' going out of business, nothing to do with the market for their exports being effectively closed.

Hermes have always been the worst courier. If you use them that is on you. If you are buying from companies that use Hermes - why? One of the best UK couriers DPD is actually owned by the French state. Generating money for the French people.

How did we get this brexit stuff so wrong?

Re. the new Free Speech laws for Universities, why didn't the government let Universities address this issue!? Odd one. Are they just playing identity politics? What will happen when fundamentalists use these laws to freely preach on campuses? It could really backfire on the government. Can see the headlines in the Daily Fail now: new government laws allow fundamentalist grooming on campus.

Last edited:
Where do you get your information from? That is simply not true, sadly. For example, we can't export our steal to the EU without tariffs https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55845067
From here:
https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/sections
Where are you getting yours?

That's a fairly worthless and politicised article without making it clearer what those quota limits are and how they compare to current UK-EU sales.

Businesses are setting up distribution centres in the EU not because of the hassle of post-brexit exports, but because of cost cutting? I'm not even sure you believe your own statements! Are UK shellfishermen also 'incompetent' going out of business, nothing to do with the market for their exports being effectively closed.
We were discussing hauliers - the comments were from a haulier about others in the same business.

Many of them are using Brexit as an excuse to extend lead times and increase costs - people who don't know any better are just accepting it's down to Brexit.

Hermes have always been the worst courier. If you use them that is on you. If you are buying from companies that use Hermes - why? One of the best UK couriers DPD is actually owned by the French state. Generating money for the French people.
Of course we don't use Hermes - they're a useful case though. First it was COVID, then Brexit, all part of a line of excuses as to why they can't do their job properly.

Re. the new Free Speech laws for Universities, why didn't the government let Universities address this issue!? Odd one. Are they just playing identity politics? What will happen when fundamentalists use these laws to freely preach on campuses? It could really backfire on the government. Can see the headlines in the Daily Fail now: new government laws allow fundamentalist grooming on campus.
It has been in the hands of universities. They shat the bed so the govt are having to ensure they get it right.

From here:
https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/sections
Where are you getting yours?

That's a fairly worthless and politicised article without making it clearer what those quota limits are and how they compare to current UK-EU sales.

We were discussing hauliers - the comments were from a haulier about others in the same business.

Many of them are using Brexit as an excuse to extend lead times and increase costs - people who don't know any better are just accepting it's down to Brexit.

Of course we don't use Hermes - they're a useful case though. First it was COVID, then Brexit, all part of a line of excuses as to why they can't do their job properly.

It has been in the hands of universities. They shat the bed so the govt are having to ensure they get it right.

Don't forget this page too https://www.gov.uk/topic/business-tax/import-export Hundreds of pages of red tape where there used to be none!

Seem like excuses. Essentially you're blaming anything other than Brexit? Like the businesses are incompetent. Or the hauliers are. Or its the BBC who are presumably reporting untruths. Seems like burying your head in the sand rather than admit what is going on.

You don't believe in encumbered trade. Why defend encumbered trade now?

The UK can't sell tress to Ireland anymore. Bonkers.

“We thought it would be teething problems that would be resolved quickly. It just seems ludicrous really,” said Fulton. “The irony is that I can now get a tree easier from Latvia than I can from Britain, which totally undermines all the work on biosecurity,” he added, referring to the risk of importing pests and diseases.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...land-buyers-to-cancel-orders-for-100000-trees

Don't forget this page too https://www.gov.uk/topic/business-tax/import-export Hundreds of pages of red tape where there used to be none!

Seem like excuses. Essentially you're blaming anything other than Brexit? Like the businesses are incompetent. Or the hauliers are. Or its the BBC who are presumably reporting untruths. Seems like burying your head in the sand rather than admit what is going on.

You don't believe in encumbered trade. Why defend encumbered trade now?
Our trade is smooth and is pretty much guaranteed to be for the next decade or so.

There's no more red tape to export to the EU now than RoW - it's virtually nothing. Look up commodity code, enter onto a form with weight and destination, send to haulier.

People are making a big deal out of nothing.

You forgot to attach the image

bagdad-bob.jpg

Doesn't look like Starmer made much of an impression with his speech, still way before an election but I was hoping for some better ideas. I mean the recovery bond is a non starter, the government can borrow on the open market at less than 1% and if they paid a higher rate then the richer people with spare money to lend would be getting a taxpayer handout.

Doesn't look like Starmer made much of an impression with his speech, still way before an election but I was hoping for some better ideas. I mean the recovery bond is a non starter, the government can borrow on the open market at less than 1% and if they paid a higher rate then the richer people with spare money to lend would be getting a taxpayer handout.
He doesn't have any ideas, that's plain and simple to see

Back