• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

"Hostile environment" is a phrase that the tories used as something to aspire to... as in create a hostile environment. I agree with you that London is wonderfully diverse one of the main reasons for me that it sh its on Paris which is quite segregated.

Oh is it? I will look that up after my auf wiedersehen pet fix

Not having “a hostile environment”, not treating other humans as an enemy, not allowing the racist propaganda of Farage to go unchallenged, let alone lead govt responses and talking points.

An honest conversation using real numbers
, reiteration of the social and economic benefits of immigration.

Respect and education.

Holding the press to some standards of honesty wouldn’t hurt either.

I love this post, absolutely briliant.

However, have bolded out all the bits that WON'T happen unfortunately.

Not having “a hostile environment”, not treating other humans as an enemy, not allowing the racist propaganda of Farage to go unchallenged, let alone lead govt responses and talking points.

An honest conversation using real numbers, reiteration of the social and economic benefits of immigration.

Respect and education.

Holding the press to some standards of honesty wouldn’t hurt either.

I agree but by the nature of your post having an honest conversation would also entail discussing why some people are anti immigration and some of the disadvantages which is where it would just descend into farce becauase at this point no one is really changing their mind in these areas. People are entrenched and sadly it probably wont change for a while.

Both from the Guardian so not exactly impartial but sounds like fun times as usual. At this point i think the Govt are just straight trolling people now to see how much they can get away with.

1)
Recent meetings between Liz Truss, the UK trade secretary, and a pro-hard Brexit thinktank have been reclassified as personal discussions, removing them from the public record and sparking Labour allegations that she wants to conceal the group’s influence on public policy.

Two meetings with Truss and the Institute of Economic Affairs had originally been included in quarterly transparency data published on the government’s website and described as discussing trade. They were removed on Wednesday with a note explaining they were personal meetings – the first such revision since the department was created in 2016.

2)
A company run by long–term associates of Michael Gove and Dominic Cummings has been working behind the scenes with the exams agency Ofqual on its disastrous strategy for determining A-level results, the Guardian can reveal.

Public First, a policy and research firm owned by James Frayne and Rachel Wolf, who both formerly worked for Gove, has been involved on the project with Ofqual since June after being granted a contract that was not put out to competitive tender.

Details of the contract have not been made public and Ofqual declined to say how much public money had been spent hiring Public First.

I've lived in and around London for a long time, it's better here certainly, much much better, thats not the case away from metropolitan areas though, my family live in a small town in the west country, the racism isn't casual, its endemic, like the land that time forgot.

Yeh I've seen it in pockets even recently with a hairdresser in West London but I wouldn't call the UK hostile. People wouldn't settle and people wouldn't travel 18 months across many a sea if it was.

Living and succeeding in a country and city like London is tough, I'm not comparing it to others before people jump on just saying it's a tough life where you often and daily have to jump through hoops to gain any benefit from banks, housing etc, even as a British citizen. My brother in law was homeless after his marriage breakdown, was stuck in a financial roundabout of needing huge levels of paperwork and proof of being solvent or potentially solvent going forward to get back to square one, to the point all he needed was a temporary house for 3 months before he could get back on track and be self sufficient and he couldn't even do that, we helped him out happily but he wanted to initially do it himself. Ive been initially denied small loans in life being solvent and in no debt etc, so the system maybe hostile but I don't think it discriminates as much as people think. The fact we process a large number of migrants who end up integrated into society happily proves that as does the UKs popularity TBH

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-abbott-uk-trade-envoy-staggering-says-labour

Says a lot about the UK nowadays that Australia’s most right wing former PM gets a job as trade envoy. Scara et al will be rubbing their grubby mitts together.
He's not the sharpest tool in the box. A quote from earlier...
"If Britain unilaterally declared that post-Brexit trade with the EU would be tariff-free and quota-free — and that there would be full mutual recognition of standards and credentials — there’s every chance that the EU would swiftly do likewise."

Has anyone Liam Fox's number?

I have not played the video but i know those in it are idiots who i would not like.

I would prefer the national anthem be Jerusalem then GHod save the queen. Nothing against her personally but i dont like a monarchy.

As for land of hope and glory. Dont have a problem with it and am not bothered by it. But when i keep warning of our own Trump here it is things like this that will get him or her elected.

It is a brick song which has racist overtones from a different era, there are far more important and serious issues to deal with. Bringing things like this up all the BBC does is seek to either infuriate people or make others think do we pay a license fee to be told what to think all the time.

If people were really that bothered they would not watch last night of the proms.

Frankly i barely watch the bbc but am taxed for it whether i watch it or not. It is time that thing got put out to pasture.

Back